Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

What the hell? My brother is a type I diabetic. In amazingly good health for someone 55 years old, but what an awful disease.  What are you talking about?

Plenty about it on the web.  Here's a random link: http://beta.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-gene-therapy-diabetes-20180105-story.html

My research suggests that it will be fast tracked to general usage.  I am thinking 3 years or less.  I get along with mine quite well also...but I could certainly do without it, the pump, etc.  It would be nice to have an appetite again.  

Dave

7 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

No, @muel he is just from Texas. Critical thinking is outlawed there.

I am from Texarkana and a, by definition, "Texarkana Baby."  Dad a west Texas cowboy, and mother a genuine Arkansas Hillbilly who always said she'd still be in the hills if FDR hadn't built a road in.

Dave

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

It was supposed to be a road in, not a road out.

Well, most folks left.  Still have a few relatives up there growing weed and making moonshine.  Dirt up there is literally a description of "dirt poor" in that you'd starve to death on a hundred acres.  Grows nothing but pines and pot.  

Dave

6 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Yuck.  My wife's family came west to Oregon from Oklahoma during the dust bowl.  Never did understand why people live places that are not hospitable.

Prolly cause we can't all fit on Oahu. And beach front in San Diego iz a bit pricey.

26 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Never did understand why people live places that are not hospitable.

Can be compelling.  I remarked a week after being posted for my last year in the Army at Fort Bliss that it was the most Godfersaken Fort Stinkn' Desert I'd ever seen.  The guy I was talking to just looked around towards the mountains and said "If you stay here one full turn of the seasons, you may leave but you'll look over your shoulder and never forget."  He was right.  Had my first white Christmas at the 30's adobe house I rented right on the Rio Grande.  Magnificent, beauty beyond belief.  And driving into the desert in a 4WD after a rain was stunning with the explosion of color from the plants.  Fact is I still think longingly of it at times.  Getting into a car on a 110 degree day without AC was murderous for a minute or so, but as soon as you were moving the less than 10% humidity had you cool and comfy.  And the low cost swamp coolers kept my adobe delicious inside at maybe 30% or so humidity.   

I am completely horrified at the thought of living further north than where I am.  Never spent a year in a frigid zone so can't say I'd not find something to like about it.  Right now, I enjoy snow for a few days then gradually hate both the cold and snow.  Basic breeding is such that if it's too cold to be outside naked, it is too cold.  Actually, waiting on snow for the evening even in this relatively temperate zone.  But it won't be long until it starts warming up towards the glorious springs of this region followed by a gradually warming towards the heat of August with the symphonies of locusts in the evening as the sun goes down.   

Dave

6 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Hey, Washington State takes back seat to no one when it comes to recreational marijuana.  In California, you can buy it, but you can't smoke it.  I make my kid ride his bike to the store when he uses the last of mine.

Just think that in a year or two you can load him in an autonomous car, program the nearest dispensary and send him on his way.

Which raises another question - will the age to "drive" (actually sit) a car be lowered? If this tech is so far advanced will 12 year olds be allowed behind the "wheel"?  

1 minute ago, richieb said:

Which raises another question - will the age to "drive" (actually sit) a car be lowered? If this tech is so far advanced will 12 year olds be allowed behind the "wheel"?  

You would not believe the legal ink that has been spilled over that question.  A lot of people are drafting model AV laws in the hope that theirs will emerge as the chosen one, and that is indeed one of the questions.  The majority view a year ago was that it was the same standard as leaving a child home alone.  That could be 12, 14 or 16 depending on location.  Butut it probably will not be tied to driving.  Many am I ever glad that all that research had a purpose.