Belles in my future?

Hello from the mountains west of Denver!  

This my first post here but believe me I've been lurking for many many years and feel I know some of you well.  Some great knowledge and some real characters as well!

I recently decided to get back into 2 channel for the first time in 20 years.  Here's what I did:

Yaqin MC 13-s Integrated Tube Amp

Pair of RB-81s on stands

SVS SB-100 Sealed Sub

Original Yaqin power tubes but rolled in EH 12au7s and EH 12ax7s.

This system sounds impossibly good but then again I have a excellent room acoustically.  

Of course I said this is so good I will never change it, I know, I know!

I made the mistake of checking out Craigslist and discovered this:   http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4932296466.html

Looks like a decent pair of Belles 30 minutes away.  I would greatly appreciate some insight from the experts about what these are with regard to approximate age, condition and of course the asking price.  This listing has been active for at least a month and I am very tempted to enter into the Heritage realm.  The wife will have to love them, no choice. I don't want to call until I have as much information as I can be armed with.

I also run a 6.1 HT based on rf-82s rc-52 rs-52s SVS pc-2000 and a Definitive rear.

I feel like I'm in very good hands here!

Thank You!

first off welcome!

you came to the right place!

also....we love pictures!!!!!

I love Denver...only been there twice. once when I was 18 and I hitchhiked out there, and also about 6 or 8 months ago when I went to do some "research" on plant life!

Edited by angusruler
  • Like 1

I picked my Belles up from Colorado to, but it was a 14 hour drive for me.  Those are very pretty.

I think $2300 is on the high side, mine were less than that and have no chips on the veneer and are near perfect.  I hear the AB network is not so good in a Belle, but I don't have any actual knowledge to base that on.  I love my Belles.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the forums!

I have no first hand knowledge of Belles.  That said, I'm always looking around and pricing different speakers. Those seem a bit expensive to me, considering they look to have some damage.  As in all instances, they are worth whatever you are willing to pay for them. Some might pay more, others might not touch them for anything over $1800.  They sure are purty though.

You mention you've got a good space for acoustics.  Do you have corners available for Klipschorns? You can pick up a pair of them for <= to what those Belles are going for.

No doubt others with more experience on the Belle's will be along shortly to chime in with some insight.

Edited by Steven1963

There was a Belle auction (PA) 2 weeks ago on Ebay many of us followed.  Those sold for $1900.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Belle-Klipsch-Speakers-Great-Condition-Sound-Rocks-/281608025912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4191257738

I'm thinking another pair of Belles sold in TX for 2,000, (they sold for $1800).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Walnut-Belle-Grande-Speaker-Set-of-2-Massive-Size-Amazing-Sound-/321694017772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae67528ec

There is a pair currently on the Bay (Arkansas) starting at $1700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiipsch-Belle-Speakers-/171722724514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fb78d4a2

Edited by wvu80

Welcome!

I recently picked up a MINT pair of 1982 Belles for $2k. I love them. I've had KHorns and the Belles are preferable to me as didn't have the ideal listening room for he KHorns.

The ones you are looking at appear to be newer. I would echo what others have said:

The price seems a bit high for the condition,however, they are worth what you are willing to pay

If you have a great room with corners, you may want to consider KHorns 

Excellent responses from all, THANKS!

Yeah I thought the price was a bit high myself so if I decide to make an offer it will be less than he's asking for sure.  I feel I'm in a good position in that my current setup is like heaven on earth right now and I really don't expect earth shattering improvement with the Belles, mostly fuller more room filling sound.

Khorns of course would be amazing, but they would be too large and I only have one good corner.  Don't really want to build a corner unit or enclose the back of one.

There was mention of the AB crossover maybe not being preferable.  Can someone please elaborate on that, I know very little (nothing) about the nuances of the different crossover models.

The stickers in the pictures look modern, it will be interesting to see what year they were made.  I'm going to continue to study the replies and maybe give the guy a call tomorrow, and I will certainly audition them before any offer.  All of your input is priceless, Thank You again!

I don't know if those XO's need to be rebuilt or upgraded, maybe others could guide you on that.  If it turns out you may need to make an additional outlay for upgraded parts you might want to take that into consideration on any potential offer.

I know nothing about Belles or AB type XO's, but they are listed on the Crites site:

+++

"Here is a picture of our Type AB-2 crossover for the Belle Klipsch. We recommend that the type AB used in the Belle be replaced with our Type AB-2 or Type AA or Type A/4500."

ab2newest1_med.jpeg

REBUILD KIT FOR THE KLIPSCH TYPE AB-2 CROSSOVERS:  $112.00

TYPE AB-2 NEW CROSSOVER KIT:  $323.00

http://www.critesspeakers.com/prices-crossover_repair_kit.html

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I would seriously make arrangements to go see them in person and listen to them.  Me personally, I'd pull fifteen $100 bills out of my pocket, offer it, and see what happens.  Could be a counter offer, could be a laugh, who knows.  I've done it plenty of times and had it done to me.  Money talks, BS walks as we all know.  If he comes back with a counter of $1700 or $1800, then maybe have that amount ready to go in another pocket.  I'd call those a little high, personally.

That pair in Arkansas isn't too badly priced at the moment.  They are a tad over an hour from me.  Been contemplating a pair of Belle's for some time now.  But I'll probably build a pair if I ever get a major wild hair.

Need serial numbers to be sure of age. I think closer to 1800 would be my offer. Those tweeters are getting hard to find parts for so you could use that and the nicks as bargaining points. Even more so if one of the tweets is blown test and listen closely to make sure the drivers all work. If you do not need pretty LaScalas will sound a bit better in my opinion since it has the larger mid horn. I have done side by side listening to them before I bought my Scalas new. Not sure when Klipsch changed the tweeters over but my 1980 Scalas had the square mag and those are the round magnets. Rick

Welcome and good luck. I am also a Belle guy; had as many as 7 in the HT at one time, now just 3. I have been through many xovers from stock through the high dollar ones. I have paid as little as $400 for a pair and as high as $1000 for a single (new). Speakers that is but the crossovers were up there.

Crossovers can wait if not in-op and then get used to the sound first before swapping, they will at least need new caps if nothing else. there are a few places to get re-newed stock up to wild.

Go take a look, listen and identify any defects that might invite the owner to lower what I consider a slightly high price but as suggested have you max ready and then have your MAX stashed. I have walked away and then got a call within 3 blocks to come back.

I would consider this to be top of range and not be afraid to test the waters and wait....if you want them now at that price go get'em!

EDIT: I just saw your new photos; nice. The Belles are going to be DIFFERENT!

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1