12v Trigger Question

Youthman

The Rocketfish power conditioner/surge protector can turn on/off the amps, subs and some of the other stuff.  It is a real convience and was around about 1/3 of a Panamax unit.  It is also nice to monitor a system.  That is how I new one of my Yamaha M 70 amps was not functioning correctly a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

I will send you either a Niles IPC-6 or a LS-1 for the cost of shipping. The IPC-6 has current sensing which will control it's 12 volt triggers and the LS-1 senses the lights coming on in your AVR to control it's triggers. Manual's available from Mr Google.

That looks like a handy piece of gear there. Very nice gesture. Hope it solves your trigger dilemma youth.

Unfortunately, most processors are way above what I'm willing to spend

You just need to apply your special Youthman bargain shopping ability.

My current processor cost me less than 1/3 what I paid for the receiver it replaced and now I don't think I could ever go back to a receiver again.

Onkyo pre pros are excellent and very hard to beat for performance and sound quality. I think they look very good too. I love mine even though it's a few years old now it's still like new and I haven't seen any reason to replace it yet, sound quality is outstanding.

12-12-08-onkyo-pr-sc886.jpg

onkyo1_21_07_08.jpg

I did not mean you need to run out and replace your receiver right away.

But you have been using separate amps with several different receivers now. I think there is a definite advantage of using a processor vs a receiver once you start using separate amplification.

Features and settings better designed for separate amps, removing (noise producing) un used amps from the case, better XLR connectors and just generally better sound quality.

When you aren't going to use them why waste money and internal case space on built in amps which only help introduce unwanted noise into your system.

I just meant next time you wish to change I'd recommend you look at processors instead of receivers and they have much better triggers with programable controls.

For now, I am sticking with the avr amp combo.  Good preamps are expensive and if you have a high quality avr/amp combo IMHO you are good! :)  I love the preamp in my Pioneer Elite avr.  I have heard systems with separates.

Edited by derrickdj1

That Onkyo 5008 is a beast in terms of amp power. With Audyssey XT32, it is hard to beat. With La Scala and 15" subs, you don't need much power nor will you hear any difference. I would sell the amp, since it is starting to give you problems.

I have a Denon 4311, Emotiva XPA5 and full 7 channels of RF7, RC7, RS7. After 3 years, I never hear any difference, with or without the amp. So finally, I have decided to sell the amp even though I love having it.

• Moderators

All good points bob.  I think what I need to do is to watch a movie with the amp and then watch it again without the amp to see if I can hear a difference.

I would sell the amp, since it is starting to give you problems.

Problems have been fixed.  ;)

I have decided to sell the amp even though I love having it.

I have similar thoughts.....but still unsure of my decision.

• Moderators

I've been running all night, dropping off girls at volleyball practice and picking another up at cheer.  Got home and watched Divergent with my girls and one of their friends.  I really liked it!  Will be hooking up the Niles tomorrow after I read through the 10 page owners manual tonight.  :D  

Michael,

As I have mentioned before, my buddy Jon runs a full RF-7 rig with only a TX-NR5007 with a single RSW15 in his 18 x 25 theater room and it lacks nothing in the sound department.  Action movie tracks sound as good as any setup I have ever heard.  Dynamics are as free wheeling as can be and the single RSW15 with a somewhat unique placement(tucked in a horn-like corner next to and below the seating riser) extends(audibly) noticeably below the subs spec'd -3dB+/-@19Hz.

If the Onkyo has an easy time with his RF-7's/RC-7, I am sure it will not even break a sweat with your LaScala trio.

Bill

• Moderators

LOVE IT! Works like a champ! I plugged the Onkyo into one of the two current sensing outlets. I then plugged one of the Sherbourns power cables into the 1st switched power outlet and the other sherbourn power cable into the 2nd switched power outlet.

Then I programmed it so that when the Niles "senses" the Onkyo turning on, it delays 2 seconds then turns on the 1st and 2nd switched outlet which turns on the Sherbourn.

Then when the Onkyo turns off, it waits 2 seconds and powers the Sherbourn off.

VERY cool device and very customizable too.