Advantages of tinning speaker wires with Silver solder?

TwoCables

I doubt that silver soldering is going to make that "huge or noticeble" difference. That said, if you use optmimum-bigger diameter-low number gauge wire for a given distance, then it'll increase couple of voltage from electrical aspect and might make an audible difference from hearing aspect as for the same level (dB or % of volume level) now you are getting bit more voltage.

High end electronics use gold contacts etc. or pure silver when measurement resolution for tiny voltage/current is in question. Since this is about driving relatively bigger voltage/current in my opinion other than bragging rights there might not be much to get out of it.

I doubt that silver soldering is going to make that "huge or noticeble" difference. That said, if you use optmimum-bigger diameter-low number gauge wire for a given distance, then it'll increase couple of millivolts from electrical aspect and won't make an audible difference from hearing aspect as for the same level (dB or % of volume level) now you are getting insignificantly more voltage.

High end electronics use gold contacts etc. or pure silver when measurement resolution for tiny voltage/current is in question. Since this is about driving relatively bigger voltage/current in my opinion other than bragging rights there might not be much to get out of it.

FIFY

Klipsch speakers are very efficient, hence a low current draw and low voltage drop. For short runs 16 gage wire is sufficient, 12 gage for longer runs. It won't hurt to go bigger, just costs more.

So, let's say that an outer layer of strands were stripped away at all 4 ends from this Monster XP cable (meaning, amateurishly stripped away with the jacket) and even made the diameter visibly smaller by a little bit. If this is what happened to my cables (and I believe it did), then could we say that I'm still getting the very best audio quality and experience possible out of my ProMedia 2.1's satellites? I guess what I'm asking is, are these cables pretty overkill as it is?

A single strand of 28ga wire is rated to carry 1.4A !

i experimented with magnet wire for a while and found a single strand (per terminal) of 28ga to be perfectly suitable for standard listening levels. it's funny how marketing over the decades has warped our understanding of physics.

MORE POWER. BIGGER WIRE. UNOBTANIUM PLATE YOUR EARS.

So, let's say that an outer layer of strands were stripped away at all 4 ends from this Monster XP cable (meaning, amateurishly stripped away with the jacket) and even made the diameter visibly smaller by a little bit. If this is what happened to my cables (and I believe it did), then could we say that I'm still getting the very best audio quality and experience possible out of my ProMedia 2.1's satellites?

Yes

I guess what I'm asking is, are these cables pretty overkill as it is?

Yes

So, let's say that an outer layer of strands were stripped away at all 4 ends from this Monster XP cable (meaning, amateurishly stripped away with the jacket) and even made the diameter visibly smaller by a little bit. If this is what happened to my cables (and I believe it did), then could we say that I'm still getting the very best audio quality and experience possible out of my ProMedia 2.1's satellites?

Yes

I guess what I'm asking is, are these cables pretty overkill as it is?

Yes

Good. Thank you. I admit that I asked more or less to see if any experts could confirm that the answer is indeed 'Yes', which is what I was thinking.

First, I have these speaker wires:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Premium-Speaker-Wires-Custom-Made-Pair-10-/121597099798

The bare ends are tinned with Silver solder, but I noticed that whoever stripped the ends of the jackets off cut some of the strands off as well. So, I'm considering restripping the ends for peace of mind (because I know that I can do it perfectly), but I don't have a soldering iron to retin the ends. Even if I did, I've read that using Silver solder requires practice. So, my question is: what are the advantages of (or reasons for) tinning the bare ends of speaker wires with Silver solder? Is it done for superior audio quality?

The reason I ask is, I don't want to cut and restrip the ends if I'll no longer be hearing the benefit of that Silver solder. However, I would really like the peace of mind knowing that all 100% of the strands are in my wire connectors. So, I'm a bit torn. Can you help?

Edit: Of course, I have no way to know if they did the same thing at the other ends where the plugs are. So, I'm also considering just making my own using the same parts (because I know where to buy these plugs and these wires).

Edit #2: I'm using these wires for the ProMedia 2.1.

how can you go wrong on this purchase - they give you pair of cables all done with the right connectors -plug and play - after the labour and soldering - shipping -they make 5$ profit - pay ebay another 10% in fee - doesnt look like a bad deal at all , for a custom made cable -

First, I have these speaker wires:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Premium-Speaker-Wires-Custom-Made-Pair-10-/121597099798

The bare ends are tinned with Silver solder, but I noticed that whoever stripped the ends of the jackets off cut some of the strands off as well. So, I'm considering restripping the ends for peace of mind (because I know that I can do it perfectly), but I don't have a soldering iron to retin the ends. Even if I did, I've read that using Silver solder requires practice. So, my question is: what are the advantages of (or reasons for) tinning the bare ends of speaker wires with Silver solder? Is it done for superior audio quality?

The reason I ask is, I don't want to cut and restrip the ends if I'll no longer be hearing the benefit of that Silver solder. However, I would really like the peace of mind knowing that all 100% of the strands are in my wire connectors. So, I'm a bit torn. Can you help?

Edit: Of course, I have no way to know if they did the same thing at the other ends where the plugs are. So, I'm also considering just making my own using the same parts (because I know where to buy these plugs and these wires).

Edit #2: I'm using these wires for the ProMedia 2.1.

how can you go wrong on this purchase - they give you pair of cables all done with the right connectors -plug and play - after the labour and soldering - shipping -they make 5$ profit - pay ebay another 10% in fee - doesnt look like a bad deal at all , for a custom made cable -

Indeed. I came close to making my own until I saw what my costs would be in the end. I mean, I'd still need to buy a soldering iron and some good solder. Not only that, but I'd have to learn how to solder the plugs on and how to tin the ends. It's like being able to buy the Klipsch Monster cables that used to be available.

Edited by TwoCables

The main problem with cable ends with some strands broken, then the remainder tinned, is that it creates a mechanically weak point where the tinning ends. Movement will cause the copper to work harden at that point, then break. Not a problem if you install it and never move it again, but if your speakers get shuffled about regularly, for example on a crowded desk, it's something to consider.

So, let's say that an outer layer of strands were stripped away at all 4 ends from this Monster XP cable (meaning, amateurishly stripped away with the jacket) and even made the diameter visibly smaller by a little bit. If this is what happened to my cables (and I believe it did), then could we say that I'm still getting the very best audio quality and experience possible out of my ProMedia 2.1's satellites? I guess what I'm asking is, are these cables pretty overkill as it is?

Best is to have few pics and I can say it for sure, but I really doubt, that the connection itself is gong to change the performance. The bigger diameter cable is a different stroy (per my explanation above). Unless, it's a loose connection I wouldn't worry. Enjoy your Klipshes ^_^

Best is to have few pics and I can say it for sure, but I really doubt, that the connection itself is gong to change the performance. The bigger diameter cable is a different stroy (per my explanation above). Unless, it's a loose connection I wouldn't worry. Enjoy your Klipshes ^_^

Yeah, I guess I should relax a bit. I mean, the bare ends look to be about twice as thick as even these ~20 AWG cables:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Premium-Gold-16ga-Speaker-wires-Cables-Professional-Pair-/251886694828

I tried these out before trying the Monster ones, and I can tell after comparing them to the Monster wires that they are definitely not 16 AWG. The bare ends are just barely thicker than the stock wires, which are 22 AWG. So, I'm calling them 20 AWG, especially because the Monster wires are monstrous in size when I compare the bare ends (pun not intended).

Still, you're right: I should try to get some photos to show exactly what I'm seeing. Of course, lol, it's not like I'm using these cables for a top-of-the-line audiophile-grade system. So, I'd imagine that even if I were missing like 30-40 strands at the ends, it's probably not making any difference.

Of course, lol, it's not like I'm using these cables for a top-of-the-line audiophile-grade system. So, I'd imagine that even if I were missing like 30-40 strands at the ends, it's probably not making any difference.

stop bagging on your own gear. you've gotta start somewhere and the laws of physics exist regardless of the system's cost. 

Here is how to finally convince yourself..

Grab a 18 or 20 gauge lamp or extension cord, whack it to the correct lengths (give a big dam if they are equal lengths)  and strip both ends, connect to your system and listen.

Take your new speakers cables and do the same.

Do you hear a difference? The answer my son blows in the wind and only YOU will know what the future holds as far as what you want to spend on speaker wire.

This is the truth, no forum answer will convince you. Go forth and prove it to yourself because no matter what the electrical conductivity of any materiel is reported YOU need to decide if it makes a difference. If it does then experiment and spend as you wish. If it does not listen to tunes and sleep well at night.

Peace, out.

Edited by USNRET

Of course, lol, it's not like I'm using these cables for a top-of-the-line audiophile-grade system. So, I'd imagine that even if I were missing like 30-40 strands at the ends, it's probably not making any difference.

stop bagging on your own gear. you've gotta start somewhere and the laws of physics exist regardless of the system's cost. 

But I thought that only super high-end audiophile-grade audio systems would be able to show tiny differences between cables, such as the difference between cleanly-stripped ends on the Monster XPs, and somewhat amateurishly-stripped ends (as though it was done by a very experienced professional who was maybe in a bit of a hurry and took like an outer layer of skin of strands with the jacket). I mean, I was under the impression that you'd need the best of the best in audio equipment to hear such a difference.

Don't get me wrong: the ProMedia 2.1 has been constantly knocking my socks off ever since I bought it. So, if I were asked to write a review on it, then that review would have absolutely nothing negative in it. I mean, this is the best speaker system that I've ever had, period. Sure, it's absolutely nothing compared to my parents' high-end Denon receiver and high-end B&W speakers with their beefy high-end Monster cables, but for me, it's pure audio bliss. So, ever since I've upgraded to this speaker system, I've been trying to do everything that I can to get to the absolute peak of their performance. Therefore, even though I saw what looks like an outer skin of strands has been stripped away, I am hoping that I'm still getting the best possible performance for my ProMedia 2.1 from these cables. I mean, I hope that they were so much overkill that they're STILL overkill even with the way I think they are now.

So, I guess it's just the case of wanting more and more and more and hoping that nothing is standing in my way of getting it. :)

Here is how to finally convince yourself..

Grab a 18 or 20 gauge lamp or extension cord, whack it to the correct lengths (give a big dam if they are equal lengths)  and strip both ends, connect to your system and listen.

Take your new speakers cables and do the same.

Do you hear a difference? The answer my son blows in the wind and only YOU will know what the future holds as far as what you want to spend on speaker wire.

This is the truth, no forum answer will convince you. Go forth and prove it to yourself because no matter what the electrical conductivity of any materiel is reported YOU need to decide if it makes a difference. If it does then experiment and spend as you wish. If it does not listen to tunes and sleep well at night.

Peace, out.

I would if I could, but we're talking about the ProMedia 2.1 here and so I'd need to put 1/8" mono plugs on one end for the satellites. I've never done that, and so I'd first need to learn how. If it requires a soldering iron, then I'd also need to buy one (and some good solder), and I'd also need to learn how to solder. It's just not worth it. However, if I already had a soldering iron and I already knew how to put plugs on a speaker cable, then I'd be all over this idea.

Edited by TwoCables

You stated this is on a Pro Media system.

(I've owned three of them)

I'd bet a very satisfying lunch that those leads are not tinned with any form of silver solder.  (though the solder might be silver in color)

I recall seeing that my leads were tinned....  but I'd have to simply say there is no way Klipsch would go to the extra expense of silver solder over normal solder on them.