KPT 456 (?904 902?) (2x15") Weird hookup problem- Colter- Anyone?

Karsoncookie

Really would like to know if the drivers all work before I go through the pack pay ship then drive 150 miles still to pickup.

We live 150 miles from Forward Air terminal.

Each driver is wired directly to term block. No xovers or anything inside.

Got a photo of term block inside. Jumpers parralleling speaker input terms.. seems weird, will try to paste photo tommorrow  goodnight all. Lars

Too late to understand seems weird jumpering tonight. Should be isolated ckts to two seperate drivers.

The jumpers which are inside the terminal block should be on the outside, IMO. Here is how mine are jumped for single speaker wire input. Sorry I don't have any other pictures of that side of the 904.

01AB3DE8-9F1B-4BE8-801D-53C9CDEF6FBB.jpg

I would still have him remove the bottom driver that isn't working. Either the driver is dead, or the wire going from the cup to the driver leads is disconnected.

Really would like to know if the drivers all work before I go through the pack pay ship then drive 150 miles still to pickup.

If your friend has a DVOM, have him disconnect the wires from each driver, put one lead from the meter on either terminal (doesn't matter which) switch the meter to read Ohms and see what they read.  if any of them show open they're bad.

• Like 1

It's simple now that I look at the photos with a fresh mind.

Somebody at sometime paralleled the inputs on the inside of the term box.

Why anyone would take the time to "go in" to do that, rather than externally, makes no sense to me.

Based on what I know now, I must have both bottom drivers dead.

Will have him do final testing tonight.

If they are open, I will have him ID the drivers then ask here about practicality of getting the coils replaced.

Visually, drivers are perfect.

I could have figured this out in a heartbeat if it was in front of me.  Lars

I agree with Cinema head. You still do not know if the wire is connected to the bottom driver well. You have no choice but to have him unscrew those phillips head screws and take that driver out. Honestly, it's not hard to do at all. Please don't be nervous about it.

A 9V battery test will tell you quickly if you have a dud.

If someone messed with the wiring inside, I bet they goofed something up. I am about ready to lay down some money that the wire going to the bottom is too short, and it is why it is not connected on both terminals.  :)

Upon getting any/all speakers, the FIRST thing i do in the Shop/Cave is take a few things apart to inspect.

1. make sure wiring is where is it supposed to be. Do and Ohm check wile in there :emotion-21:

2. Critters!  you never know where they have been  :ohmy: 

You could ask him to put his nose close to the drivers and check for a burned electrical smell.  If they were over powered, the voice coils will show open on the DVOM and most likely still have a little smell to them.  The smell takes forever to go away ( or so I've heard :rolleyes: )

• Like 1

Major drama here. My Daughter put a VOM on the drivers, has never really used it before, great learning experience.

Unbeliavable ridiculous trying to guide a neophyte over the phone.

But the apparent good news is all 4 drivers are good, + - a couple % ohms. around 8 or 9 ohm ballpark

She has some kinda harbor freight vom that she says does not have a zeroing adjustment.

Has a "null" closed leads reading of like 2.3.  So we deduct that from the readings. All 4 driver  reads are in the mid  10 range.

My phone died, will be calling her back later tonight to re confirm.

I definately know what I'm doing here, VOM usage 101, the problem is relating to a person over the phone like a deer in headlights. 
Lars

Done deal.

All 4 drivers individually work the same as a few upper posts suspected.

End of story. That's all that matters. Just some weird rewiring at the term block caused confusion. 

Thank you alllll  for responses, again, a verrrry frustrating issue of not having it in front of me.   Lars