rf-7ii's as surrounds?

Paducah Home Theater

Wouldn't Audessey adjust them to the proper levels?

Yes, that is why they would be overkill.  You will not be using a great speakers full potential.  Might as well get something smaller to start with.  It is a personal choice and if you like the look, great.  Some people like me, like the look of power amps in the system.  I still don't know after a couple of years if there is a real benefit in my system, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

I do think having the same horn/driver all the way around would be useful if someone ran all 7ii as an example. However set up would be a lot harder being that you would need to fit and get all 7 horns pointing right at the lp. Its hard to say if the money spent would be worth the upgrade. If you can fit them and can find a great deal on a pair of used rf7iis go for it. Can always sell them if its not all that. 

• Like 1

Yes, that is why they would be overkill.  You will not be using a great speakers full potential.  Might as well get something smaller to start with.  It is a personal choice and if you like the look, great.  Some people like me like the look of power amps in the system.  I still don't know after a couple of years if there is a real benefit in my system, lol.

I just really like the tone, I feel like they don't really have some of the compromises that other consumer oriented speakers do, even at low volumes. If there was a mini RF-7ii that sounded exactly the same it would interest me. I can't say that there is such a thing. Maybe should have just ran identical Heresy's all the way around. :)

set up would be a lot harder being that you would need to fit and get all 7 horns pointing right at the lp.

I'm not sure I could do this from behind for 7.1, but on my 5.1 sides, I only have one row of four seats, so aiming at everybody's head is pretty easy.

Its hard to say if the money spent would be worth the upgrade. If you can fit them and can find a great deal on a pair of used rf7iis go for it.

As for fitting, I guess it would be easy enough to move my current ones back there to see how awkward it is. They'd be new, I know a guy. ;)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

The RB 81 II is like a mini RF 7 II, lol.  Now you will need a stand, ha, ha.  Most of us have limited space and aesthetics is also a consideration for family rooms.  The RS speaker wall mount, hide the wires behind the wall, nice and neat.

• Like 1

The RS speaker wall mount, hide the wires behind the wall, nice and neat.

That's what I'm running now. I'm happy on most movies. The tone is a little different though, not real obvious most of the time but with music it is. Cymbals definitely don't sound the same.

Anything less than identical speakers (at all positions) in a multi-channel system is a compromise.

Not sure I agree with this.  That would mean 100% of movie theaters are compromised then as I have never found one that uses the huge cinema speakers that are behind the screen for side and rear surrounds.

Sometimes circumstances dictate compromise.  In the case of movie theaters (as well as nearly all home theaters) , cost, available space, appearance, etc. all carry factor.  Don't confuse this with optimum performance.  

lol

I love it as it sounds great. Actually, if you look at the signature, there are six RF-7 II Floor Stander, RC-64 II center channel and no subwoofer. Regarding movie theater actually it has more than 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. It's all about angling the sound (i.e. speakers) to the listening position.

I am all for friendly suggestions. But the question was asked if ALL IDENTICAL SPEAKERS would be the best. If you have the room and the cash then yes! If we are talking whatever speaker of choice 7 of the same is the PERFECT setup. No if ands or buts. Your avr will level match. The panning will be perfect all around. Trust me everyone in here would rock all the same stuff around if their rooms were big enough and the speakers were given to them.

Has anybody here done this and ran a full 5 channel setup all with RF-7ii's? Anything weird about it? Seems like it would be awesome.

I believe the original question of the thread was "rf-7ii's as surrounds?" with additonal questions as above...

Indeed mxr, it sounds insanely awesome !! It's Nirvana with chest pounding base at -10dB.

Actually, I found that lowering RC-64 II's gain (kind of removing center channel) and listening in the 6.0 stereo mode it sounds much better with 6 RF-7 IIs.

Probably, we need to start another thread regarding "How to make (convert) RF-7 II center speaker". I can only dream that Klipsch allows me to build a RF-7 II Center Channel at their Hope facility :D I've few ideas and who knows it might be a new hit center channel speaker :P

Not quite to pite's set up... But so far quad 7ii's with a 64ii center. Yes- love the 7ii's as surrounds.

I like when people look over their shoulder and the 7ii's behind them are kinda looming in the back... "Yup, that's me you heard"

It also has a big wow factor to see that kind of hardware around the room.

How much room would be required to have 7ii's as side AND rear surround, that would need to be an enormous room to keep the towers all spaced from the wall. Or would you put the sides against the wall?

My front and rears are all 18" away from side and rear walls. Sounds like wasted space with sides?

I can only dream that Klipsch allows me to build a RF-7 II Center Channel at their Hope facility :D

Just curious...are you an employee?

Youthman, I wish !! No I'm not Klipsch employee, but engineer by trade. With little help and right tools probably I can make a speaker of my dream. The biggest thing is that it has to absolutely match the rest of RF-7 II in veneer, size etc.

Qman who used to frequent this forum had a Klipschorn center channel.  He layed the bin on it's side and used an Altec horn and JBL tweeter.  He used La Scala's as front heights and Jensen Imperials in the rear.  All Mac gear running it.  Wish the search function would work so I could link to his photos.

HornEd another older forum member had a full complement of KLF-30's down to a custom one for a center.

IndyKlipschFan (Roger) has 7 Pro La Scala's all around.

I am not a fan of the RS sound sprayers, perhaps in the side surround position only not as a the only rear speaker.  There is a lot more audio content back there that benefits from a robust rear speaker.  The newer DTS-ES soundtracks really exercise my Cornwalls and Heresy's in the rear, it is more than just ambience and echoes.  For music it is a no brainer to have at least one pair of direct radiators in the rear.  YMMV

I did not notice any real loss stepping down to Cornwall's from Klipschorn's in the rear since they are close in the overall frequency spectrum sans the horn loaded bass.