Advantages of tinning speaker wires with Silver solder?

TwoCables

There are products that are conductive greases which will protect from oxidation and give a superior electrical connection. They contain silver flakes that contact both the wire and the connector on the amp and speaker. I have used such a product from Koford - expensive, but a dab on the end of a toothpick is all that is needed. No way am I going to grease wire with Vaseline to prevent copper corrosion; the "cure" can end up worse than the "problem". 

Edited by Don Richard

Yeah, I did start thinking that if petroleum jelly isn't conductive, then that would have a potential of making the signal weaker. I don't have enough education to know if that would make an audible difference, but I guess it doesn't if there are others using it even though there are products that are specifically made for this that are conductive.

I never knew D grease inhibited the flow of current. I guess it would help with stray currents

Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. It also disrupts the flow of electrical current, which makes it good for lubricating and sealing the rubber parts of electrical connectors. It's commonly used in automotive spark plug wires, recreational and utility vehicles, and electrical systems in aircraft.

Silicone is an insulator but as long as there's a good mechanical connection at the male and female connector, dielectric grease effectively prevents corrosion by inhibiting air and moisture on the contacts.  We use it directly in the plug itself.

Don, are you talking about dielectric grease?  We use it all the time in connectors.

No, the product I referred to is generally used between motor and generator brushes and the brush holder, mostly for heat conduction. When the product is used on wire tightened under screw type connectors the silver particles contact both metal surfaces, which improves electrical contact and the grease makes the connection moisture resistant.  

Edited by Don Richard