Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

One of my favorite Pontiacs belonged to the brother-in-law of one of my best friends.  He always had cool cars and motorcycles.  His black 63 Grand Prix with 421 tri-power, 4-speed, posi  and 8 lug wheels was my favorite. It looked like this.

Grand Prix.jpg

In an attempt to keep Dave's thread on topic, as much as I enjoy cars, autonomous vehicles can't get here soon enough.  The savings in lives, time and resources will be immense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

In an attempt to keep Dave's thread on topic, as much as I enjoy cars, autonomous vehicles can't get here soon enough.  The savings in lives, time and resources will be immense.

Breaking with tradition?  It is a natural progression to go from boring to well, at the least, more interesting.

The more I've thought about it, the more I realize how they are going about readying us.  A significant share of vehicles in the normal price range now offer assisted backup, lane assist, auto braking, pedestrian alerts, and other components of a true AV.  These serve as training tools to get owners to trust them.  Further, it allows the builders to continue to refine software and systems with minimum liability as the driver still is supposed to be fully responsible and is required to be ensured.  There is no doubt in my mind that full AV systems are already much safer than humans, but not good enough for the builders to be ready to assume liability and release the driver. 

When it happens, it will largely be simply connecting the systems that have already been proven by drivers and many, perhaps even a majority, of the vehicles will already have on board into a unified system. 

Granted, one or more may "jump the gun" and go it on their own.  But most will wait on each other and build confidence before accepting responsibility.  While I'd like to see it happen quicker, I certainly would endorse this system if I were an auto executive.  Reasonable and prudent. 

Dave

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, DizRotus said:

So the cars that run on ethanol will be pulled over for DWI?

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Mallette said:

The more I've thought about it, the more I realize how they are going about readying us.  A significant share of vehicles in the normal price range now offer assisted backup, lane assist, auto braking, pedestrian alerts, and other components of a true AV.  These serve as training tools to get owners to trust them.  Further, it allows the builders to continue to refine software and systems with minimum liability as the driver still is supposed to be fully responsible and is required to be ensured.  There is no doubt in my mind that full AV systems are already much safer than humans, but not good enough for the builders to be ready to assume liability and release the driver. 

When it happens, it will largely be simply connecting the systems that have already been proven by drivers and many, perhaps even a majority, of the vehicles will already have on board into a unified system. 

Granted, one or more may "jump the gun" and go it on their own.  But most will wait on each other and build confidence before accepting responsibility.  While I'd like to see it happen quicker, I certainly would endorse this system if I were an auto executive.  Reasonable and prudent. 

Dave

Congress can give them tort immunity as part of their seeking approval to mass market them.  

Then it goes through the gauntlet of special interests and what pops out the other end is anyone's guess.

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Congress can give them tort immunity as part of their seeking approval to mass market them. 

Well, you are the lawyer...but I can't see tort immunity holding up in court as somebody has to be responsible and the "driver" can't be held so given he has no control.  However, I suppose it could be argued that since, even in a less than perfect form, AV's will be so much safer that it remains in society's best interest. 

As you say, the outcome will be interesting.

Dave

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Well, you are the lawyer...but I can't see tort immunity holding up in court as somebody has to be responsible and the "driver" can't be held so given he has no control.  However, I suppose it could be argued that since, even in a less than perfect form, AV's will be so much safer that it remains in society's best interest. 

Dave

Big Tobacco got Congressional immunity.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Congress can easily grant tort immunity.  They did it as part of Tobacco Settlement, and there are many, many other examples.  The question is will they pass it to prevent a barrier to the technology or speed the transition.  

We live in a capitalist economy, the market isn't concerned with what is in society's best interest.  Public policy is set by legislation and regulation.  Hence the need for FDA, USDA, EPA, FCC, etc.  Seat belts and airbags are in society's best interest but had to be mandated.

When they are ready to get cars to market they will either have to go state by state (very slow) or get Congress to preempt the field of regulation and open it up is mass.  Auto safety is one area that Congress has preempted.

I think that your idea about the convenience and added productivity is what will initially drive the sales on AVs.  It will be a luxury item at first and will catch on.  How fast will be a function of the regulations and laws surrounding it.

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I think that your idea about the convenience and added productivity is what will initially drive the sales on AVs.

The components are already mainstream.  I think the "luxury" period will be brief as people quickly learn that, besides the productivity and convenience, they are far safer for children and loved ones. 

Dave

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mallette said:

The components are already mainstream.  I think the "luxury" period will be brief as people quickly learn that, besides the productivity and convenience, they are far safer for children and loved ones. 

Dave

I meant a Level 4 or 5 car.  Those will be a "luxury" item  in areas they can be approved initially. 

The "luxury period" will depend on the cost (including any insurance savings or added costs), patents/IP (whether there is competition and how much), and whether there are tax incentives or disincentives.

I wonder if you purchase a sports car if they have a button you can push that says to drive like a race car driver so I can get home fast. Another button for peeling rubber. Another one to purposely tailgate. I can see the aftermarket chip suppliers going bananas.

JJK

2 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I wonder if you purchase a sports car if they have a button you can push that says to drive like a race car driver so I can get home fast. Another button for peeling rubber. Another one to purposely tailgate.

JJK

You mean the Dodge Ram driver version?