Let's See Your Bicycle

Tarheel

This is my little 24 speed,  StumpJumper.

Weird, blast from the past, I still have about that same bike except mine was the hard rock, a couple steps down which came with the rigid fork. I upgraded to a fork that looks simiilar to yours. The other components look nearly identical. I got it as a Christmas gift from my parents 20 years ago. Nowadays I use it as a road bike, swapped back to the rigid fork and I have slick but fat tires on it. I can keep up with road bikes that aren't exactly killing it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

This is my little 24 speed,  StumpJumper.

Weird, blast from the past, I still have about that same bike except mine was the hard rock, a couple steps down which came with the rigid fork. I upgraded to a fork that looks simiilar to yours. The other components look nearly identical. I got it as a Christmas gift from my parents 20 years ago. Nowadays I use it as a road bike, swapped back to the rigid fork and I have slick but fat tires on it. I can keep up with road bikes that aren't exactly killing it.

I got that off of Craigslist a few years ago after my Rockhopper got stolen. It was supposed to be a stopgap until I had some real time to explore whats out there, but it has done the job and I have just kept it.  I don't know how old it actually is. I would like to see pic with your fat tires, sounds interesting.

Edited by shiva

It does have two wheels and handlebars...

Bet that's a bear to peddle GP :)

Seen a guy pedaling a Harley once.  Everything but the motor.  Figured he may have lost his license and couldn't give up his Bike. 

:huh:

5ae903a6de120_299423_408325085889070_258666525_n(1).JPG.676448da812a873387d43e96d315c8d8.JPG

I still ride this 42 year-old Legnano, but not as often as I'd like.  It has Campy components and a Reynolds 531 frame.  It's mostly original, but the selections of sew-ups grows thinner all the time.

I bought it new in 1974 for $425.  I wanted a Schwinn Paramount, but Nixon's wage and price freeze forced Schwinn to sell handmade Paramounts for $375, so they stopped selling them.  This was similarly equipped, so I bought it.

In the day, I rode a lot with a friend who paid ~$200 for a nice bike with Shimano components.  He would ask me how my bike could possibly be twice as nice as his bike, until I let him ride it.  After that, he always wanted to trade bikes while on long rides.

On the spur of the moment, on a Mackinac Island ferry, I handed the keys to my 442 to a friend, told him to drive back to East Lansing and decided to ride home on the Legnano.  After spending the night on a friend's 32' sloop on the island, 2 days later I pulled into East Lansing.  More than 100 miles/day and no flats.  The motel owner at the half-way stop was leery about renting a room to someone on a bike.

I used to tell myself, I'd sell my stereo before I got rid of the Legnano.  I went through a multitude of audio gear, but always kept the Legnano.

post-6832-0-34380000-1453469965_thumb.jp

I still ride this 42 year-old Legnano, but not as often as I'd like.  It has Campy components and a Reynolds 531 frame.  It's mostly original, but the selections of sew-ups grows thinner all the time.

I bought it new in 1974 for $425.  I wanted a Schwinn Paramount, but Nixon's wage and price freeze forced Schwinn to sell handmade Paramounts for $375, so they stopped selling them.  This was similarly equipped, so I bought it.

In the day, I rode a lot with a friend who paid ~$200 for a nice bike with Shimano components.  He would ask me how my bike could possibly be twice as nice as his bike, until I let him ride it.  After that, he always wanted to trade bikes while on long rides.

On the spur of the moment, on a Mackinac Island ferry, I handed the keys to my 442 to a friend, told him to drive back to East Lansing and decided to ride home on the Legnano.  After spending the night on a friend's 32' sloop on the island, 2 days later I pulled into East Lansing.  More than 100 miles/day and no flats.  The motel owner at the half-way stop was leery about renting a room to someone on a bike.

I used to tell myself, I'd sell my stereo before I got rid of the Legano.  I went through a multitude of audio gear, but always kept the Legnano.

Nice bike and story.  Having grown up in Michigan myself, my family and I had gone to Mackinac Island many times. Still remember the homemade

fudge, horse drawn carriages and people driving in electric cars over there.

• Like 1

It's not a bicycle, but this circa 1965 photo shows a unicycle pedaled by yours truly with a juggling Bob on my shoulders.  How about those Madras shorts and loafers?

Bob was coming home from the grocery store on the unicycle with two bags of groceries when a newspaper (Google it) photographer asked to take his picture.   Bob told him he ain't seen nothin' and called me to complete the act.  It was literally the first day we'd mastered the trick.  It helped that Bob could ride the unicycle, as he had the balance and didn't squirm.  Others were more problematic passengers.

We both dreaded going to school the day after the photo appeared on the front page of The Grand Haven Daily Tribune.  Not much hard news in the small town of Grand Haven, just ask BigStewMan.

post-6832-0-56700000-1453509937_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Last road bike, a one-off custom built Suck Creek Cycle with Chorus and a Brooks Ti saddle (they don't make better saddles).  

Sig has link to another sort of bike.  :D

post-43-0-15620000-1453520285_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Albright

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153377364578061&set=a.10151905218848061.1073741825.731993060&type=3 Not sure if this pic will work. Well seems it did this is 2 grand kids in same trailer I use to pull their dads around in. You pull 2 kids around you get in shape pretty fast. Edited by ricktate
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

Probably a long shot but I'm needing to thin my heard of bicycles. I know there are a few serious cyclists here and you are old farts that would appreciate a 7-Eleven steel frame from back in the day.

If nothing else it is a beauty to gaze at and think about the old days of steel.

For Sale: 56 CM Eddie Merckx Corsa Extra

spacer.png