12v Trigger Question

Youthman

• Moderators

The 12v trigger on the back of the Sherbourn amp has a special plug (not a standard 3.5mm jack).  With my previous HK receiver, it did not have 12v Trigger so I attached the Sherbourn "Plug" to a wall wart and plugged the wall wart into the back of the HK so that when the HK came on, it sent a signal to the Sherbourn to turn on.

I have since replaced the HK with an Onkyo TX-NR5008 and it does have 12v Triggers but it says they are for Zone 2 and Zone 3 and it does not have an outlet on the receiver so I can't use the wall wart with it.

Does this mean the 12v cannot trigger from the Main Zone Amps?  If so...that's pretty messed up considering this was a $2600 receiver new.  I'm headed to check out the menu in the Onkyo to see if there is a setting I need to turn on.

• Moderators

I found a solution in the Emo forums....pretty lengthy process but it may work.

Don't know what remote you are using but there is a macro for the Harmony's that can turn on the Zone 2 or 3 trigger output when the Onkyo is turned on, I used it when i had a TX-NR5008. It's in the AVSForum thread for the 5008, here's the procedure from kbarnes701:

Zone 2 trigger to activate a power amp

What I did was:
1. Teach the Harmony one the command to turn on and off Zone 2.
a. In the Harmony control program, go to the devices tab, select the receiver and click the "learn IR" button.
b. Go down to the list and in the "Learn New Command" box enter the name you want for Zone2ON and click the "learn" button.
c. Follow the program instructions and on the original receiver remote, press the Zone button once (it turns red) and then press the ON button. The Harmony should have now acknowledged the key press and learned the command.
d. Back in the learn page, enter the name for Zone2OFF and click "learn".
e. Without pressing anything else, press the STANDBY button on the original remote. Another command learned.

2. Now teach the Harmony remote that the receiver needs further commands to turn on and off:
a. Go back to the devices screen in the Harmony control program and click on the "Settings" button for the receiver.
b. Select "adjust power settings" from the list and click next.
c. Go to the "Which command will Power On your device?" and select "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off."
d. Select Zone2ON as the second command needed.
e. Do the same for "Which command will Power Off your device?" now selecting Zone2OFF as second power off command.

3. Update your remote. Connect the trigger to your power amp, make necessary adjustments. And you're all set!
========================

On the Onkyo remote, you first have to hit the Zone2/3 button on the top of the remote to get into Zone2/3 mode - if the Zone button turns Red, then you're in Zone 2 mode. Hit the Zone button again and it turns Green, meaning you're in Zone 3. Keep in mind that the Zone button remembers what Zone it's been set to before (so pressing it once may turn it Green, for instance).

Now, once you set the particular zone using the above instructions, you can press ON, and if you're in Zone 2 (Red), Zone 2 will turn on. Same idea to turn Zone 2 Off- press STANDBY while Zone 2 is Red. That particular Zone's 12V trigger fires too.

I memorized these IR commands with my Harmony 1100. The key to all this is that the Zone button does not send an IR command, it only sets the following button presses to operate in that Zone. So to memorize (for instance) "Zone2On" IR command in the Harmony, you must first press the Zone button until it lights Red, then press ON. The Harmony will memorize that ON as being for Zone 2. Do the same thing for "Zone2Off" and Zone3 if you want.

geez....that Emo forum route is way too lengthy. It's just a setting somewhere in your AVR. Both of my amps come on simultaneously a few seconds after I turn on the Onkyo

Edit: Was reading thru your manual and it is a completely different trigger set up than mine is. There has to be an easier work around to get it going.

Edited by Tasdom

Youth you need to stop using receivers, processors work so much nicer when using separate amps and Onkyo has horrible trigger controls on their receivers but excellent ones on their processors.                                                                                                                                                                    

I don't know if you use a power console / surge protector, but, mines has some all on plugs.  This way when the monitor turns on the amps without a 12 V trigger will turn on.  It is a Rocketfish from BB.  It also helps with ground loop problems.

• Moderators

Rich, I've used receivers as a pre/pro for the past several years with great results. I do not feel that I "need" a dedicated pre/pro.

Frz, I have just never bought into the whole "line conditioner" concept. Guess there has never been a desire for one. It would be an expensive solution to auto powering on the amp.

I have a goofy idea if all else fails. When you are finished listening/viewing for the day/evening go over to the Sherbourn and turn it off before you turn off the receiver. Then when you want to enjoy your awesome system again turn on your receiver first then go over to the amp and turn it on.

Fred Flintstone

I will send you either a Niles IPC-6 or a LS-1 for the cost of shipping. The IPC-6 has current sensing which will control it's 12 volt triggers and the LS-1 senses the lights coming on in your AVR to control it's triggers. Manual's available from Mr Google.

Youth,

I honestly did not purchase it for it's equipment saving/line conditioning ability I needed a power strip with lots of plugs.  Everything else was just a bonus.  It has high current plugs for the amp and that is where my 2100 is connected.  It's ability to power up and turn things off in the correct sequence with a single button was my main buying point.  I did not pay full price.  In days of old Panamax would offer upgrades at a substantial discount.  They send you the new unit you send them the severed cord from your old unit, done deal.

It does provide real time voltage and amperage use which comes in handy.  It's fun to push the Sherbourn hard and watch the amperage use climb with the music. 

• Moderators

Baba, the problem isn't laziness, it's habit. I'm so accustomed to turning the receiver off, I almost left the room without turning off the Sherbourn because I cannot the lights on the front panel due to the center LaScala sitting directly in front of it.

Plus anything I can do to simplify operation for my children is a plus as well.

USNRET, that is very kind offer. I would be glad to pay shipping for the IPC-6 if it is not needed. From what I can see you can set it to delay powering each unit on. I just bought another surge protector a few nights ago because I'm running out of available outlets. PM me the shipping cost and I'll send PayPal or check (whichever you prefer).

FRZ, the Panamax looks like a cool unit. Just never considered using one for myself

Baba, the problem isn't laziness, it's habit. I'm so accustomed to turning the receiver off, I almost left the room without turning off the Sherbourn because I cannot the lights on the front panel due to the center LaScala sitting directly in front of it.

Plus anything I can do to simplify operation for my children is a plus as well.

USNRET, that is very kind offer. I would be glad to pay shipping for the IPC-6 if it is not needed. From what I can see you can set it to delay powering each unit on. I just bought another surge protector a few nights ago because I'm running out of available outlets. PM me the shipping cost and I'll send PayPal or check (whichever you prefer).

FRZ, the Panamax looks like a cool unit. Just never considered using one for myself

Sitting in closet unused since I had it controlling my long gone Mc amps. PM the address, I'll get it packed and shipped. Send you a bill later.

Edit: I was thinking of using the Light Sensor to trigger an alarm or an appropriate song when my 13 yo son tries to sneak a snack from the pantry late a light :ph34r:

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

I wonder if they could issue FW update?

That does blow. Lots of money on a nice receiver and you cant reassign the triggers? Wowza. I recall other Onkyo owners complaining about that as well. I wish they would get their stuff together. If indeed you cant reassign triggers, I would at least email CS and politely inform them because of that, no more future purchases until they pull their head out of their.... shoes. Maybe with enough complaints they will fix that.

• Moderators

PM sent with a address and a few items I have.

Like your idea about the alarm. Lol

MXR, I'm sure there is some marketing strategy (albeit a dumb strategy) behind Onkyos decision to not include a main amp trigger.

Rich, I've used receivers as a pre/pro for the past several years with great results. I do not feel that I "need" a dedicated pre/pro.

Frz, I have just never bought into the whole "line conditioner" concept. Guess there has never been a desire for one. It would be an expensive solution to auto powering on the amp.

Of course you don't need one, but processors do a nicer job when using separates. You just don't need the receivers amps in your system which are only increasing the noise floor in your system and processors usually have features and settings better designed for running separate amps.

For instance while Onkyo receivers triggers are designed for other zones and have no main trigger, Onkyo processors have 3 main triggers so you have much better control if you run multiple amps or other components you wish to trigger.

For instance on my system this benefits my two amps if I listen to two channel music only my two channel XPA-2 is triggered ON, my XPA-5 remains OFF. But if I am watching a movie or TV etc. both amps are triggered ON. After owning a few high end Onkyo receivers I really loved my move to an Onkyo processor both for improved sound quality and better control.

A good power conditioner can be a nice improvement, but some can also hurt the sound so you do need to choose wisely I did a lot of research and auditioning power conditioners  and I really like the PF-60 for both features and sound quality. While a power conditioner can add several different trigger benefits some even capable of acting as a wall wart with an additional separate 120v trigger powercord. But this would not help you in your case as you still need either a trigger or triggered outlet to control the power conditioner.

Edited by Rich_Guy