rf-7ii's as surrounds?

Paducah Home Theater

• Moderators

I've heard of people using 5 identical towers (not specifically RF-7ii) with great results.  Might be a little overkill but isn't that what this hobby is about?  Shouldn't be anything weird about doing it.

• Like 1

Forum member Pite, has RF-7II's in all positions!  Nothing weird at all seems like the way to go.  I hate sound sprayers in the rear.

I had some other towers I ran in the side position for awile along with some THX, I got this seamless panning all the way around, sounds would sound like they're coming from nowhere in the wall. Kind of went away when I elevated the sides with some RS-62's, and went away even more when I introduced the RC-64. I'm wanting everything to blend more but don't want to give up my RF-7ii's in the front.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I had 4 Klipschorn's, a La Scala center and Belle side surrounds at one point.   Also had two pairs of vertical Cornwalls in the back at one point as well.  Talk about realism!  Wow!  I downsized because they took up a lot of real estate.  Sold my rear Klipschorn's to Brac here on the forum.

Don't think I'm missing anything with 9 Heritage speakers in the room.  :D

• Like 2

• Moderators
Anything less than identical speakers (at all positions) in a multi-channel system is a compromise.

Not sure I agree with this.  That would mean 100% of movie theaters are compromised then as I have never found one that uses the huge cinema speakers that are behind the screen for side and rear surrounds.

• Like 1

Anything less than identical speakers (at all positions) in a multi-channel system is a compromise.

Not sure I agree with this.  That would mean 100% of movie theaters are compromised then as I have never found one that uses the huge cinema speakers that are behind the screen for side and rear surrounds.

I think that applies to multichannel music only.

I don't think rear and surround towers are high enough off floor for ideal movie surround formats.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

I think that applies to multichannel music only.

Music is where I notice it, concert blu rays can pan around the room and it's seamless. The only other time I really know it does this for sure is Transformers, sometimes the camera does like a 360 and Optimus Prime's voice pans around the room at least partially. These effects aren't very seamless right now.

I don't think rear and surround towers are high enough off floor for ideal movie surround formats.

The new Atmos recommendation is to run everything except your ceiling speakers at the same height. Rear surround is supposed to be the same as your mains.

• Moderators

Just curious how one would setup 7 / 9 or 11 speakers using Khorns?  I think I most people would be just fine using Khorns for mains and say LaScalas for center and surrounds.  Would that still be considered a compromise?

• Like 1

RF 7 II's all around is OK but, way overkill.  The RS series are excellent as surrounds.  SB tower speakers make sense and provide the bass umph with movies.  For music, the amount and volume of information from behind should not be dominant and the RF 7II's will work but, once again over kill if subs are in the system IMHO.

• Like 1