McIntosh 240 Amp for Sale--SOLD

Simitavi

Hi....I'm very new to this forum.  I was advised to join from a friend of my cousin, who recently died.  I am helping the executer of the estate (who is my brother-in-law) find homes for electrical equipment.  My cousin, Paul, was quite a collector.  He would pick up equipment everywhere, and fix it for an annual garage sale at his church.  I have found quite a few finds--including this amp.

Here is what I can tell you about it:

It had one broken amplifier tube out of the 4--therefore, I have not tried to turn it on.

It had a piece of electrical tape holding the fuse into the fuse holder--top was missing---I had one that fits and replaced the tape.

I took some pics.....see below.  If you would like others, I can provide.

I have been selling several pieces of equipment on Ebay..mostly heathkit test equipment, old apple/TRS computers, etc.  My username there is Simonie28.

I have many other pieces, including two nice Scott amps...I'll post asap.

I know this McIntosh is quite an item for collectors.  I'm asking $2000.00 or b/o.  Shipping costs carried by the buyer, or you can pick up at my home in NJ.

I'm hoping I did not break any of your rules posting this item.  Please feel free to advise.

Thanks,

Bill

an addendum:  I was asked to show some pics of the unit's belly...here are a few, and I'll add more to another post

post-60961-0-69620000-1426348448_thumb.j

post-60961-0-97660000-1426348458_thumb.j

post-60961-0-45660000-1426348471_thumb.j

post-60961-0-18940000-1426348482_thumb.j

post-60961-0-04860000-1426348492_thumb.j

post-60961-0-84540000-1426348501_thumb.j

post-60961-0-28500000-1426348510_thumb.j

post-60961-0-39300000-1426365817_thumb.j

post-60961-0-84660000-1426365826_thumb.j

Edited by Simitavi

The value will vary greatly whether it is a known working unit or for parts.

A dealer selling a (guaranteed) working unit will get about $3K, more or less depending on how clean it is, Wholesale is $2 - 2.5K, working.

Non-working units, again, will vary greatly depending on what's wrong, tubes are an easy fix, bad caps are work for a reputable shop, bad transformers are a show stopper.

Have it tested, find out what you have, and go from there. 

Steven.

IMHO I'd say $1500 would be a reasonable price in that condition.

Can you tell by the pictures how much it would cost to bring it back to full specs or would you need to test it on your bench first -

Randy,

To be honest, I throw amplifiers on the bench to see if, in general terms, if the unit works.  I'll hook up speakers, tape decks, antennas, to make sure the unit works as expected.

I do not have the experience to judge the cost on bringing the unit up to full specs.

As an FYI, for other that amps, such as signal generators, I will certainly throw my scope on it and check for proper signal freqs and amplitudes for that sort of equipment...hope this helps..

Bill

Bill,

Honestly with 50 year old tube gear firing them up at full wall voltage after sitting unused for years is asking for trouble.... It really proves nothing beyond the tubes light up and it plays music, in the end what happened with the 340 will happen with all of them sooner or later. 50+ years is way beyond the service life of many of the passive components in these amps. Heck the same can be said for 1970 to 1980's solid state gear to a lesser degree.

Check the fuse if its still intact and looks like an original the amplifier is about 99.9% sure to be restorable. McIntosh amps are almost impossible to kill....

Craig

IMHO I'd say $1500 would be a reasonable price in that condition.

Can you tell by the pictures how much it would cost to bring it back to full specs or would you need to test it on your bench first -

I really do not even need pictures... but honestly I'd rather not conduct business on the open forum please email me if you have questions pertaining to costs.

Just FYI.  I picked up one of these recently.  The owner plugged it in, said it started smoking and he unplugged it.

I opened it up and one or two of the big capacitors were obviously toast.  I took it in and it is getting repaired now, if anyone wants you can PM me for the repair cost on mine for an estimate.

From what I have heard, Asian collectors like the bumblebee capacitors, so an untouched internally MC-240 might be worth more to them.

I think the asking price is in the right ballpark and was listed or BO.  Anytime I think the price might be too high, it normally sells quickly and for the asking price, so it doesn't hurt to ask the price you want and see how it goes.

Good luck with your sale.