8 ohm mid driver on A type crossover

tromprof

I am sure they are great but also too expensive for me.

I need to keep it under $150 per driver. The Ev drivers might just fit the bill.

On that Pyle driver from earlier - I noticed late last night that there is a review on that thing. The review was from our very own Dave Harris, who tested the driver on one of his horns. The review includes a plot - and I think you should go take a look at it. At any rate, Dave gave it a thumbs up, so I think you should try a pair. You can always take them back if it doesn't work out.

On that Pyle driver from earlier - I noticed late last night that there is a review on that thing. The review was from our very own Dave Harris, who tested the driver on one of his horns. The review includes a plot - and I think you should go take a look at it. At any rate, Dave gave it a thumbs up, so I think you should try a pair. You can always take them back if it doesn't work out.

Trying to choose between the Pyle and the EV DH1A drivers. Close in price, EVs used of course and non returnable. Any thoughts on the EVs?

Edited by tromprof

I was hoping Dennis would answer this.

I believe the DHA2 is the driver that has the sterling reputation, but I have no idea what the difference is between the DHA2 and the DHA1. I also don't know anything about whether or not diaphragms are available. Sorry, vintage compression drivers ain't my thing.

"I believe the DHA2 is the driver that has the sterling reputation, but I have no idea what the difference is between the DHA2 and the DHA1"

See post #18, the DH1A smokes the DH2A.

After sifting all the opinions I have bought  a pair of EV DH1A off Ebay. $168 shipped. Fits the the cheap criteria for sure. Thanks for all who weighed in. I will post my impressions when I get them hooked up.

Dennis is right you won't find anything that will match a DH1A, capable of generating ten acoustical watts output over its band that is more than a JBL2226 fifteen inch woofer can do. The DH1A can go head to head with any SOTA pro driver available today. It is an amazing bargain, I just bought a second pair in two years (this set for me now) for $200.00 the pair plus shipping. Read Art Welter's very detailed test and comparison at the attached link for more info. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/212240-high-frequency-compression-driver-evaluation.html

Quote: "the ElectroVoice DH1A,it simply was the best sounding driver in every metric I can think of: low distortion, extended bandwidth, high output capability, and durability with prolonged unit to unit consistency."

Edited by moray james

"I believe the DHA2 is the driver that has the sterling reputation, but I have no idea what the difference is between the DHA2 and the DHA1"

After sifting all the opinions I have bought  a pair of EV DH1A off Ebay. $168 shipped. Fits the the cheap criteria for sure. Thanks for all who weighed in. I will post my impressions when I get them hooked up.

Congratulations on your choice and I look forward to your impressions.  I wanted to throw the EV DH1A drivers out there as an option if you were fine buying used from eBay; however, by the time I had logged on they were already recommended and you bought a pair.  I have a pair in my collection and I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised and it would be really difficult to beat the price when considering performance.  The main draw-back that I found was the weight but a worthwhile draw-back in my opinion.  Did you buy the pair that was for auction in Carroll, Ohio (they sold for $137.50 for the pair before shipping)?

Congratulations on your choice and I look forward to your impressions.  I wanted to throw the EV DH1A drivers out there as an option if you were fine buying used from eBay; however, by the time I had logged on they were already recommended and you bought a pair.  I have a pair in my collection and I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised and it would be really difficult to beat the price when considering performance.  The main draw-back that I found was the weight but a worthwhile draw-back in my opinion.  Did you buy the pair that was for auction in Carroll, Ohio (they sold for $137.50 for the pair before shipping)?

Yes, that is the pair I bought. They showed up today, and man are they big and heavy! Make the K55s look kind of puny. I don't have any time to hook them up till next week but I am looking forward to playing with them. Many thanks for the recommendation.

I replaced the front three K55s with EV DH1As today. The drivers are very large and heavy and require a bit of thought before moving them. The sound is very clear and open but I am getting a bit of static out of one of the drivers. Bad diaphragm or bad wiring by me, I will have to poke around a bit more tomorrow. 

Did you try removing it, cleaning the gap, and re-installing it?

Look at the coil while you have it out.

Are there any rub marks?

Are they on the inside of the former, the outside, or both?

What would I use to clean it with?

Fold masking tape into a triangle with the sticky side out. Repeat as needed. Never use compressed air.

Get back if you see any rust or lime deposits.

This sounds similar to what Bob Crites had me do when I installed new ti diaphragms in my KG4s. He advised using post it notes as I recall. Thanks for the compressed air warning.

There's got to be a video on how to do that - could have sworn I've seen it before.

I will look. Thanks

Diaphragm shot. I removed it and cleaned the gap, got a little grit out but not much. Put it back in and fired it up with the same result. Removed it again but it didn't come nicely the second time and got wrinkled. Don't know why, it sure went back together well. #@##$$%%  :angry:

I am going to order a replacement from Simply Speakers. They sell both a factory and aftermarket replacement, claim there is no difference just the box so I am going to try the aftermarket version.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/search.asp?q=dh1a&type=custom&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=GO

They could have sold me either and recommended the aftermarket version.