Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

What about snow and ice covered roads?

The cars will travel as fast as design limits, and I'd MUCH prefer a computer handling snow and ice than any human.  At least computers don't have an overinflated sense of their skills.  While I've been too conservative so far, I suspect it's in the 10 year range or so before the cars don't say "I am NOT an idiot and won't drive on this...your turn, smart ***." 

Dave

Solar flares?  Will that mass solar ejection that hammers our electrical grid also alter or even destroy this technology?  And.......... once most folks use this technology won"t others who remain self controlled benefit from better safety on the roads?  Could we realize a bit of a herd immunity for traffic accidents?  One thing that does bother me is that as humanity advances it loses familiarity with those basic survival skill sets.  How many people cold actually start a fire from scratch these days?  We have this idillic hubris that we will not require foundational knowledge but events do occur that sets our advancements backwards.  An asteroid, a super volcano or some cosmic chaos could put us back on survival mode.  Zombies too.... what about zombies?  :wacko:

Solar flares? Will that mass solar ejection that hammers our electrical grid also alter or even destroy this technology?

Solar flares significant enough to take out computers will create havoc far worse than suddenly having all the cars stop, which is their fail-safe mode.  As mentioned earlier, a flare on the order of the 1859 even would pretty much destroy the world economy. 

And.......... once most folks use this technology won"t others who remain self controlled benefit from better safety on the roads?

Absolutely.  But the accidents they continue to have and cause will create movements of "Stop the carnage NOW!" to gradually ban manual control except in special areas. 

How many people cold actually start a fire from scratch these days?

How many people can change a set of points on the side of the road now?  And, WTF are POINTS???  We've already lost the ability to do basic maintenance on cars. 

We have this idillic hubris that we will not require foundational knowledge but events do occur that sets our advancements backwards.

In violent agreement with you.  But, that's the way it is...  That 1859 event took out the telegraph system...and the majority of people probably either never knew about it or didn't know for days.  Today?  Airliners would drop out of the sky and everything would come to a stop.  It's too late already, bud. 

Dave

Probably not a lot of time for that in event of an emergency, JJ.  Seems to me the vast majority of failures will not be fatal to the vehicle.  If it sense failure or impending failure it will tell you that you have "X" seconds to take control and if you don't it will single the other cars of a declared emergency and come to a stop safely off the road.  Total computer failure will cause emergency braking.  The other vehicles will simply avoid you...far better than humans do.  We have people killed all the time who pulled over for a flat or whatever. 

While it will be rather cold comfort given what you'll find when you get out of the care, in the event of an EMP taking out all the vehicles they'd all fail to locked braked.  Probably a few bent fenders, perhaps something a bit more...but will sure beat being in an aircraft.

Dave

The cars will travel as fast as design limits, and I'd MUCH prefer a computer handling snow and ice than any human.

Spoken like a man who's never watched a world rally race.

Unfortunately, none of the drivers on the roads I travel possess those skills.

Up until the point that someone hacks the system, then, you'll really be in for ride.

Computers and programming are my profession.  All of our main systems are designed to fail to safe, on the rigs and in the buildings.  Each system knows its parameters, and if one is violated it is assumed the entire system is compromised.  I am not a AC designer, but if I were the main systems would be read only, and upgradeable only by a physical change.  It only makes sense.  If you really think it isn't possible to hack proof vital systems you must never sleep worrying about our ICBMs, nuclear fleet, and Air Force.  My belief is that have that under control.

Dave

1. Insurance is not arbitrary.  It's set by actuarial tables.  Who pays more?  The person with 20 times less accidents or you?

20X less!!, Man, you've got my driving record all figured out don't you.  Why not make it 100X less, and throw-in a fictitious Insurance premium while you're at it.

2. Most experts say it won't be possible to hold the occupant liable for accidents related to the vehicles autonomous features. Certainly makes sense to me.

Right,.... right.... and Lawyers are beating computer calculated breathalyzer results in court everyday.....  I'm Believer Too.

"AT&T Mobile Business Solutions president and CEO Ralph de la Vega said AT&T had already found customers were willing to put off the purchase of a new vehicle in anticipation of connected features that would emerge in the near future.

I'm willing to wager a shinny new nickel that he'd find a whole lot of people willing to re-elect a certain president for a 3rd. term.... 

So what does all this mean Dave?

The autonomous vehicles differ from true driverless vehicles, such as the ones Google has been testing in California, as humans retain an element of control. Ghosn said they will limit accidents and make driving more pleasant

Pleasant for who, everybody on the road?.......   You actually buy that?

Ghosn went on to predict that by 2018, a second wave of innovation around autonomous cars would see autonomous highway driving begin to go mainstream, (Gil, that is 5 years ahead of my predictions from 2 years ago...I am really not very accurate)

Dave, there are many, many questions that revolve around autonomous vehicle occupants that haven't even been discussed yet, and even more about the guinea pigs that will have to share the road with the autonomous world of vehicles your in love with.

Based on the Solar powered car predictions, and Electric car predictions, and yes, Autonomous car predictions from 20 and 30 years ago.....  I think it's safe to say that Ghosn (regardless of what ever his real credentials are besides CEO of blah, blah, blah) is just a weeee bit off on his prediction. Obviously he's as gitty about the autonomous vehicle world as you, except his rea$on$ are some what

He said city driving would go mainstream by 2020 and conceded it was much more complicated because the technology to make sure autonomous vehicles are able to take rational decisions in emergencies is not yet ready."

So, looks like everything is SEVERAL years ahead of our last discussion about 2 years ago.

Looks to me like you WILL be upgraded, like it or not no matter how hard you beat that horse.

Dave

I wouldn't bet against me on that Dave.

Not even in 10 yrs...... FWIW, and I'm not the one beating the horse.... or is that a drum you're carrying?

Edited by Gilbert

Cruise control and defeatable stability control is as autonomous as I want to get. The notion that there will be no more fatal auto accidents if this is implemented is a pipe dream. Computers in control? LOL. That sort of thing can work in controlled situations, such as on railroads, but on a highway? No way.

What about motorcycles? I suppose they would have to be banned, since the rider balances the machine and the rider's weight and balance is what actually steers the machine.

One thing for sure, I won't live long enough to see any of this happen and that's fine with me. Meanwhile, if you don't like the way I drive, get off the sidewalk! :D

The cars will travel as fast as design limits, and I'd MUCH prefer a computer handling snow and ice than any human.

Spoken like a man who's never watched a world rally race.

Unfortunately, none of the drivers on the roads I travel possess those skills.

Neither will the computer steering Dave's autonomous car, so, what's the difference.

Computers and programming are my profession. All of our main systems are designed to fail to safe, on the rigs and in the buildings. Each system knows its parameters, and if one is violated it is assumed the entire system is compromised.

And that's about the time the driver will have to retake control of the car, after the system leaves him/her stranded in the middle of the snow and ice covered road, with no blankets in the back seat. With a little luck, the passenger, now driver, won't have been left stranded while in motion, sitting in the back seat and enjoying a good stiff drink because he put his trust in HAL.

Edited by Gilbert

Dave, I'm sure you'll come back with another wild assertion and expert's opinion to champion a world with autonomous cars in every garage. The good lord knows there are more scenarios we could throw back and forth at each other until the Klipsch Server explodes and Chad kick us both off for increasing his work load. It is for this reason I came to realize over 20 years ago that autonomous cars sharing public roads and public driven lanes is not going to happen in my lifetime.

I'll bugger off, and leave this thread for you to enjoy and have fun with.

Edited by Gilbert

Guys, live in fantasy land all you want.  You cannot change the profit incentive, nor stop technology.  Feel smarter than the guys running Detroit, Google, European makers, Japanese makers, scientists, economists etc.  Their alignment with this...AND the speed which they see it happening has DOUBLED in the past two years. 

I remain amazed at the resistance to progress, safety, and a much improved economy.  I am one of those who will wait to purchase a vehicle for my son that will stop whether he does or not in danger.  I love my family too much to do any less.  You outfit yours with a 1965 Mustang if that is your preference.

And, Gil, I presume since you have a perfect record the insurance companies are paying YOU?  Didn't think so... :P

Honestly, I don't have a horse in this race (as it were), and no emotions.  Simply looking around at what is happening.

Dave

Guys, live in fantasy land all you want.  You cannot change the profit incentive, nor stop technology. 

Says the guy who whines about Microsoft and the technology behind windows; now you want such programming responsible to make sure your travels are safe because developing driving skills is onerous.

I can change the profit incentive pretty fast; one class-action product liability lawsuit and that profit incentive for the manufacturers is history - particularly given there is NO profit incentive for insurance companies.  If the tech works as you claim, there is no basis to maintain insurance.

You outfit yours with a 1965 Mustang if that is your preference.

My son's 1968 Mustang is in the garage.  I bet money he is driving that in 8 years when he begins to drive and there won't be an autonomous vehicle on his bucket list.  Nor will he or I be inclined to change our passion for motorcycles, ATVs, or anything else that some safety-nitwit deems to be undesirable.