8 ohm mid driver on A type crossover

tromprof

Ok, I am buying a pair of used tractrix horns that are designed for 2 inch drivers. What would be the effect of using a 2 inch 8 ohm driver instead of a 16 ohm K55 with an A type crossover. I know it will screw some things up but what and how.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

Pictures djk, we need pictures!  Your instructions infers that everybody knows exactly what you're talking about; I don't!  :unsure:

It's like if I needed to put a new piston in my V-6, and your instructions to me were "first disassemble engine..."  B)

Edited by wvu80

Dave,

Here is a picture of such a transformer. Different taps will produce different voltages related to the input voltage. Just like a transformer on the train set you had as a kid where you push the lever forward and the train goes faster. The higher taps produce more voltage, and lower ones produce less. It's a way to permanently and passivly change one of the drivers output to match the others.

s-l1000.jpg

On the schematic below, you can see such a transformer with choices of where to solder:

e2.jpg

See how the squaker and tweeter come from different taps. Look at the bottom of the schematic about impedance and attenuation...

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

In the link provided, to the right, you'll see a spec sheet that you can download. Pyle does not tell us what horn they had the driver on, but vendors typically show their products in the best positive light. Notice that at 400Hz, the driver is 10dB or more down in relationship to rest of its response. The majority of titanium loaded drivers of this type aren't very good candidates for use in the Klipschorn. You are better off with a good pair of K-55s and some adapters. Bob sells an affordable Selenium that seems to be fairly popular, you might want to look into that.

• Like 1

I am not going to steer you in any direction but I will tell you my experience. I stopped using Pyle many years ago for a wide range of reasons but have NO experience with the one you have choosen. I have used the Selenium D250X (same as Crites offers but I got from PE) and absoluely love them. They are less than half the price also. Now I put them in a pair of Speakerlab Model 6's that I originally built in 1980, so that is not quite up to par with a Klipschorn. Thats my 2 cents.

In the link provided, to the right, you'll see a spec sheet that you can download. Pyle does not tell us what horn they had the driver on, but vendors typically show their products in the best positive light. Notice that at 400Hz, the driver is 10dB or more down in relationship to rest of its response. The majority of titanium loaded drivers of this type aren't very good candidates for use in the Klipschorn. You are better off with a good pair of K-55s and some adapters. Bob sells an affordable Selenium that seems to be fairly popular, you might want to look into that.

I had not seen that link. Looks like I need to do more research. I would like a 2 inch driver that goes down to 400 HZ. Also one that sounds good and is inexpensive. Too much to ask for?

I am not going to steer you in any direction but I will tell you my experience. I stopped using Pyle many years ago for a wide range of reasons but have NO experience with the one you have choosen. I have used the Selenium D250X (same as Crites offers but I got from PE) and absoluely love them. They are less than half the price also. Now I put them in a pair of Speakerlab Model 6's that I originally built in 1980, so that is not quite up to par with a Klipschorn. Thats my 2 cents.

That is a one inch driver, I am looking for a 2 inch.

There are also 2" models available (go to PE website). I didnt want to comment on a driver I had not used, just the one that I did. Specs look good on the larger driver as well, not quite as economical but still a few bucks cheaper than the Pyle. Good luck.

What is the sensitivity of the new  (8 ohm) driver?

108 db. I am looking at the Pyle PDB952

http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pdb952-4-titanium-8-ohm-horn-bolt-on-driver--292-2604#lblProductDetails

it is 22 lbs mid driver - is this for real - 111 $ - looks like a super bargain - the diaphragm alone would cost that much on others - all the way for me -

I sure

What is the sensitivity of the new  (8 ohm) driver?

108 db. I am looking at the Pyle PDB952

http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pdb952-4-titanium-8-ohm-horn-bolt-on-driver--292-2604#lblProductDetails

it is 22 lbs mid driver - is this for real - 111 $ - looks like a super bargain - the diaphragm alone would cost that much on others - all the way for me -

I sure would like to know who makes this mid driver for Pyle - the more I read about this , the more I like it -