So DACS, are they worth it?

Shodrewken

I've read numerous times how a lot of you guys have them and say they are a big deal. I'm thinking about getting one for a couple reasons now. Number one is because of my newly acquired La Scalas. These are hands down my favorite speaker for music and have enhanced my listening enjoyment by a good measure, however, before I get crazy upgrading the xovers and what not for the speaker, I'm curious if adding a DAC can even further my audio experience. Two, the majority of my music is mostly steaming from my phone through AirPlay. I know its not the best format, but its just the most convenient for me atm. So what do you say fellas, would adding a DAC to the mix provide a decent enough quality boost to my music? If so what would a good beginning DAC be? I not interested in spending anything over a grand... yet, so any recommendations under that price point would be appreciated!

I've read numerous times how a lot of you guys have them and say they are a big deal. I'm thinking about getting one for a couple reasons now. Number one is because of my newly acquired La Scalas. These are hands down my favorite speaker for music and have enhanced my listening enjoyment by a good measure, however, before I get crazy upgrading the xovers and what not for the speaker, I'm curious if adding a DAC can even further my audio experience. Two, the majority of my music is mostly steaming from my phone through AirPlay. I know its not the best format, but its just the most convenient for me atm. So what do you say fellas, would adding a DAC to the mix provide a decent enough quality boost to my music? If so what would a good beginning DAC be? I not interested in spending anything over a grand... yet, so any recommendations under that price point would be appreciated!

Yes they are worth it providing the DAC's in your preamp, receiver, player, etc. are inferior to one you may acquire.

I happen to think the DAC's in your TX-8050 are pretty good, not top of the line, but implemented well.

I would suggest you look into something like an Audioquest Dragonfly, a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic, or something else under $500.00 to wet your whistle in the DAC world.  There are many sub $500.00 DAC's that are of high quality that just may transform your experience.

For that matter, since you are using the LaScalas in an also video setup, maybe an Oppo 105 is in order to give you many options of use but it will be just north of a grand.  The Oppo's ESS Sabre DAC 9018 is at the top of the pile.

Bill

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, my recently acquired Pono player ($299 through Kickstarter) has a highly regarded ESS 9018 DAC chip.  That DAC enables me to play high resolution files through my 2-channel system.  The sound is significantly better than vinyl, CDs or mp3s.  I've never listened to more expensive DACs, but it's hard to imagine they could make a significant improvement.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

My  MHDT Havana NOS Tube DAC was a very nice improvement to my music listening, I'd highly recommend this DAC.

Very crystal clear clarity and such warm sounding music, it seems like my digital music now has a wonderful analog sound which is so much more musical. I absolutely love the sound of this DAC on my system.

havana2.jpg

• Like 2

I will give the Havana a second vote and it can be had under 1 grand new (builder sells through ebay) the ESS 9018 is a nice chip for detail and resolution but depending on implementation it can be strident. 

My advice is to determine how you like your music to sound, are you a fan of resolution and high detail very neutral sound, or do you prefer analogish sound quality

My Havana is also here to stay, It does an analog signature very well and is sublime with acoustic, jazz, classic rock, etc...

another very good dac is the Schiit Uber Bifrost at 530.00, and the Centrance DacMini at around 800.00

My  MHDT Havana NOS Tube DAC was a very nice improvement to my music listening, I'd highly recommend this DAC.

Very crystal clear clarity and such warm sounding music, it seems like my digital music now has a wonderful analog sound which is so much more musical. I absolutely love the sound of this DAC on my system.

havana2.jpg

Which tube are you running rich ??