Restoration Project: GE Console Gutting & Heresy

After pushing for a few years, I finally got the green light from my grandmother to gut the old console in her family room. This monstrous beast as been around since my mother was born, and has some considerable issues. It features a record changers (6 vinyls), a tuner, and a 8-track player built in between two speakers.

In it's hay day it was considered one of the best console units money could buy. (GE RC7839BCL-A)

My hopes for this is to totally gut the console, save for the tuner, record player (and depending on leftover available expense, the 8-track player) and totally redo the speakers and the amplifier. I'm actually thinking of working in either a good integrated amplifier, or a separates configuration. I haven't gotten that far in my planning stage yet.

My hopes are to replace the speakers with a Heresy configuration, as the dimensions are very similar (there's actually some added height, which I would resolve with some MDF. The amplifier would most likely be replaced with either a Yamaha unit with external IR, or perhaps even a Cambridge unit. I'm thinking of replacing the whole stylus on the record player as well. If I go the route of pre/pro, I'm opting for either Emotiva (after some huge success with it here at home), or Marantz.

What I'm currently trying to work out is if it's worth the $500 to get the parts for the Heresy III setup, or if it'd be in my better interest to CL stalk for a pair of I's or II's at a slightly cheaper cost. I suppose then, I could resell the cabs, and use some of that left over money to do additional updates.

My main question is, which would be best of those two options in speakers? Or would you recommend something other than the Heresy's altogether? Anyone have any thoughts on do's and don'ts of a console setup?

I had a quick look but could not find a lot of info on this model. Is this a tube amp or solid state? If it is a small tube amp say with 6V6 tubes the amp might well be worth a rebuild in fact it might just be the best part. Check it out. If it is SS then you can pass on the amplifier section. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

I'll definitely check that when I get it opened up Moray. Thanks!

It's a beautiful piece of furniture, so the drive is there to fix it up and keep it for at least a little while. Makes it easier to throw money at it. :)

• Like 1

thos old units for the most part had very nice sounding full range speakers in them and the units with tube amps were often simple but very god with superb tubes like 6BQ5 and 6V6. most were small but really nice sounding and will play loud enough to enjoy in a living room. A single 6v6 run as a SET (single ended triode) will make just under two watts (1.5 - 1.75 depending on the voltage you run them at). Run as a SEP (single ended pentode) it will make about 2.5 watts. In pentode the 6v6 is a ballsy powerful sounding little amp. Best regards Moray James. PS: beware some of these little amps can turn you upside down and make you want to leave the Big SS watt amps behind.

• Like 1

If my memory is correct, you will discover that the amp section is solid state (unfortunately!).  That unit, among others, was probably sold around 1965/66.  Moray is right about the tube consoles of that general era.  The amp sections which used tubes often offered really nice performance.  There are a lot of guys out there who are using restored amps from such consoles and they sound good!  Best of luck....

Maynard

Sounds good.

So would I be gaining or detracting if I went the route of replacing said amplifier? I've admittedly never heard this amplifier pound before, so I don't really know it's general characteristics. I'm also assuming there are some issues in there with the record player - as that's the only source I've ever heard on it.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. :)

It sounds like an interesting project. Just a few comments.

How far apart will the two speakers be (will they have enough separation so you get the stereo spread at your chair)?

How high off the floor will the Heresy "cabinet" be (you rapidly loose bass if the cabinets are raised off the floor and if they are not near room corners)?

Is the expense of renovating a tube amp (about 5 decades old) worth the effort and money (it could get expensive)? There are many other amps that might be quite affordable and still sound great.

Good luck with the project,

-Tom

How far apart will the two speakers be (will they have enough separation so you get the stereo spread at your chair)?

The speakers are built into the cabinet enclosure, the console unit spreads about 5 feet maybe.

How high off the floor will the Heresy "cabinet" be (you rapidly loose bass if the cabinets are raised off the floor and if they are not near room corners)?

It's designed to be the center of the wall. The cabinet sits about 3 inches from the floor before the floorboard of the cabinet begins.

Is the expense of renovating a tube amp (about 5 decades old) worth the effort and money (it could get expensive)? There are many other amps that might be quite affordable and still sound great.

That's a question I'm asking. ;)

If it's Solid State, switching over to the Emo configuration is the most appealing to me right now, unless someone has an alternative idea.

Good luck with the project,

-Tom

Thanks! It's the first time I've dealt with something of this caliber, so it'll be fun and interesting to see where it goes.

I guess what I would have to ask is...what is your long term goal for this unit?  I completely understand the sentimental value, and applaud your desire to maintain and improve this unit.  However, having had the same experience with one of these, and actually a couple of others that I acquired, I would wonder what you expect out of it?  Understand that it has a LOT more value to you than it does to other folks, so the prospect of reselling it in the future is more than likely a negative cash flow situation....I hate to be a downer, but it's true.  Even in it's fully upgraded configuration as you describe, there is no way that it's going to fulfill any expectations of a marvelous two channel setup....In reality, I would say that these are great display pieces....cool retro stuff, and that's about it.  Exactly how I have mine...

• Like 1

I have a different approach to it. If you find the speaker placement within the unit is not up to par for really critical listening, why not just run wiring to an external set of Heresy speakers? If you do decide to keep the TT and others intact, just disconnect the speakers for now and use the externals.

• Like 2

I guess what I would have to ask is...what is your long term goal for this unit?  I completely understand the sentimental value, and applaud your desire to maintain and improve this unit.  However, having had the same experience with one of these, and actually a couple of others that I acquired, I would wonder what you expect out of it?  Understand that it has a LOT more value to you than it does to other folks, so the prospect of reselling it in the future is more than likely a negative cash flow situation....I hate to be a downer, but it's true.  Even in it's fully upgraded configuration as you describe, there is no way that it's going to fulfill any expectations of a marvelous two channel setup....In reality, I would say that these are great display pieces....cool retro stuff, and that's about it.  Exactly how I have mine...

It would likely be sold down the line eventually.  However, that being said, I can't imagine not at least getting back enough out of it to make it worth it.  My grandmother will be using this unit now, and if I do things accordingly, it'd be able to be easily upgraded if someone else opted to do so.

I have a different approach to it. If you find the speaker placement within the unit is not up to par for really critical listening, why not just run wiring to an external set of Heresy speakers? If you do decide to keep the TT and others intact, just disconnect the speakers for now and use the externals.

Not at all a possibility. Everything needs to be kept in the cabinet.

I can't imagine not at least getting back enough out of it to make it worth it. 

OK, well, I'm just trying to provide the benefit of my experience and lots of research with these items.  Again, yes they are quite cool, many are really beautiful, but I honestly wouldn't pour a bunch of money into it.  Good luck, and have fun! 

And how about some photos????

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

I'll get you guys some photos when I go over there Friday to do the measurements and open it up.

The other idea I'm toying with is if the speaker system is 2-way like I'm suspecting it is, to use Reference drivers instead.  It'd reduce the cost that I'd be putting in too.  Finding some RB-81's to gut shouldn't be too hard, or even some towers.

Some of those old consoles sounded better than you would think. However, simply throwing drivers in there will probably yield less than optimal results. You may do better by buying an enclosed speaker and just mounting it in there with "L" brackets or something. You could even check pawn shops, Goodwill etc. for nicer speakers. You could cut away the wood in any place that may be obscuring any of the drivers behind the grillcloth.

Bryant

• Like 1

That's why I'm doing some measurements and testing first.  The problem with the amp is that it's damaged to a certain degree - we know that for a fact.

As for the drivers, that's still to be determined, I haven't have a chance to test anything out yet and get something a bit more solid statistically.  Outward cabinet modification is a strict no-no, so that's not even a possible thought.  As for the cabinets within the console - I have considered this, but again...I have to do the measurements first, and even determine if they need to be replaced.  Klipsch drivers would be replacing them if they're to be replaced, so CL is probably the way I'll go.  The thing I have to figure out though is if I'm going to be using Heritage drivers, Reference Drivers, or try and track down some older KG/CF drivers.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Based on the dimensions of each individual cabinet that houses the speakers...it looks like an almost perfect fit for the Heresy. If the inside of the cabinet elevates up at all...then just adding the Heresy would work.

Sounds like a cool project. Is that going to be a center piece in your man-cave?  I always loved consoles growing up, and they did sound quite good.

Back when I was a stupid 16 yr old, my parents junked a console. I took the woofers out and connected them to my F100 sitting behind the seat. The magnet held them in place, and fired them upward at an angle. They were being fed by an AM/FM converter fed from the stock AM radio. The verdict?  It sounded like absolute crap. Eventually I took some of my money and bough a pair of car speakers. It still sounded like crap, but better at least. Until some thief broke into my 1968 piece of crap F100, opened the glove box, and stole my precious AM/FM converter.

Those consoles really pumped out the sound. Especially the good ones. The speakers in them are definitely only good for the console they are in and maybe hooked to the amp they are hooked to. To me they are more mono than stereo. It doesn't really matter, still very good. It helped reinforce the bass at least.

I always thought a hidden powered sub and some dipole type speakers would kick it in a cab like this. Parts Express sell Tang Band for the upper end Full Range, Dayton for the mid priced unit, and a couple other el-cheapo full range drivers from unbrand whoever manufacturers. I think this Dayton PS220-8 looks pretty nice. A couple of them and a hidden sub would sound beasty. Or would it?