Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Drones are controlled by a person on the ground with no skin in the game if it crashes.

Apples and oranges. A drone controlled by a person is not autonomy at any level. As much faith as I have, I certainly will be keeping my hands on or near the wheel and my eyes on the road at all times there are ANY vehicles or obstacles in sight for a long time at any autonomy level. The steering wheel will likely be around for the rest of my life, even with full autonomy. 

Dave

41 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Apples and oranges. A drone controlled by a person is not autonomy at any level. As much faith as I have, I certainly will be keeping my hands on or near the wheel and my eyes on the road at all times there are ANY vehicles or obstacles in sight for a long time at any autonomy level. The steering wheel will likely be around for the rest of my life, even with full autonomy. 

Dave

You will, but that is not your earlier point.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Your point was taking a nap or getting high while being merrily whisked to your destination by a fully autonomous vehicle.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Ahh...I think I will live to see that. But I will do so by keeping my eye on the road and my hands near the wheel until the data convinces me that the Robocar is really better than I am. Probably take less than a year of it before I'd turn loose, fire up a doobie, and crack a beer on the endless stretches of west Texas and the west, though. 

Dave

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Elon was replaced for being stupid, forced out by the Feds.

Hmmm...sounds like an honor to me. He remains CEO and the Board certainly understands that he is to Tesla what Henry Ford was to Ford. As to major production probelms, overbllown given the extraordinary challenge of building EVERYTHING from the ground up in a few years. The Ford's Rouge River plant had more issues but became a landmark in industry. 

"Bloomberg’s Tesla Model 3 Tracker shows that cumulative production of the Tesla Model 3 exceeds the major milestone of 200,000. That is since July 2017 when the 30 first were delivered.

The counter indicates 200,667 total Model 3 produced and an average production rate of 5,455 Model 3 per week.

The number consists of officially announced production results in previous quarters and estimated production rates in the current quarter.

Total production this quarter reportedly already hit 45,000, which, with more than one month to go, should make Q1 the best quarter so far, but of course, a lot depends on how accurate the estimates are.

Keep in mind that Bloomberg’s tracker is not intended to successfully track production over the short term. Adjustments are made on a regular basis so that it’s fairly accurate over time. Still, it’s interesting to keep an eye on it and get some idea of which way numbers are headed. You can take the trends and averages found in the tracker, along with other available online data, and come up with your own estimate."

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Mallette said:

Hmmm...sounds like an honor to me. He remains CEO and the Board certainly understands that he is to Tesla what Henry Ford was to Ford. As to major production probelms, overbllown given the extraordinary challenge of building EVERYTHING from the ground up in a few years. The Ford's Rouge River plant had more issues but became a landmark in industry. 

"Bloomberg’s Tesla Model 3 Tracker shows that cumulative production of the Tesla Model 3 exceeds the major milestone of 200,000. That is since July 2017 when the 30 first were delivered.

The counter indicates 200,667 total Model 3 produced and an average production rate of 5,455 Model 3 per week.

The number consists of officially announced production results in previous quarters and estimated production rates in the current quarter.

Total production this quarter reportedly already hit 45,000, which, with more than one month to go, should make Q1 the best quarter so far, but of course, a lot depends on how accurate the estimates are.

Keep in mind that Bloomberg’s tracker is not intended to successfully track production over the short term. Adjustments are made on a regular basis so that it’s fairly accurate over time. Still, it’s interesting to keep an eye on it and get some idea of which way numbers are headed. You can take the trends and averages found in the tracker, along with other available online data, and come up with your own estimate."

They went from near first to near last recently in Consumer Reports.  They are having some growing pains.

They just filed a contempt motion on him for another inaccurate tweet about 500K production number.

This is what I was referring to

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/25/tech/elon-musk-sec-settlement-contempt/index.html

Edit: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla-model-3-loses-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mallette said:

Never been a source I had much respect for. But that's just my opinion and experience. 

Dave

They were rated No. 1 in customer satisfaction.  I believe that they have one model still on list.  This particular article was on customer satisfaction surveys and owners and buyers are reporting problems with paint, trim and electronics I believe.  The articles goes on further to say that owners may not care because they are brand loyal, and point to Jeep Wrangled as being similar.  Tesla responded and said they were aware of problems and they were addressing them.

@oldtimer Elon had agreed that he wouldn't tweet about Tesla information that could affect  stock value unless it was approved by a special committee of Tesla.  He apparently didn't have tweet reviewed before he sent it, then he changed it, then he said it was merely information previously released to investors earlier in the month and he didn't need to get it approved.  It wouldn't be a fine for tweeting per se, it would be fine for violating a Court order he agreed to.  He can tweet about anything he wants, except what he agreed not to tweet about and made an order of the court.

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

They were rated No. 1 in customer satisfaction.  I believe that they have one model still on list.  This particular article was on customer satisfaction surveys and owners and buyers are reporting problems with paint, trim and electronics I believe.  The articles goes on further to say that owners may not care because they are brand loyal, and point to Jeep Wrangled as being similar.  Tesla responded and said they were aware of problems and they were addressing them.

@oldtimer Elon had agreed that he wouldn't tweet about Tesla information that could affect  stock value unless it was approved by a special committee of Tesla.  He apparently didn't have tweet reviewed before he sent it, then he changed it, then he said it was merely information previously released to investors earlier in the month and he didn't need to get it approved.  It wouldn't be a fine for tweeting per se, it would be fine for violating a Court order he agreed to.  He can tweet about anything he wants, except what he agreed not to tweet about and made an order of the court.

"Thou shalt not say anything which might affect stock values..."

That's a pretty tough one.  I understand there's a whole set of rules and the rationale for them, but it has to be mind-boggling when you get to the center of it at some level.