Belles in my future?

They sound pretty awesome for sure.  Much fuller, image and stage both excellent.  Couldn't get both before. Aimed about three feet behind listening position.  Huge improvement in drums and better mid bass. Clean loudness. The cabs are actually in excellent condition.  All of what looked like chips was just dirt.  They were very dirty.  The cleaning rags were actually blackened with dirt and had to rinse often.  Had to vacuum out the horn/crossover box before wiping out.  I think the dirt must have been protecting the finish.  Some polish and a little buffing and almost good as new.  

I do have to say though that the RB-81s were darn good 2ch speakers.  The Belles are much more, smooth.

They sounded as good as they could have with the gear he was using at audition but really shine with the tube amp.  Was a bit nervous whether my little 12" sealed SVS sub would keep up, but it is doing a great job blending and pumping out the lower bass.

First song: I'm Gone by Alison Kraus

Right Now: Sensual Overload by Chris Standring

Next: Headhunters LP by Herbie

• Like 2

I want to thank everybody for their input in this process.  I learned a lot of valuable information that helped me make what I feel was a good purchase.  I've been looking for years for a pair of local Belles and your help and advise helped put them in their proper place.

And just so ya know, a pair of Belles fit in the back of a Nissan Murano no problem other that when I had to slam on the brakes on I-225 and they slid a bit.

They sound pretty awesome for sure.  Much fuller, image and stage both excellent.  Couldn't get both before. Aimed about three feet behind listening position.  Huge improvement in drums and better mid bass. Clean loudness. The cabs are actually in excellent condition.  All of what looked like chips was just dirt.  They were very dirty.  The cleaning rags were actually blackened with dirt and had to rinse often.  Had to vacuum out the horn/crossover box before wiping out.  I think the dirt must have been protecting the finish.  Some polish and a little buffing and almost good as new.  

I do have to say though that the RB-81s were darn good 2ch speakers.  The Belles are much more, smooth.

They sounded as good as they could have with the gear he was using at audition but really shine with the tube amp.  Was a bit nervous whether my little 12" sealed SVS sub would keep up, but it is doing a great job blending and pumping out the lower bass.

First song: I'm Gone by Alison Kraus

Right Now: Sensual Overload by Chris Standring

Next: Headhunters LP by Herbie

Fantastic!  I don't know how low your listening chair(s) are.  Are your ears at about tweeter level?   That's usually a Good Thing.

I wish sound stores would at least have a pair of Belles or La Scala IIs on the showroom floor, so people could hear them. 

Congrats on still having reel to reel.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

Yes, exactly at ear level.  The 81s tweets were too high.

Forgot to mention:  On the drive to pick them up I told my wife that one of the fundamental laws of the universe will dictate that the Belles would be in a basement.  Yup.  Now I'm 62 years old, 5'9" and weigh a buck eighty, but with the seller on the top end and me on the bottom we got them out.  Glad my basement has a nice wide door going into the garage.

Also forgot to mention: Of course I had to Make sure I could drive the Belles at a decent volume.  I knew they were fine when the wife ran downstairs saying the heat registers in the floor were jumping.

Yes RTR forever.  The one in the pic is a Pioneer RT-707.  I've got an RT-909 in my HT room.  Analog rules!

Hey Mookie: Eyes are open!

Edited by Masterflysparklestick
  • Like 1

Good to hear you are happy with your purchase. Kinda knew you would be. Good choices on your first listen (I had to look up Chris Standring). I went a little harder route and played Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan for my first song but settled down after that. I know I'm in the minority but don't feel the need for a sub woofer with the Belle's. I am a subwoofer guy with over 1250 watts driving 3 subs in my basement (I even have a sub on my patio), but I hooked one up for a while with my Belles and ended up lugging it back downstairs after a couple days. I guess everyone's tastes are different. Your set up looks great too, eyes wide open! I may get my RTR out of storage and dust it off after seeing your set up.

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

Yeah Mookie, I've always been a bass guy.  I remember my first self contained record player as a kid.  The speaker faced up to the side of the platter and I'd put a small metal trash can upside down over it to "improve" the bass/resonance. Still have a few of the LPs I played on that thing 50 years ago.

Lenny by Stevie Ray is on the playlist tonight.

Congratulations, they look fantastic! They look much better than the sellers photos. Might be why they were on CL for so long.

Listen and enjoy for a few months before you update the networks. I've had mine for several months now with no mods and they amaze me everyday. When I do upgrade it should be noticeable since being accustomed to their sound.

Relax and enjoy! :emotion-22:  

• Like 1

Congratulations on a great buy, you won't regret it!  Hmmm, I haven't used my Belles in a while due to other commitments, I must set them up again. I miss that great sound stage.

And thanks, Tasdom, for that information about the spade/banana plug adapters.  I'm thinking about running a classic (vinyl) album afternoon in the future, using my Belles and a nice sub, powered by tubes. Those adapters will come in handy for setting up.

Geoff

• Like 1

That is awesome !! Glad the cabinets are in good shape. The Belles even look pretty good next to your rack, even though it is a different wood. The most important thing, obviously is that you think they sound good. Looks like mission accomplished. Enjoy !!

Bryant 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great help and kind words.  Loving the Belles, don't have words for it. 

I am now needing to warm up the tubes for about 15 minutes prior to listening.  I've read where some guys warm up for that long or longer to get optimum sound quality. Brings out the nice mid/highs and is a first for me with tubes.

Due to too much brightness before I had to pull my beloved 1946 Raytheon 6sn7GTs out of the CD player and put in a pair of Sylvania chrome domes.  Was able to go back to the Raytheons with the Belles and couldn't be happier.  Have a pair of them in my tube buffer in my HT room too.

Pretty much dialed in now.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I am now needing to warm up the tubes for about 15 minutes prior to listening. I've read where some guys warm up for that long or longer to get optimum sound quality. Brings out the nice mid/highs and is a first for me with tubes.

I once heard that in the '50s projectionists in 70 mm / 6track theaters were asked (by Todd-AO people?) to warm up their tube amplifiers for 25 minutes, so that's what I always did back when I had Dyna and McIntosh tube amps.

I used to have 2 Crown 15 ips/7.5 ips reel to reels, and loved them.  They aren't set up right now, and at least one of the rubber pinch rollers has deteriorated.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everybody for their input in this process.  I learned a lot of valuable information that helped me make what I feel was a good purchase.  I've been looking for years for a pair of local Belles and your help and advise helped put them in their proper place.

And just so ya know, a pair of Belles fit in the back of a Nissan Murano no problem other that when I had to slam on the brakes on I-225 and they slid a bit.

Congrats on your Belles...