KPT 456 (?904 902?) (2x15") Weird hookup problem- Colter- Anyone?

Karsoncookie

Recently acquired pair of above. (Well, not in my possession yet, at friend's in another state)

Terminal box nameplate says model KPT-456-n-LF.

Serial #'s 96283004 and 96184076. Really different. Not expected to see that.

Each one has two red and black pairs  of input terminals and two fuseholders.

I assume the two sets of terminals are totally isolated from each other. ????

Top terms to upper driver, bottom terms to lower driver. ?????????????

BUT - in testing, feeding ONE pair set of terminals at a time, ONLY the upper driver ever plays.

When EITHER set of terms is fed,The upper only plays.

Bottom drivers have never yet played.

So I get the SAME end result no matter which pair of inputs I feed.

Have swapped fuses, NO change.

Same thing on BOTH cabinets.

I wanted to post and ask before I pulled a driver to see if for some reason someone fooled with the internal wiring. They came out of a theater remodel is all I was told.

Also, it would be great to get any comment of market value and age of these, because I really don't want to let them go, but may have to.  In great appearance condition other than a few scratches.  

Thank you ,  Lars

Here's a generic photo of what it is --- I just have the LF bottom , no HF tops --

KPT_904_-_Angled_635284123604655000.jpg

Remove one of the drivers and see if it is disconnected. I have those bins 904, and they have a separate set of terminals to each woofer. That way you can wire in 4 ohm or 16 ohm configuration, or bi-amp. PS: I have pulled every driver out of mine and put new speaker gasket foam between the frame of them and the motorboard baffle. I also pained them with Duratex while I had the drivers out. Turned out great.

mine:

904-01.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Mustang - I will go in if I don't get info otherwise. Just hesitating to do so.

Am I correct to assume each set of terms is isolated from each other, and one pair feeds one driver, and the other pair feeds other(if factory original)??    Lars

The screws are machine screws and kinda long. If you have an electric screwdriver it makes it go a lot faster.  Post a picture or two of the wiring. I bet a terminal is off or some such thing.   :)

PS: The drivers are very heavy. A lot bigger than K-33's in LaScalas, so be careful wollering them around.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Tee nuts? need to beware they make break free?

Wow  weird. Really sounds like I'll find re wiring inside.

Why in the world would someone have done that??

I can't imagine any logical answer.

Will wait a few days for any other responses, then go in.

Thank you Mustang.   Lars

hmm, I had a three pack of those I took to a local theater they worked fine never inside them. Have another three on the way for here from Bill Hendrix but not for another month.  WIll be talking to Trey this weekend will check with him. 

N has integral networks so on the mounting terminals there should be marked outputs for the HF cabinet, have you isolated them ok? 

Many times (like on the KP600), there was individual inputs for each driver for testing - very handy in the pro environment. So that may be the case as well as the ability to wire 4 or 16 ohms. 

Perhaps someone unhooked woofers in yours, very odd situation I'll agree there. They are in the same enclosure, so one dead driver would change the acoustic parameters of the cabinet to the operational driver. IOW I'd not leave them like that. While into it, check drivers for continuity. Perhaps someone disconnected the internal networks, who knows? 

Carl is right. Lay the cabinet on it's back. The driver magnets are really big. And yes, T-Nuts, but not to worry. They should be glued in. On all the Klipsch stuff I have ever worked on, they are very secure.

I bet somehow the terminal spades came off. I have seen loose ones, and if somebody removed the driver and put it back in, they might have caused one of the spades to disconnect. He might even have put the top wire on the bottom driver, which is long enough, but not by very much. If those are swapped, I can see this happening.

Edited by mustang guy

Lars,

You asked about price? I recently purchased an excellent pair of KP-450s with their top hats for $500 plus shipping and very shortly there after, another pair of the same popped up on here for the same $500 price tag. So unless you fix the problem, and even then, they are not worth much more than any working drivers you have. With my KP-450s, they have the internal crossover and the bottom set of terminals is for power in and the top set of terminals is for the output to the high frequency box. I hope you did not run a bunch of power into the top set.

There was also just recently four of the 904 bass bins listed here for $350 for all four or $175 for two, so less than what the drivers would be worth to someone who needed them.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Lars,

You asked about price? I recently purchased an excellent pair of KP-450s with their top hats for $500 plus shipping and very shortly there after, another pair of the same popped up on here for the same $500 price tag. So unless you fix the problem, and even then, they are not worth much more than any working drivers you have. With my KP-450s, they have the internal crossover and the bottom set of terminals is for power in and the top set of terminals is for the output to the high frequency box. I hope you did not run a bunch of power into the top set.

There was also just recently four of the 904 bass bins listed here for $350 for all four or $175 for two, so less than what the drivers would be worth to someone who needed them.

Roger

Roger,

Where are those 904's? Did they sell? 

Lars,

Roger

Roger,

Where are those 904's? Did they sell?

Mustang Guy,

They were just recently in the Garage sale or Alert section. Less than 3 weeks I think, and no they had not sold last I knew!

Roger

Cannot post the particular photos I have, somekinda different file.

Each one has two red and black pairs of input terminals and two fuseholders.

Each pair are red/ blk binding post/ banana jacks. Each pair has a push and turn fuseholder.

One pair marked "1", the other marked "2"

So frustrating, they are at buddy,s house 1000 miles away, and even though I'd trust him with my life, not so much with a screwdriver next to a woofer.

Just hesitating to have him go in.  Lars

It is NOTHING like the below photo, which I understand was refered to by an above few posts.

-KPT-904-LF-N Terminal Connections ...jpg

Cannot post the particular photos I have, somekinda different file.

Each one has two red and black pairs of input terminals and two fuseholders.

Each pair are red/ blk binding post/ banana jacks. Each pair has a push and turn fuseholder.

One pair marked "1", the other marked "2"

So frustrating, they are at buddy,s house 1000 miles away, and even though I'd trust him with my life, not so much with a screwdriver next to a woofer.

Just hesitating to have him go in.  Lars

I know what you mean. Is there a reason you can't just wait till you are with the speakers to do it?