Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

Will an autonomous masturbation option be available?

If there is a demand, somebody will fill it...

Dave

Will an autonomous masturbation option be available?

If there is a demand, somebody will fill it...

Dave

The device should play music while in operation. Something like the Eagles song 'Take It Easy'.

Keith

• Like 1

I think it will happen sooner or later, but we are far from it happening soon. Just because its there doesnt mean it will be adopted and accepted unless its shoved down our throats. And we dont need Big Brother regulating any more than they do now. 

I'm still waiting for the flying cars dangit.

Just because its there doesnt mean it will be adopted and accepted unless its shoved down our throats

Depends on how you interpret "shoved down our throats."  UPS, FedEx, Amazon, the trucking companies, taxi companies, in fact, any business with significant overhead, insurance, labor, and other costs associated with drivers will adopt as a business imperative.  Beyond that, I find it hard to believe there are not more out there who care more for the safety of their families enough to invest in this immediately just for that reason.  I certainly will.  May a lot of our forum members live out in the boonies or small towns where the risks are much less.  But I live in Houston and each and every commute is a butt pucker affair.  Visibility was perhaps 50 feet a couple of days last week and the idiots kept flying out of nowhere as though they were the only people on the road.  Even those two delays I mentioned due to human error that delayed me nearly an hour total would not happen since the car would know of an accident the moment it was reported and take action to reroute.

Yes, there are some downsides to some.  None at all for me. 

Finally, bear in mind the illusion of democracy.  Big business wins, and when the stakes are also in line with Federal priorities what the people think isn't an issue.  The overreach of the interstate commerce clause means Washington can say, as it has successfully so many times in the past, "We aren't saying you have to ban manual driving on your Interstates, but if you don't forget about Federal money."  How do you think the 55mph limit would have fared in an vote?

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

I just think it is many, many years away before/if being implemented.

Many? Maybe.  I betting on 10.  The case is too compelling and the technology is proven.  Matter of getting the cost down and we still have a lot of expertise in that area.  Many, many?  No way.  Too much money at stake.  Mars is "many, many" years away, but when there's money to be made things move faster.

Dave

And, for all those who insist they are much better than any computer at determining how to handle a car...at least the big rigs will get out of YOUR way instead of vice versa given they'll have better sense.  Gotta be something in that you are going to like unless you just enjoy competing with 40 tons of "you are just a fly." 

Dave

To further help paint the elegance of technology we have cars that an measure a broadside wind gust & alter suspension rebound rates as well as steering rate adjustments so the car continues straight through a wind gust.

Also, keeping cars centered in the lines, the ability to maintain perfect trailing distance with cruise control- even panic stopping the car to zero mph. Or let's say you doze off and drift over the shoulder line... Your car vibrates the steering wheel, pulls you back into the lane and then makes some audible tones to wake you back up.

These driver aides (plus a ridiculous many more) save lives, reduce accidents and (should) lower insurance rates. Our vehicles able of full autonomy still require a driver be present. What if you are going through a snow storm and the car can't see the lines or other cars through the white out- it still needs you.

Depends on how the system functions. If the system is optical - it must have road lines to base off of. If it's magnetic- then it doesn't need you. And same for seeing in front of you. Optical- needs you. PWMDR or infrared - doesn't need you.

My understanding standing is that current technology is all of the above and GPS as well. 

Dave

I'm pretty much with Dave here. There is a lot to say about the technology.

I'd like to see it used, first, in the limited application of Interstate highways. On the long open road portions it will put cars and trucks on true cruise control. In city-area Interstates it could do away with the problems of merging and general slow downs.

There is a subset of the issue which I'll call urban driving collision avoidance. I have not read the actuarial data which must be out there. But I expect that the great majority of insurance claims are fender benders, with some whiplash -- that is what I see in the courts of Cook County. It looks to me that cars with federal bumpers are very expensive to repair. If an onboard computer would prevent these, people are going to be better off.

So the insurance rates are not from the few, big multi-death accidents; they are from the small ones which occur 10,000 times more often. This is basically why you get a better insurance rate with a high deductible. That is where the "risk" is.

Maybe also, the new systems will take control of the automobile away from drunk drivers. Many of the big accidents are caused by that. No further explanation is needed by me.

WMcD

You'd like to first test it on the interstate, at highway speeds,.... pheeeew, you're a trusting soul Gil.

Autonomous vehicle control, not for my car thank you very much. Give me the options to choose as I see fit, along with the no brainer options like anti-lock brakes, anti-skid and dynamic stability control that I can turn on or off as I see fit, etc. etc., but please keep autonomous Hal out of my vehicle.

Some people are content to have idiot lights on their vehicle display, I'm with the crowd that prefers mechanical gauges. Call me analog, but I don't trust no sticking computers, and don't want no sticking computer dumbing down my ride.

FWIW, these systems were first implemented decades, and decades ago, and are still being used and implemented today, but they're limited specifically for use in mass public transportation systems.

Unless you live in a heavily congested city, or like to work on you laptop while cruising down the highway across wide open spaces, keep it on the shelf, or sell it to the people in S. Florida.

I'm referring to current road going vehicles.. Productions cars. The ones I deal with don't use all systems simultaneously- they don't use gps with other vehicles, which is why I say the driver still needs to be present & aware.

I don't know a ton about what's out there as prototype right now.

17 Ways Driverless Cars Could Change America

Well balanced look including some areas I'd not thought about.  Turns out the trade out of privacy has another, positive side.  It's no secret that police often use small infractions or other excuses to stop a car and search it.  They will lost that tactic.  Some interesting other things as well.

One not mentioned that I saw elsewhere will really piss off the "I want my own horse" crowd.  Liability insurance is going to gradually go through the roof for those insisting on manual control was automation takes over for others.  Since the car and system will know when a car is being driven manually the more who do NOT drive manually will see dropping liability rates, while those who insist on manual control will see their rates rise due to a shrinking pool.  It's business.

Dave

Oh my, I better jump on the wagon them. 

I'll be my insurance premiums for the life I own my "I'm In Control Car" won't even begin to touch the premium price you're gonna pay for your autonomous chauffeur, just so you can  feel warm and fuzzy while your wasted, and Hal can drives you home.... safely of course, and maybe he'll even open the Bay Door for you, heheheheehhehh

post-10277-0-87380000-1426556670_thumb.j

Edited by Gilbert

I'll be my insurance premiums for the life I own my "I'm In Control Car" won't even begin to touch the premium price you're gonna pay for your autonomous chauffeur,

Two points:

1. Insurance is not arbitrary.  It's set by actuarial tables.  Who pays more?  The person with 20 times less accidents or you?

2. Most experts say it won't be possible to hold the occupant liable for accidents related to the vehicles autonomous features.  Certainly makes sense to me. 

Here's what people with money on the line and expertise say:

"AT&T Mobile Business Solutions president and CEO Ralph de la Vega said AT&T had already found customers were willing to put off the purchase of a new vehicle in anticipation of connected features that would emerge in the near future.In 2016, Renault-Nissan will bring to market car models with the ability to drive autonomously in traffic jams, with the driver able to take his or her hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. “That’s ready today, we just need the regulators to accept it,” said Ghosn.

The autonomous vehicles differ from true driverless vehicles, such as the ones Google has been testing in California, as humans retain an element of control. Ghosn said they will limit accidents and make driving more pleasant.

Ghosn went on to predict that by 2018, a second wave of innovation around autonomous cars would see autonomous highway driving begin to go mainstream,  (Gil, that is 5 years ahead of my predictions from 2 years ago...I am really not very accurate)

He said city driving would go mainstream by 2020 and conceded it was much more complicated because the technology to make sure autonomous vehicles are able to take rational decisions in emergencies is not yet ready."

So, looks like everything is SEVERAL years ahead of our last discussion about 2 years ago.

Looks to me like you WILL be upgraded, like it or not no matter how hard you beat that horse.

Dave