'jailbroken' T.V. ?

Guest Steven1963

Thats all I need to hear, I will be ordering that one soon. Any other add-ons needed that may be convenient? Also, as I mentioned earlier, wife will probably spontaneously combust if she cant get Lifetime. Are you able to get that channel?

I think I'm going to do one from scratch the Asus Chromebox seems pretty well priced and the instructions for installing openelec and kodi add ons seems pretty simple. The only concern I have is my internet connection is DSL and not the fastest. I have a couple atv's and Roku players and they stream ok, if this chromebox works as advertised I will be very happy! This is a good read.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

I think I am going this way... I want to cut cable so bad, it's not funny. are there advantages or disadvantages to any of the minix units out?

just a bit confused here - would this type of box be the same as cable tv - or better - or less

Guest Steven1963

You would need a box for each monitor. I've included some photos for a little bit better reference.  The first photo is of the box. The second is of the interface. Think of each icon as an app. with each app having its own set of sub-selections, which is what the next pictures is (choose a movie!), and then finally, choose a site to stream from (notice some are in HD and some are in SD). 

My box is a little different (definitely jail-broken) than the others, so I'm not sure it displays the same, but I'm sure the concept is similar. See the last picture by what I mean by different.

post-58311-0-30440000-1428277097_thumb.j

post-58311-0-63440000-1428277115_thumb.j

post-58311-0-09400000-1428277131_thumb.j

post-58311-0-48800000-1428277148_thumb.j

post-58311-0-70440000-1428277744_thumb.j

Edited by Steven1963

cool... so I would need at least three of these boxes. figure about 200$ea, that pays for itself in as little as three months. I think I am sold and severing the cable umbilicus save for interweb.

thanks and lets keep the topic running.

If you want to watch More TV programs and movies than what comes pre loaded
pardon me if this question was previously asked … how large is the selection of programs that come preloaded?  Can one “live on” the preloaded stuff or is installing more repositories going to be absolutely necessary? 

Guest Steven1963

pardon me if this question was previously asked … how large is the selection of programs that come preloaded?  Can one “live on” the preloaded stuff or is installing more repositories going to be absolutely necessary? 

The repositories are sort of like a customized selection of pre-loaded apps. As far as my unit is concerned, I cannot think I would ever require any other repository. I only have a little over 100 of the apps loaded to my selection screen from my repository. Yet my repository offers well over 1,000 additional apps that I could install to my selection screen.  The store-purchased boxes might be different.

pardon me if this question was previously asked … how large is the selection of programs that come preloaded? Can one “live on” the preloaded stuff or is installing more repositories going to be absolutely necessary?
What are some shows you enjoy now?

Better Call Saul, Burn Notice, sports, music, old shows from 60s & 70s (Quincy, Mash, etc…)

you need internet access so you will have to continue service. For those interested in boxes like the minix, there are hundreds of tutorials on youtube of  people showing how to set it up with their  favorite video apps.   just do a search for best apps for Kodi or xmbc. it will also give you a great idea of exactly what you can do with them.   As well, Kodi is an open program that you can also download to your computer and see what it is like before buying anything, if you so desire.

Edited by shiva

Guest Steven1963

Haha. Tubes are 'sold separately.' I don't think you'll be wasting any money. It might be an adjustment away from cable or satellite because it's not as intuitive, but for me, it's worth the effort because once you cut that cord the $ savings is huge.

• 1 month later...

FYI I pulled the trigger on the Asus chromebox and installed openelec and kodi In a dual boot configuration. Very pleased with this setup the chromebox boots up and is on the kodi main screen in about a second literally that fast. I have not played around much with it yet just movies and TV shows but I am very impressed with this box, I will have some apple tv' s and Rokus for sale soon.