Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

• 6 months later...

GM says manual driving will be outlawed within 20 years.  I agree, but it will be illegal on freeways at least within 10.  And Elon Musk will field an electric autonomous 18 wheeler in 2 years with 400 mile range and 30 minute charge.  

Things happening faster than I predicted.

Dave

Look around at your fellow drivers.  Is it hard to believe the technology exists TODAY to enable an autonomous vehicle to do a better job of observing, assessing, analyzing, and  reacting to the road environment than most of the cell phone using morons out there now?

13 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Look around at your fellow drivers.  Is it hard to believe the technology exists TODAY to enable an autonomous vehicle to do a better job of observing, assessing, analyzing, and  reacting to the road environment than most of the cell phone using morons out here now?

You're right.  Put it in everybody else's car.

• Like 1

Yeah this is exactly what I want, more incompetent government intrusion. Our "transportation devices" programmed by Big Brother with help from "The Big Three". What could go wrong with that idea?! Every election cycle we can expect new programming that our "great leaders" feel best for our transportation needs. A Total load of Bull Shit. Glad I have an "anti-system" transportation device already in my garage. But thinking back we were soon to be waving to George Jetson as we all flew the friendly sky's to the office. 

My understanding is that the negative responses here don't compare to the 10 year period in which it became clear that the relationship of man to his horse was about to go away after several millennia as being the measure of the man.  However, it happened anyway.  

Good luck with the transition.  

As for me, given the frequency of my trips up the two lane highways through the mountains north of here to where my son is in school, I look forward to having the trucks move to the turnouts when they are holding up traffic which NEVER happens now.  Plus just being able to enjoy the view rather than negotiate the hairpins.  

As well as knowing I am safer than if I was at home.

Dave

Ah Dave, come on now - "I am safer than if I was at home". 

Let's just pretend that all the ga-zillion variables involved in autonomous transportation devices (they can't be called cars at that point) are solved and safety is at 100%. So then what, you arrive at the store, movie, mall, quick stop, etc. only to encounter a madman wielding a semi-auto. Or will our great congressional "thinkers" have a 100% fail safe plan for that too?!

Like my trip to Costco yesterday morning - my wife and I made a quick stop there and left the store when before we were at the first turn after leaving the parking lot the streets were full, and I mean full, of police, fire and ambulance's. Oh, yeah I forgot about the two SWAT vehicles. An off duty cop, shopping,  had just gunned down a gun wielding looney shouting and flailing his arms, gun drawn. From how it was described right at the inside cart return where two minutes prior I had dropped our cart. 

So yes it will very exhilarating getting in my electrically silent running device knowing I am perfectly safe from cell phone talking, texting, drinking drivers. Only to emerge from this peace and quiet packing my 9mm to keep me safe from that point forward. Oh yeah, can't wait for this safe  pie-in-the-sky cocoon that is being dreamed up. You, figuratively, can have it. 

So excuse me, I feel the need to fire up and just listen to the fire breathin'death machine, six speed shifting, tire roasting machine in our garage. I love the smell of Premium at midnight.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richieb said:

Let's just pretend that all the ga-zillion variables involved in autonomous transportation devices (they can't be called cars at that point) are solved and safety is at 100%. So then what, you arrive at the store, movie, mall, quick stop, etc. only to encounter a madman wielding a semi-auto. Or will our great congressional "thinkers" have a 100% fail safe plan for that too?!

Like my trip to Costco yesterday morning - my wife and I made a quick stop there and left the store when before we were at the first turn after leaving the parking lot the streets were full, and I mean full, of police, fire and ambulance's. Oh, yeah I forgot about the two SWAT vehicles. An off duty cop, shopping,  had just gunned down a gun wielding looney shouting and flailing his arms, gun drawn. From how it was described right at the inside cart return where two minutes prior I had dropped our cart. 

So yes it will very exhilarating getting in my electrically silent running device knowing I am perfectly safe from cell phone talking, texting, drinking drivers. Only to emerge from this peace and quiet packing my 9mm to keep me safe from that point forward. Oh yeah, can't wait for this safe  pie-in-the-sky cocoon that is being dreamed up. You, figuratively, can have it. 

So excuse me, I feel the need to fire up and just listen to the fire breathin'death machine, six speed shifting, tire roasting machine in our garage. I love the smell of Premium at midnight.  

The smell of premium reminds me of my 427 Vette getting 6 miles to the gallon without flooring the gas pedal. I think it might have been somewhere around 2.5 miles per gallon if I was in a particularly ugly mood.

JJK

16 hours ago, richieb said:

Precisely the stated target, my friend...neither my idea nor would I assume it if I had not seen it stated and read the rationale and found it rational.  The goal is as safe as an airliner, and airline travel is statistically significantly safer than being at home.  

No need to take my word for it, check the facts.

Dave

23 hours ago, richieb said:

Yeah this is exactly what I want, more incompetent government intrusion. Our "transportation devices" programmed by Big Brother with help from "The Big Three". What could go wrong with that idea?! Every election cycle we can expect new programming that our "great leaders" feel best for our transportation needs.

Ha ha!  They should get rid of all those government stop light, stop signs, etc.   People do much better in chaos.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Ha ha!  They should get rid of all those government stop light, stop signs, etc.   People do much better in chaos.

Not just speed limits, stop lights and signs but...

No auto insurance

No lawyers for whiplash and such

No DWI issues

No amphetamine fueled, sleep deprived truck drivers swinging out in front of you passing at .5 mph well under the speed you'd like to make

Untold billions saved by the above, as well as ER, hospitalization, and funeral expenses.

There's more, but if some still want to risk themselves, their families, and others it certainly isn't for any rational reason.  No offense intended, but think about it.  There will be plenty of places one can relive their youth...but not where they risk anyone but themselves.

Dave

32 minutes ago, Mallette said:

No auto insurance

No DWI issues

No amphetamine fueled, sleep deprived truck drivers swinging out in front of you passing at .5 mph well under the speed you'd like to make

No way.

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

No auto insurance

No DWI issues

Untold billions saved by the above, as well as ER, hospitalization, and funeral expenses.

There's more, but if some still want to risk themselves, their families, and others it certainly isn't for any rational reason.  No offense intended, but think about it.  There will be plenty of places one can relive their youth...but not where they risk anyone but themselves.

Dave

Those are some bombastic,  pie -in-the-sky predictions for sure. And the insurance companies are good with this, Ha. 

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Those are some bombastic,  pie -in-the-sky predictions for sure.

Not from me.  Again, do the research.  Actually, basic logic will tell you it's factual given you cannot be held responsible for that which you do not control.  There may still be laws against open containers for a while, but if you are not driving you can't be held for DWI.  Certainly you cannot be held responsible for injuring another person when neither of you is in control.  Really hard to see anything even surprising there, much less bombastic.  Anyway, I've said if I am around (and I plan to be) we'll check this out from time to time to see how it's going.  

As to what the insurance companies are good with, do you work for one or why do you care?  I'm certainly looking forward to not having to purchase liability...since I can't be held liable for the actions of a GM or Tesla computer.  

Dave