Advantages of tinning speaker wires with Silver solder?

TwoCables

First, I have these speaker wires:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Premium-Speaker-Wires-Custom-Made-Pair-10-/121597099798

This is not the upgrade kit that Klipsch used to sell. These wires are 'made' by the owners of this eBay account (they are a professional audio repair center that's based out in California).

The bare ends are tinned with Silver solder, but I noticed that whoever stripped the ends of the jackets off cut some of the strands off as well. So, I'm considering restripping the ends for peace of mind (because I know that I can do it perfectly), but I don't have a soldering iron to retin the ends. Even if I did, I've read that using Silver solder requires practice. So, my question is: what are the advantages of (or reasons for) tinning the bare ends of speaker wires with Silver solder? Is it done for superior audio quality?

The reason I ask is, I don't want to cut and restrip the ends if I'll no longer be hearing the benefit of that Silver solder. However, I would really like the peace of mind knowing that all 100% of the strands are in my wire connectors. So, I'm a bit torn. Can you help?

Edit: Of course, I have no way to know if they did the same thing at the other ends where the plugs are. So, I'm also considering just making my own using the same parts (because I know where to buy these plugs and these wires).

Edit #2: I'm using these wires for the ProMedia 2.1.

Edited by TwoCables

The bare ends are tinned with Silver solder

I doubt that is is silver solder as most solder used on electrical (speaker) wire is around 60/40 tin /lead. Silver solder requires a lot of heat to melt and is VERY hard which does not lend itself to an 'crush factor' when crimping or attaching to a terminal. If I use a screw down or spring loaded connector I leave the wires bare for the crush factor otherwise they will loosen up over time.

hearing the benefit of that Silver solder

I'm not touching that....

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

The bare ends are tinned with Silver solder

I doubt that is is silver solder as most solder used on electrical (speaker) wire is around 60/40 tin /lead. Silver solder requires a lot of heat to melt and is VERY hard which does not lend itself to an 'crush factor' when crimping or attaching to a terminal. If I use a screw down or spring loaded connector I leave the wires bare for the crush factor otherwise they will loosen up over time.

hearing the benefit of that Silver solder

I'm not touching that....

They said that it's Silver solder, but of course I have no way to prove it.

Anyway, why aren't you touching that? I'm not saying that there's an audible difference; I'm asking if there is. I mean, if the purpose of tinning them with a Silver solder has nothing to do with the audio quality, then I'm going to restrip them because I know that I can do a better job than what they did, and then I'll have peace of mind that I'm getting the best out of these cables. Again though, I still have to wonder about the plug ends. heh

Since you asked , it is my opinion that while there be some sound differences between solid silver wire and copper wire I would think that having only an inch or so od silver at the end of a 10' copper wire would make no difference at all.

I just go for solidly built wires of the proper guage.

He's not touching that because of the endless debate on cables, wires, power conditioners, AVR vs AVP, amp vs amp.......... the list goes one. Whether the silver makes a difference can come up with many opinions and can get ugly at times. 

• Like 2

but I don't have a soldering iron to retin the ends

If you're going to be in this hobby, a soldering iron/gun/station is a great tool to have.  You'll use it for more than just tinkering with speakers as well.

Oh, I'm not making a hobby out of it. :) I'm just thinking that if the person who made my wires doesn't know how to strip wires cleanly, then I'd probably be better off making my own and then being done with it. Of course, I'd only do it if I could find out if stripping away a bunch of the strands along with end of the jacket means that I'm not getting the very best performance out of my wires.

Edited by TwoCables

Oh, I'm not making a hobby out of it.

If you're posting here, it's already a hobby ;)

hehe I suppose. I mean, I'm definitely a DIY'er.

No self respecting DIY'er should be sans soldering gun!

Edited by CECAA850

I agree, but I haven't needed one yet. lol I can't think of anything that I'd use it for other than this.

Oh, I'm not making a hobby out of it.

If you're posting here, it's already a hobby ;)

hehe I suppose. I mean, I'm definitely a DIY'er.

No self respecting DIY'er should sans soldering gun!

Don't be so negative, unhelpful, and snarky. ;)

Hmm. I didn't see it as negative, unhelpful or snarky.

I agree, but I haven't needed one yet. lol I can't think of anything that I'd use it for other than this.

Since when does "NEED" have anything to do with getting a new tool?

• Like 1

it's not tinned with silver, but I have been extremely happy with this stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400431669397?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Very easy to work with, lays flat, and is just decent quality wire without breaking the bank.

LOL I'm in trouble now. :) DO WANT. Neat color too.

We'll see what my future brings. hehe

• Like 1