M1A rifle

snailtrax

I've only shot one once. The action on it seemed clunky when loading, but when I shot it all that went away, just gave you a nice little thump on the shoulder.

As for AR-10's, I've heard that you have to kind of know what you're doing to be able to hit anything. With an AR-15 you can be kind of sloppy and it doesn't matter, but I've heard if your stance, grip, etc. isn't perfect on an AR-10 then you'll be jacking rounds to the side real bad. I don't know if that is the case or not. I wanted one of those DPMS LRT-SASS's or a REPR.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Assault rifles (automatics even)  aren't really the place to talk high accuracy. For that get a bolt action like a Browning A bolt or Ruger model 77, etc.

I wasn't talking about real accuracy, I'm talking about jacking your shots over like 4-5" at 100 yards even when the rifle is zeroed properly. I can't confirm if this is true.

• Like 1

I'm talking about jacking your shots over like 4-5" at 100 yards even when the rifle is zeroed properly.

Offhand shooting this would be accurate with an AR-10, AR-15, 10-22, any automatic rifle really.

NOTE: If you can shoot 5 consecutive shots in a paper plate at 100 yards offhand you are a marksman as far as I'm concerned!

Bench shooting or gun vise is another matter.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

NOTE: If you can shoot 5 consecutive shots in a paper plate at 100 yards offhand you are a marksman as far as I'm concerned!

If you let me take my time and I'm not out of breath plus have a decent scope and a visible target I could "probably" do it, especially if I can use a sling, assuming you're talking about the 10" ones. There are plenty of guys who can pull off a 4" group off-hand, with iron sights. No way could I do that. Give me a barricade or a tree I can lean against, sure, but not off-hand. There's a guy on youtube hitting steel plates with every shot at 200 yards with an AK-47 with iron sights. That's tons harder.

The last 3-gun meet I was in a few weeks ago though we had an earth toned 5" popper hidden in the weeds from at least that far away, from a slightly elevated position, and it was raining so my scope fogged up, and it was right after marching up a muddy hill pulling a weighted sled while mowing down targets with your pistol on the way up. I thought I could save some time by just shooting off-hand once I got to the top. Yeah I had some trouble with it, didn't work out so well. There was a full sized plate that was a little closer, that was no problem, but I missed the other several times, had to take a knee and still couldn't hit it, ended up having to go prone, still missed it the first time.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I'm talking about jacking your shots over like 4-5" at 100 yards even when the rifle is zeroed properly.

Offhand shooting this would be accurate with an AR-10, AR-15, 10-22, any automatic rifle really.

Bench shooting or gun vise is another matter.

I've off hand shot a 3 inch group with open sights, my smooth bore 11-87 12 gauge slug at 100 yards and 2 3/4 Breneke slugs , you aint askin for much from your riffle!

I can hit the 200 yard Ram every time with open sights on my back with an XP-100 in 7mm BR, but the three inch are just a fuzzy black speck at 200 yards to my old eyes these days, better to use good optics!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

• 3 months later...