More La Scala project - Two tone LS's?

jimjimbo

Well, got around to stripping most of the black paint off the top of the 2nd beat up La Scala (see other project thread).  

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/156081-starting-the-beater-la-scala-project-tomorrow/

(First three photos are of the other LS, without the black paint)

What I found was fairly disheartening.....You can see the photos.  The sides are very nice, and would look great with a Watco Natural oil on them, but the top and front....it seems that the black paint really got deep into the wood, and I don't think any amount of stripping or sanding is going to fix it without trashing the veneer (even more than it already is....)  I'm afraid that despite a valiant effort to preserve the natural veneer look, they are going to go the way of the paint sprayer... 

However, I did have a thought.  Would a "two tone" look be too bizarre?  I mean, preserve the sides in their natural color, then paint the tops and fronts black, or something else?  Yes, yes, I know it's all in what do I want, and blah, blah, but, I don't know...just looking for thoughts, suggestions?  BTW, putting on new veneer is more expense than I want to incur with these, so that's a no go....Anyway, fire em at me....

post-12530-0-87260000-1426535094_thumb.j

post-12530-0-71100000-1426535117_thumb.j

post-12530-0-54860000-1426535160_thumb.j

post-12530-0-26700000-1426535180_thumb.j

post-12530-0-31140000-1426535201_thumb.j

post-12530-0-51500000-1426535220_thumb.j

post-12530-0-99940000-1426535239_thumb.j

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

Honestly,  The top veneer and especially the corners look badly damaged.  I don't know how you could restore those and stain.  The wood on the corners is just not there anymore.

Those look like they are ready for bondo and spraypaint............or a careful separation of the doghouse and rebuild of the top sections.

no reason you cannot re veneer them in anything you like. Best regards Moray James.

PS: if as has been mentioned you are on a budget then bondo smooth paint and you will keep open an easy option to veneer over the paint later. If you use a textured surface now veneer will be more difficult.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

It sounds like you are trying to do this on a budget and schedule. This might work for you and you might like the look. Do a google search on "tolex". They have a wide variety and it is frequently on sale at Parts Express. It would still require good edges, although then can have a routered round over. eBay probably has some more affordable versions. Have a look at some of the you tube demos.  Just a thought.....

Edited by PrestonTom

Some tops were removable with screws... easy replacement.  Doesn't like yours has screws though.   My suggestion and what I would want to do is veneer the top and sides but paint the inside of the bins black.  This is a very nice look IMHO!

If they're going to end up in a garage, I'd bondo the imperfections, run a 1/4" roundover on all the edges, duratex the outsides and spray all 3 horns white similar to what I did on this sub.

IMG_0057.JPG

That is way cooool

And a great suggestion with a photo to get a handle to back up your message

You could use 1/4" birch or oak veneered plywood from lowes and secure it to the existing top and side panels for a good look stained. That's what I used when I built my entertainment center (in avatar); 1/4" oak over 1/2" mdf put together with contact cement. Trust me...it's not coming off. That or build everything back up as mentioned and have someone in auto painting put a gloss black finish on them. Just my $.02.

Edited by avguytx

Great work, Carl! Really, some Bondo to make everything square, three pieces of veneer, put some matching trim around the front and they could look awesome.

The tops are put on with ring nails, and won't come off easily.

Bruce

Where to purchase and how to apply Duratex?  I don't have a "shop" at my house, not much space.  Is this something an automotive body shop could do?  I can do the Bondo, get them ready.....Just wondering.

That stuff just rolls on like your painting a house. It's super easy to do.

Where to purchase and how to apply Duratex?

It comes with a supplied small roller.  To me, it leaves a finish that's a little rough.  I normally go over it with a regular roller while it's still wet to knock it down a bit.  Craig is right, if you can paint with a roller, you can apply Duratex.  It has a bluish hue when it's wet but dries black.

The above sub was rolled with latex.  I just posted the picture to show the black and white contrast.