Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

5 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Not at all scared. 

Yeah that was my feeling too until I read that they actually have a logarithm that replaces lawyers.  I mean come on, engineers, computer programmers, artists, those can be replaced with software, but lawyers?  Never.  Dang, why did my computer write that? 

1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

That is only $2 trillion.  Yeah, it is going to be a mess no matter how it goes.

The economic boom will be huge.  Consider the economy of Detroit between 1910 and 1925.  A million jobs, good paying jobs, created to supply the auto industry as autos made there way out to the farms and other places it was predicted to be decades before they'd show up.  it's about to happen again.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Without enumerating all the other savings that will come with this technology I believe that even I will have one.

You do know that they are not planning to sell them, right?  It is a service, not something you own and have to park. Bummer when the guy before you puked all over the interior, but how can you complain when it comes if you call?

3 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Yeah that was my feeling too until I read that they actually have a logarithm that replaces lawyers.

Big on tech as I am, my friend, I suspect that, while an algorithm may point you at what you need, it's going to be a while before a computer delivers a closing argument like Perry Mason.  Look him up if you're too young to know what I am referring to.

Dave

onsider the economy of Detroit between 1910 and 1925.  A million jobs, good paying jobs, created to supply the auto industry

Wait, they are going to build them in the good old US of A with union workers?  I think you better get the memo out fast before they start building cardboard housing for all those Chinese workers.

2 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

You do know that they are not planning to sell them, right? 

They are already selling them, but, yes, I fully understand they will be basically public commodities summoned on demand and returned to the fleet.  Makes sense.  Absurd to spend money on something used only an hour or two per day.  They'll be in all varieties for various purposes up to, and including, RVAV's with full acommodations.  It's going to be an awesome world!  For those who want the thrill of hands on a Corvette convertible or whatever, I believe certain roads and routes will be reserved for this purpose as well as other closed courses.  Sort of like the LP, driving will fall completely out of style and then be taken up more and more as a nostalgic hobby.  

Dave

Wait, they are going to build them in the good old US of A with union workers? 

Tesla's biggest operation is that multi-billion dollar plant in Nevada for batteries.  There will be plenty of US jobs in the industry.  

Dave

Perry Mason.  Look him up if you're too young to know what I am referring to.

I have heard about him.  He was the third guy to sign the Declaration of Independence as I recall.  Had a great career until his secretary said that he sexually harassed her by saying "nice titties." He always claimed that he said "nice kitties" about the kittens she brought to work, and he refused to quit, but no one would hire him, and he dies in an alley with a bottle of cheap booze in his hand.  I guess an algorithm would be hard pressed to duplicate that, but why bother.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Big on tech as I am, my friend, I suspect that, while an algorithm may point you at what you need, it's going to be a while before a computer delivers a closing argument like Perry Mason.  Look him up if you're too young to know what I am referring to.

Dave

Yeah, he got really fat too. :)  

You mention the economy from 1910 to 1925... kind of hard to think of that time without thinking of just a few years later and the depression that lasted almost as long.  Not saying that is necessarily what follows but... ?

If you want to see something scary, watch the "Autofac" short story on "Electric Dreams," the new Amazon scifi series.  See if you don't see "Autofac" as "Amazon."  Phillip K. Dick was a true visionary, like so many of his golden age peers.  Several other good ones as well...

Dave

20 minutes ago, Mallette said:

It would have happened anyway and been much worse if the Okie's hadn't had their model T's to head west in...

Dave

Wow, your glass is half full isn't it?  Here I was thinking about World War II to get us out of it.

And the next thing he knows, he wakes up in Cambodia, where a guy tells him it is his lucky day, and they are paying 65 cents per hour.

If it's like the height of the Great Depression, he will be delighted to get it!  BTW, I rather like Cambodia.  Not been across the border, but love the Khmer ruins in the nearby regions and the people there.  

Dave

1 minute ago, muel said:

Wow, your glass is half full isn't it? 

You bet.  With the recently announced cure for type 1 diabetes I plan to stick around for a while.  That appears to be a short track as the gene therapy is much more predictable and safer than many approaches to disease that take years to test.  Human trials are expected VERY soon.  

Dave