Upgrading my "coffee table" home theater to surround sound

Czilla9000

My first post here in over 10 years - Posted this on a different AV site but am hoping to get some answers here. 

About a year ago I set up my coffee table home theater - It consists of an Xbox One on an end table, and a BenQ 1085st (originally a Optoma GT760 prior to upgrading) and  Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX-Certified Computer speakers on the actual coffee table. The projector fires a 100+'' picture that is only about 130'' inches from the viewer. 

See attached photos - The Klipsch Promedia satellites and the projector are on the coffee table. The Klipsch's "subwoofer" is hidden underneath the coffee table

What I love about this system is that it required no tool knowledge to do (no drilling, etc) which is good because I'm not a handy-man. It would also be easy to move if I changed apartments. It is also extremely cost effective. And space efficient since the coffee table negates the need for a TV stand, etc. Cable management is also surprisingly good. 

While I'm real happy with the system currently, upgraditis has struck. I'd like to improve the audio to surround sound.

The obvious choice is the Logitech Z906 system, but I thought I would take other suggestions. I could put the surrounds on stands near the couch. The difficulty is placing the center speaker - the projector won't fire above it. I guess I could put a small center speaker physically on top of the projector.

My key questions are these:

1. If I were to use separates (i.e, a receiver, etc) would there be any problem with putting the front satellites and center channel on the coffee table in nearfield? Would, say, Audessey or MCACC calibrate for that?

2. Ideally, if I went the separates approach, I would like the subwoofer to not have to be under the coffeetable anymore - i.e, not be localizable. But it seems like few satellite speakers are rated to 80 Hz or lower.

But since i'd be using them in nearfield, could a typical satellite speaker do 80 Hz after all?

3. Or should I just go with a Logitech z906 system since it's built for nearfield?

post-13592-0-13660000-1426404982_thumb.j

post-13592-0-65940000-1426405016_thumb.j

Edited by Czilla9000
  • Like 2

hard to say. they are all tiny satellite speakers. each one will sound a bit different. but only your ears can tell you what you like. i personally think all of them are a bit on the thin side. perhaps you could look into a reference setup. maybe snag a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-Series-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B0040L3DAO

then snag one of these for center:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-Series-Channel-Loudspeaker/dp/B0040QMTK4

then a couple of these for surrounds:

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RS-41-Reference-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0041HNV5E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426512242&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+rs-41ii

the surrounds are purchased as a single so if you go that route add 2.

i mention all this because you said you had upgradeitis. to me changing from stereo to surround but still tiny satellite speakers is gonna be just a lateral move. the reference rb-41ii home theater i suggested will have a much more detailed and full bodied sound to it than the quintet or take classic. if you decide to go that route, i can recommend a good small subwoofer and receiver to mate with it. 

• Like 1