Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

No but the 1%ers do.

Haven't been around one in years and could care less.  Speaks to me more about relative intelligence than "wow!" when I see 100k plus automobiles and such.  Happiness is priceless!  Really takes a lot of living to come to full terms with that.

Dave

5 hours ago, Mallette said:

I am certain that a medical Watson could diagnose and prescribe for the vast majority of common ailments far more accurately and efficiently than a doctor or nurse practitioner...but rather doubt the AMA is going to push it soon as it means lost money.

Maybe, but I have my doubts.  People are so difficult to diagnose, especially when they are older and suffer "chronic" illness.  They describe their symptoms differently, and actually, they probably experience them differently.  There is still a highly subjective element to health.  

In addition, there is no escaping that "trial and error" is a necessary approach in many "logical" scenarios.  It's a process along the lines of the old program, which prompts you to, "Think of an animal."  Then, it narrows down to the animal by ruling out what it it is not.  That is all trial and error.  Medicine works much the some way.  The one difference between medical professional and lay people is that the professionals get a jump ahead in the game.  They start closer to the finish line because of their knowledge of centuries of collective wisdom.

5 hours ago, Mallette said:

Yet another part of the huge paradigm shift in the works.

It really is!  Think of all the workforce committed to driving people and cargo from place to place.  Millions and millions of jobs displaced.  How many new millions created?  I don't know.  Maybe more than we lose.  Time will tell.

Interestingly, though, certain trends will be immutable.  Non-ownership will be one.  I think most all of us agree on that.  Consider what this means in addition.  For example, there will be no reason to have a giant parking lot at the building where you work since you won't need to let your owned car sit there, useless and doing nothing, all day long.  Concierge will be the new thing.  Just ample drive-through space.  Real estate use will be more efficient without having to commit so much to parking spaces.    

Wait until we have hovering autos.  What will become of roads and freeways?   Will we just let the grass grow back over them?  How interesting it would be to see a world without roads.

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

oooooh, a note of distinction. give that man a merit badge.

Not sure what your experience with Martinis is, but anyone in the top 1% of Martini Shakers has my sincere admiration and a standing invitation to some to my place for drinks.  There is a certain Martini Magic that defies description, but I know it when I taste it. So I am thinking medal more than merit badge.

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Always the eternal optomist aren't you.

I don't have a horse in this race, so optimism isn't a factor.  Just a matter of the incredible acceleration of everything in my lifetime which continues to do so.  I am not ready to guess more than about 10 years in the future at this point and even then think I'd miss.  After that, it's a crap shoot...but unless we figure a fool proof way to off ourselves it's gonna be much more than we can see.  As the great one said "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine...it's queerer than we CAN imagine."  I believe that.  The world I live in right now is beyond anything I imagined as a young man...and I had a pretty good imagination even then.

Dave

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Not sure what your experience with Martinis is, but anyone in the top 1% of Martini Shakers has my sincere admiration and a standing invitation to some to my place for drinks.  There is a certain Martini Magic that defies description, but I know it when I taste it. So I am thinking medal more than merit badge.

Come to pilgrimage.  I'd love to meet you...but YOU need to meet Carl.  

Dave

• Moderators

The folks who are starting to receive their Model 3 are reselling their cars with a 5K to 10K

"Most owners seem to be going for a $5,000 to $10,000 premium on the sticker price of a new Model 3 considering the vehicle costs between $49,000 and $59,000 under the configurations currently available.

That’s already a significant premium for used vehicles, albeit they are almost new with very low mileage, but it’s also before accounting the impact of the $7,500 tax credit and the $2,500 California state incentive (depending on income eligibility) since most of those vehicles are in California.

Several auctions ended without reaching the sticker price of the new car."

On 1/17/2018 at 7:07 PM, dwilawyer said:

GM, or Ford, or Toyota, any one of them could put him under by price compitition because he has lost the tech advantage

Tesla never had the tech advantage when it comes to AV....

Ford, GM, Volvo, Toyota, etc... have all been way ahead of the game. They just weren't announcing it because the technology wasn't ready yet. Heck, even Google (Waymo) is leap years ahead. This outta make Dave happy:

https://waymo.com/apply/

I can tell you they're all way more advanced than Tesla's toys...oh, and they know what makes a good car too. The Model S is horrible from a car enthusiast perspective. I'd take the Chevy Bolt all day long over the Model S. I haven't driven a Model 3 yet though, but my expectations are low.

As far as EV vehicles are concerned - keep an eye out for Chrysler. China is totally the world leader in terms of EVs right now, but once the battery industry hits a certain performance/price target, you're gonna see a crap ton of EV's pouring out of Chrysler. The engineering teams at the large automotive companies are totally aware of electric technology and are easily way ahead of the game. You just don't know it yet because batteries aren't ready to slam the industry yet. Many years ago I had predicted 2025 as the year that the battery market will hit those targets. Ironically, articles from several investment journals predicted the same year a few weeks after I shared my predictions with family and friends. They must have all attended the same conference and connected the same dots.

At that point, I predict Tesla stops making cars - and they'll probably return to focusing on manufacturing batteries and capitalizing on power station infrastructure. It's possible they might stick around making cars if they actually learn how to make a good car, but I'm not holding my breath.

It is interesting to me though that AV almost assumes EV in my head. If you can do AV, then it doesn't matter if its gas or electric, but it's a much more natural story to do AV with an EV. I think that's why the lines blur between the two.

But ya, China is totally dominating the EV market right now - and for good reason because the air quality over there is horrendous. It'll be interesting to keep tabs on that too.

12 minutes ago, DrWho said:

Why all the animosity and hate towards Tesla. If they had not gone first, we would be nowhere near where we are now.

Tesla never had the tech advantage when it comes to AV....

Tech advantage is worthless in business because it has a shelf life of a week.  Business advantage wins every time, but Tesla looks questionable there.

13 minutes ago, DrWho said:

hey know what makes a good car too.

Then why don't they make one.

14 minutes ago, DrWho said:

The Model S is horrible from a car enthusiast perspective.

This is literally the first negative thing I have ever heard about the Model S.

14 minutes ago, DrWho said:

I haven't driven a Model 3 yet though, but my expectations are low.

The reviews I have read have all been glowing.

18 minutes ago, DrWho said:

they might stick around making cars if they actually learn how to make a good car, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hmm, 2017 customer satisfaction ratings. I hope they clean up their act.

Rank Brand Owner Satisfaction
(Average of all models)
2018 2017
1 Tesla 90
2 Porsche 85
3 NA Genesis 81
4  4 Chrysler 78
5  2 Audi 76
6  1 Mazda 76
7  3 Subaru 76
8  3 Toyota 76
9  3 Honda 75
10  2 Lincoln 75
11  5 Mini 73
12  5 Ram 73
13  5 Kia 72
14  5 Chevrolet 72
15  1 BMW 72
16  5 GMC 72
17  2 Ford 70
18  8 Lexus 70
19  1 Volvo 69
20  3 Dodge 68
21  4 Jeep 68
22  3 Mercedes-Benz 67
23  1 Volkswagen 67
24  11 Hyundai 67
25  4 Buick 66
26  4 Cadillac 64
27 Infiniti 60
28 NA Mitsubishi 58
29  1 Nissan 58
30  4 Acura 58
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Hmm, 2017 customer satisfaction ratings. I hope they clean up their act.

How many of them are car enthusiasts? I'd imagine the car enthusiasts just don't end up buying them....

I consider Top Gear (the old Top Gear with Clarkson) to be one of the best representations for the car enthusiast. They have nothing but railed on Tesla from the very beginning. But it's not just Top Gear - I've not read a single review from anyone that enjoys driving for the sake of driving talk about it as being an excellent driving experience (yes I know, you can find car magazines that speak highly, but they're motivated by other things). The suspension rides horribly and makes you feel disconnected from the road, the brakes feel weak because the car ways a million pounds, the car rolls a ton despite its low CG (the much higher mass has the same effect as moving the CG higher when comparing against a lighter car). The seats are uncomfortable, most of the interior doesn't follow any ergonomic standard. You just feel disconnected from the road, but not in a comfortable luxurious way. Ya sure, it accelerates quick from a stop, but that gets boring after a while. It's just not confidence inspiring and you spend all your time analyzing if you have enough energy to arrive to your destination. It's just an incredibly unrelaxing experience....always making me nervous about everything. And if you do any spirited driving, then you gotta watch out for the braking system just deciding to turn off as you fight with all your might to keep the car from flying off the corner. The Model S can't even do one lap around a track like VIR before going into limp mode.

Now compare that to the Chevy Bolt....which is an incredibly fun car to drive, despite being slower and having way less features. The thing is, a car enthusiast doesn't car about the tech or engineering details. Car enthusiasts just enjoy the process of driving. Sure, I might follow the tech to understand what I might like, but at the end of the day the Bolt is such a joy to drive. It's comfortable, puts you in touch with the road, inspires confidence, doesn't fight against you, etc.... and I've never worried about the braking system turning off on me. I have no idea if it could do a lap at VIR, but it certainly didn't complain when I drove the snot out of one just a few months ago. Trail braking in a Bolt? Heck ya. I wouldn't feel confident attempting that in a Model S.

I know the pure car enthusiast is a minority, and Dave thinks they're all going away once AV's take over, but dang it I love driving. I just don't get pleasure from the Model S....and I went into it thinking it was one of the coolest things ever. I was even skeptical of Clarkson until driving one - and then it all made sense what he was saying. I'm surprised companies don't hire him to do consulting.

Anyways, just one ignorant man's opinion....please don't be annoyed if you love the Model S. It's just not a sports or luxury car in my book. At that price point you could be in an Evora, or DB9, Porsche 911, or have three Bolts! Haha.