Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

17 hours ago, Mallette said:

Serious thanks, Gilbert. Really miss yowing with you, my  friend. Still hope to visit someday. I could learn so much from you about smoking and cooking. 

Dave

Once you get settled in, let me know your address so I can send you MAGA hat to where around CA.  Maybe a MAGA bumper sticker for your new car.

I'd trade-up to that in a heartbeat, if only it were legal for the occasional recreational use.....  with OK now okay with prescription.....  it's only a matter of time before the deep Red State Texas realizes the errr of their ways, but I'll likely be pushing daisy's by then.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
25 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

What? Where?

Oh my word.

His quote:

The engineering of this car is by far the best I've ever owned. But it's the first that actively tries to kill me. I was on SuperCruise at rush hour in a construction zone in Sherman-Denison at 60. Car suddenly attempt to pull HARD right into a concrete rail. I had to pull with all my strength left to prevent collision...and then it tried to pull hard left into the left lane and another concrete rail! Serious butt pucker experience and I've not use it again.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

His quote:

The engineering of this car is by far the best I've ever owned. But it's the first that actively tries to kill me. I was on SuperCruise at rush hour in a construction zone in Sherman-Denison at 60. Car suddenly attempt to pull HARD right into a concrete rail. I had to pull with all my strength left to prevent collision...and then it tried to pull hard left into the left lane and another concrete rail! Serious butt pucker experience and I've not use it again.

What make, model?

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2015 at 7:20 AM, Mallette said:

Delphi predicts that the equipment to make a car autonomous will be 5k by 2019, a pretty small price to pay for "insurance" that will reduce you chance of death or injury by at least 90%

So is it safe to say Delphi was wrong?

Waymo One is interesting, but it's in a dedicated city and I believe it has a team of people in remote control of the vehicle...so it's not fully autonomous although it looks like it. That autonomous system costs a lot more than $5k though....

But I do think the only autonomous vehicle model that makes sense is a rideshare / taxi type service. This way the burden of maintenance goes onto the vehicle owner, which is paramount to autonomous safety / feasibility. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2015 at 12:18 PM, Mallette said:

I've lost friends and relatives over the years, and been involved in accidents that luckily didn't prove fatal.

What about the wreck you had where you blamed your self driving car as the cause?

What are the goals of self driving vehicles ?

Taxis like the original movie Recall ?

Clear military applications

Domestic policing automated ?

Your vehicle can be remote controlled or self limiting

" Sorry Dave, you can't go there "

"Sorry Dave, you already used your miles for the week"

• Like 1