Belles in my future?

Go get em, give the seller 2k and take them home. It is only going to get harder to find Belles, they will always hold their value so get them, love them and if they aren't what you're looking for sound wise, someone will take them off your hands no problem for what you paid for them. 

I updated my AA networks and added a Klipsch 15" sub and mine sound wonderful and look so beautiful. 

Good luck and keep us updated. 

• Like 1

Reached the seller.  Talked to him for about 15 minutes.  He said the Belles are in perfect working condition and is firm on the $2300.  I don't know whether he really wants to sell them or not. He lectured me about how great "his" belles are and that since they are from the early 80s, they are of superior quality and have better parts than later models.  I mentioned the input I received here on the board which he simply brushed off.  He also owns some La Scalas and CWs and I had to hear all about them too.  He worked hard to establish his superior knowledge of the Heritage line.  Said he would rather keep the Belles than come down on the price at all.  Doesn't look like this is going to become one of those great finds.  He let it be known that I could only see them on the weekend.  So, here I am kind of miffed at his attitude and looking at a rare opportunity to acquire a nice pair of Belles.

runninshine: I like your guidance but I don't know if the 2K is going to do it.

I gave him my name and phone number and asked him to call me if he is interested in working a deal.  Told him I'd be thinking and maybe call him later in the week and that if he ended up keeping them it is ok with me.

By looking at the pictures of the tag on the Craigslist post, looks like a 2000 model. They look very similar (other than finish) to my Belle center. I have the AB-2 x-overs as well. Mine is a 98 model.

I can't see the last three digits of the s/n, but the first part seems to be.... BKMH17-00400***

Bryant

• Like 1

Maybe he doesn't know so much about his own Belles after all.  Even I think the tags look much newer than early 80's.  Bryant0086, thank you for your sharp eye.  I finally saw the numbers you did but I had to jimmy with my monitor settings quite a bit to get past the glare.  Maybe I'll call back and get the exact serial numbers.  Are 2000 models valued any different than what he believes to be early 80s I wonder?

Edit: I called and he is going to call me back in the morning with the serial numbers.

Edited by Masterflysparklestick

So, here I am kind of miffed at his attitude and looking at a rare opportunity to acquire a nice pair of Belles.
Boils down to your desire at price point and availabilty at general location. Good luck.

Guest Steven1963

I can't see that he has done any upgrades/modifications to his Belles. So no price premium for being 'superior.' His asking price is what pristine Belles would fetch.  His aren't pristine.

A little story: There is a CL posting here for a pair of Heresy I's in very good shape.  Guy wants $1200.  I emailed him and politely told him that his asking price was at least double the going price for those speakers. He replied that he knew that, but that he didn't care if he sold them or not, and in fact, hoped he didn't. But that he was going to keep replacing the ad when it ran out at the same price.  He's been running them now for at least a month, that I know.  Still $1200.  He'll never sell them and I guess he's fine with that.

The Belles aren't priced impossibly high to keep them from selling, but I'm not sure this guy is very interested in selling them, either.

Bottom line: you want them, your gonna have to pay $2300 for them.  For me, that's like paying $3000 for Khorns when I know if I wait just a little longer they are gonna show up for $2500.

Reached the seller.  Talked to him for about 15 minutes....  He worked hard to establish his superior knowledge of the Heritage line.  Said he would rather keep the Belles than come down on the price at all.  Doesn't look like this is going to become one of those great finds.  He let it be known that I could only see them on the weekend.  

So, here I am kind of miffed at his attitude and looking at a rare opportunity to acquire a nice pair of Belles.

I gave him my name and phone number and asked him to call me if he is interested in working a deal.  Told him I'd be thinking and maybe call him later in the week and that if he ended up keeping them it is ok with me.

I've known sellers like that.  They must belong to a club for arrogant sellers or something because I know exactly the type you are talking about.  And I know that by your reaction to him, as my reaction to similar sellers was exactly the same, miffed at his attitude.  I pass on those "deals," there will be another chance to get what you want at fair price.

I agree with everybody, offer YOUR PRICE to him, and let him decide.  If you pay more than they are worth, you will think about that every time you play your speakers.  Instead of enjoying them, it will bother you every day.

My best advice is don't fall in love with someone else's speakers.  It'll just cost you more money and always leads to heartache.  B)

I agree with Wuv80 but on the other hand if you were to buy MY Belles they would be way more than that so it all depends...........

LOL!  We have got both sides of the road, covered!   :lol: 

We're going to have this poor guy so screwed up... :rolleyes:

+++

I do have a suggestion.  (don't be snarky guys, I promise this suggestion will be better than my usual ones  :P )

I've noticed there are a LOT of Klipsch listed on Colorado and Denver CL in the last year, so I assume there is a dealer there somewhere who has put a lot of Klipsch into the local market. 

Why not post a WTB ad?  I know that probably works better on sites like Klipsch and avsforum.com than CL, but it costs you nothing to put out a feeler and see if someone wants to sell.

I agree with Wuv80 but on the other hand if you were to buy MY Belles they would be way more than that so it all depends...........

LOL!  We have got both sides of the road, covered!   :lol:

We're going to have this poor guy so screwed up... :rolleyes:

+++

I do have a suggestion.  (don't be snarky guys, I promise this suggestion will be better than my usual ones  :P )

I've noticed there are a LOT of Klipsch listed on Colorado and Denver CL in the last year, so I assume there is a dealer there somewhere who has put a lot of Klipsch into the local market. 

Why not post a WTB ad?  I know that probably works better on sites like Klipsch and avsforum.com than CL, but it costs you nothing to put out a feeler and see if someone wants to sell.

Funny I thought the same thing after I posted my last comment; wow, how we must be confusing this! I INTENDED it to be to show that the price of Belles can run from low to high.

• Like 1

I agree with Wuv80 too, has a way with words doesn't he?  I'll see if the seller indeed calls me with the serial numbers tomorrow, then clam up for a few days.  He knows I'll show up with cash and no  :pwk_bs:.  I'll tell him my price and if he's interested then I will go see them.  If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.  I have three nice systems as it is and if I get the Belles then I have to figure out a way to set up a bathroom system. Someday my wife is going to start asking questions.

• Like 1

They do appear to be newer than 1980's based on the tag.  One thing to keep in mind in relation to price, these are Mahogany, which is a relatively rare finish and it is on Belles which are also a bit harder to find.  As a result, the price isn't too much out-of-line and would probably be fairly priced if not for the veneer chips.  These will be an upgrade over your Reference models but just keep in mind Belle's and LaScalas don't have deep bass so they may take some getting used to at first.  They will sound wonderful with your tube amp though.

• Like 1

Maybe he doesn't know so much about his own Belles after all.  Even I think the tags look much newer than early 80's.  Bryant0086, thank you for your sharp eye.  I finally saw the numbers you did but I had to jimmy with my monitor settings quite a bit to get past the glare.  Maybe I'll call back and get the exact serial numbers.  Are 2000 models valued any different than what he believes to be early 80s I wonder?

Edit: I called and he is going to call me back in the morning with the serial numbers.

Ha ha ha sharp eye. I put on my "Granpa" reading glasses and angled the monitor (I was on a laptop at the time) until I could make it out. I am not 100% sure that I was seeing BKMH17-00400*** The cabinets look beat up enough to be vintage. If they are "early 80's, unless they had crossover replacements, they would have to be October of 1983 or newer as '83 was the first year the AB-2 was introduced. If it were a 2000 model, it would be a limited production. Electrovoice stopped making the tweeter and mid in 2000. Those would be the "last of their breed."   

As far as which is worth more....... early 80's vs 2000 model. I suppose that depends on who you ask. Some people do have an affinity for vintage, but I don't know if early 80's would be vintage "enough" to be more collectible over a 2000 model if you know what I mean. I would prefer the 2000 model. You have drivers/crossovers less likely to fail, basically.

Here are three reasons why I think it is newer............

#1 I think I can read the s/n

#2 cabinet - although a little beat up, cabinets an early 80's vintage tend to be faded. That one just looks like it was hit a bunch, but is not faded so much. 

#3 part/serial label. The tag is modern looking. I am no expert on Klipsch tags. I have only owned one Belle, but that model plate simply doesn't look "vintage" to me.

I would defintiely go listen to them though. I love the hog finish and you can do wonders with those furniture touch up markers, if the dings aren't too bad. Curious to read your post tomorrow if he calls with the s/n numbers.

Bryant    

• Like 1