A Good Bicycle?

Tarheel

Lady friend wants me to bike ride with her and my 1972 10 speed may not be up to the task.  We will ride a few times a week, leisurely, and not over ten miles at a stretch.  I just stopped by a bike shop and they have them from $150 to $5500.  I saw a gray Giant brand cycle with aluminum frame and straight black handlebars that caught my eye ($379).  Too wet to ride today but I'll be going back on Monday.

Any thoughts on the Giant brand?  Not really interested in speed but comfort and light weight sounds good.

Lady friend wants me to bike ride with her and my 1972 10 speed may not be up to the task.  We will ride a few times a week, leisurely, and not over ten miles at a stretch.  I just stopped by a bike shop and they have them from $150 to $5500.  I saw a gray Giant brand cycle with aluminum frame and straight black handlebars that caught my eye ($379).  Too wet to ride today but I'll be going back on Monday.

Any thoughts on the Giant brand?  Not really interested in speed but comfort and light weight sounds good.

They are good quality brand - GIANT -

• Like 1

I'm with TS on what fits you. I have not been a bike rider in general. But in the past friends have put me on one of theirs. Often the fit is not right.

A good shop can take a look at your frame and the bike frame, and more. You probably don't want full road racing bike, where you'd be bent over and spending most time looking at the front tire, and probably don't want a full mountain bike.

I believe it is like shoes. The brand does not count quite as much as what fits you and what fits the application.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

That's a good starting budget for a decent bike. Tell the staff at the shop what you will use it for and they will advise, especially regarding fit. As long as the tires are not knobbies they'll be fine on the road, regardless of width.

• Like 1

I saw one of those sand riders at the shop Mike.....huge tires. I wonder if you can ride those on pavement?
  Yes, that's all I ride now. Two speed enclosed rear gears. One hint I learned the first time I rode it on the beach; ride into the wind first and come back with the wind at your back. The other way sux.
  • Like 1

Your '72 10 speed might be worth spending a few hundred dollars to get it "up to the task."  My 74 Legano (Campagnolo, Reynolds 531, 23 lbs., etc.) is as good today as it was when I purchased it new 41 years ago. 

That said, were I buying a bike today, something like the $379 Giant would make more sense.  The most important thing is that it fit you.  MOST people ride around with the seats too low on a bike that doesn't fit them, or they don't fit the bike.

I'm 6'1" and also 66.  When I ride my bike, I use only a few of the 10 speeds and rarely bend over to hold the handle bars at the lowest point. 

Please wear a helmet and watch out for cars, they aren't watching out for you.

post-6832-0-59260000-1426361256_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Your '72 10 speed might be worth spending a few hundred dollars to get it "up to the task."  My 74 Legano (Campagnolo, Reynolds 531, 23 lbs., etc.) is as good today as it was when I purchased it new 41 years ago. 

Finally, someone who agrees with me!  I'm a guy, which by definition automatically means, I like stuff, and I like to buy, stuff. No doubt, getting a new bike would be fun.   :)

That being said, if you have a decent 10-speed like is shown in the pic ^^^ which means skinny street tires, no suspension, road race bars, then I would seriously continue to use that.

Install new tubes and tires due to rubber rot over the years, put some grease in the ball bearings in the wheels and fork race, tighten spokes, add a new chain, brake pads, have someone lube and adjust the derailer, maybe get a new gel seat, and I think you're good to go.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Similar case here, only problem is that my frame has deteriorated over the decades. But I love just looking at the thing, she's a beauty (Ritchey Road Logic low serial # hand made by Tom himself, gaudy but patriotic red-white-blue fade, set up long, low, and racy).

Lightweight, hardtail 29-er with more comfy geometry and 'good enough' components should be right in the OP's budget and perfect for his needs.

• Like 1

For a hardtail, fit, setup, and components is more important than the brand of the frame.  Best rider I ever rode with used a Toys R Us bike frame, we're talking about a guy who would jump off of 10' cliffs in the middle of the woods onto a sketchy rocky landing.  Nowadays the welds coming out of Taiwan is so good it just don't matter much.  Really the only important difference is the design and longevity of nicer full suspension bikes.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1