Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

Back on topic, I have decided we should pay for all costs of the automation through tax money.  It would save hundreds of billions in infrastructure spending now in progress and planned as well as 40k lives, 4.5 million in injuries, and billions in property damage, insurance, and litigation.  No brainer.  No matter how much you believe you'd prefer the pry your steering wheel from you cold, dead hands I find it hard to believe you're willing the risk that for your loved ones and others.  Think about it.

Dave

On 2/16/2018 at 8:17 AM, Mallette said:

As to aircraft, as I mentioned, Capt. Haynie was probably one of a few pilots in history to be able to handle Sioux City, and Sullie the same on the Hudson.  Programming their reactions into a flight system would certainly improve the odds over the average pilot when these circumstances arise again.

So on one hand you're arguing a computer doesn't perform better than humans (and you sensationalize those humans). Then on the other hand, you're arguing that automation works better than humans (and you sensationalize those machines).

I don't see how you can have it both ways - and ironically you sensationalize the machine that currently has way less automation?

Do you not see the contradiction here?

And more importantly....if you're going to openly admit to being an unequipped driver, then why aren't you taking lessons to improve your driving skill? You expect your pilots to be trained right? I find your moral arguments concerning safety in automation to be quite hypocritical if you're not going to make the effort to equip yourself as a driver first. Perhaps that lack of equipping is why you think automation is so simple? :P

On 2/16/2018 at 10:55 AM, dwilawyer said:

How would you even begin to program that into an autopilot.  Even if you could, it is location dependant.  They had not flaps or spoilers, and they had no way to flair. The only way to program and automate a system for the situation is to design something capable of duplicating "seat of the pants" flying.  

So why does the parallel scenario work on a car, but not a plane?

What is being dicussed here is called heuristics.  Even back in the 80s heuristic systems were discussed as part of the future, within business applications.  Mallette is correct when he asserts if it can happen, it will happen, or at least in the "weak" version it just might happen.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

How does a self driving car respond to rain and snow falling on its cameras and laser lenses?

If they were built by Western Electric they would have continuous cleaning systems on each sensor plus a backup if the sensor failed.

JJK

• 4 weeks later...

Motor week just reviewed a Cadilac with GM's new Supercruise. Although they liked to for the advanced nature of all cars cruise control it is still very limited and by no means can "drive"itself. Can't change lanes, or pass basically can navigate a highway equipped with the needed infrastructure already in place. And it is so far from actual autonomous that is uses a camera positioned directly at the drivers eyes/head so when the driver shifts his head down to text or take eyes off the road for a few moments the system warns then shuts down Supercruise. The reporter said it amounts to having ability to let someone's rest their arms from the wheel much like normal cruise does for your right leg. A $5K option unless included in the full tilt option package car retailing for $85K + -.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, richieb said:

A $5K option unless included in the full tilt option package car retailing for $85K + -.

Far more capable packages for that price. Surprised it can't even change lanes...

Dave

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Welp, it looks like 2019 will come and go before we're "there."

Depends on what you mean by "there." Still have quite a few years before 50% penetration. Already made my 10 year prediction. 

Dave

• 1 month later...

And Tesla's not a happy camper, right now:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-15/tesla-driver-death-investigated-as-musk-lashes-out-over-coverage

Musk is making the types of claims that Dave Mallette makes - i.e., that autonomy will never reach a 0 fatality goal, but it is much safer than the typical car out there.  I'm not so sure about that at this juncture.  Maybe he's right, though.  It's just that these wrecks make the headlines precisely because there are so few autonomous vehicles on the road.  It's still in experimentation.  Do we even have a high enough sample size to statistically obtain a wide confidence interval at very high percentages?

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, Mallette said:

Far more capable packages for that price. Surprised it can't even change lanes...

Dave

I'm surprised that Tesla sells a system that can't "see" a truck sitting across a roadway or a bicyclist approaching from the side, causing 2 people to die. So sad.

1 hour ago, Don Richard said:

I'm surprised that Tesla sells a system that can't "see" a truck sitting across a roadway or a bicyclist approaching from the side, causing 2 people to die. So sad.

Perhaps they need to go to polarized lens covers so they do not get blinded by sunshine anomalies.

JJK