Tomorrow is set up day for new system

stygz

This afternoon I will get my last shipments in. My system will not be huge but will be a giant leap from my Boston acoustics powered sound bar!

Tomorrow I will set up a Denon avr 2100x, Klipsch rf 42ii"s, rc 42 ii, and a svs pb1000. It will only be a 3.1 system for now as we may be moving in a year so I decided to hold off and get in ceiling speakers for surrounds later. This will be connected to my 60" sharp that is already hanging on the wall and an older Sony blueray player. It has been almost five years since I last had a decent set up. I cannot wait!

Edited by stygz
  • Like 5

Just unpacked the PB1000. It reminds me of unpacking a tube style tv from back in the day! Nicely packaged and a very nice finish on the speaker box. My crimp on banana plugs also just got dropped off.

Edited by stygz

Got the system installed today. I had some issues with the Denon. There is a weird problem with the Blue Ray HDMI input. I called Crutchfield and we tried some things, long story short I can still use it while the replacement is on the way. Everything else went well. Speaker wires were measured at 7ft each for L and R. The center was cut at 4 ft. I installed Monster cable crimp on banana plugs for a nice polished looking connection. Those really fit in tight!. Sound is pretty good. Some notes on audessey: both front speakers came out to about 11.5ft each and similar from the center. The Sub was measured at  about 31 ft. It is not that far away but I am using the SVS / Dayton wireless module. The sub is in the along the wall with the back about 2' from the wall...ok? The RF42's are slightly angled at about 6" from the wall. I am slightly underwhelmed with the sound. Could it be the distance from the wall? I am temped to order a set of RF 62's from Crutchfield....thoughts (+$200)? Would my Denon AVR-X2100W have enough to power them? Maybe it the 42's just need some break in time? Going to need to mess with some settings for video but will do more with that when replacement receiver comes in. The SVS sound good so far but have only listened to some Pink Floyd and Santana so far. No movies as of yet. Also while setting up audyssey I did not put the mic behind me like it showed on the screen. I put it in front of the couch. I no not have surrounds at this time it is just a 3.1 set up. SVS volume is set at 1/2, crossover all the way up. The receiver has all speakers set to small with the crossover at 80hz. Most of the settings as far as volume were all cut back about 6 db. I may bump the volume on the sub a couple notches on the receiver. I hear it is best to leave the volume on the sub itself at about 1/2 and use the receiver to raise it.  Here are a couple pics. Thoughts welcome.

post-53857-0-78580000-1426988182.png

post-53857-0-88980000-1426988195.png

post-53857-0-65540000-1426988205.png

Edited by stygz

Ill give you an honest opinion. 200$ extra for 62's is a no brainer to me. WAY BETTER speakers for little more money. HOWEVER, I would not do it unless you were gonna get matching rc-62 also. All three would be a big upgrade. However I owned the rf-42 home theater a couple different times. I was never underwhelmed. They aren't as good. But I keep size and price in mind. I know a speakers limits. And the rf-42 will do a lot more than what you'd expect from such a tiny "tower" speaker.

And yes the denon you have will easily run a rf-62ii home theater.

• Like 1

Scrappy,

Good to know. Yes I would order the matching center. I will put some time on them tomorrow. When I say underwhelmed that would them standing alone without a subwoofer. What about my 6' distance from the wall. Too close or far away? Maybe it is my room size of 15x19 w/12' ceilings?

Thoughts on my set up? I thought it strange looking at my audyssey setting seemed to set most my speakers - 6db. I guess the subwoofer @31 ft is because of the wireless?

Edited by stygz

I am going today to verify my HDMI cables are "high speed" type. From what I understand this is what is needed to get 1080p. I also think I will need a toslink to get the sound that is on my tv to play through the receiver. I cannot seem to get ARC to work. Not sure if there is a button to push on the Denon to get it to play.

I did place an order for the RF 62's yesterday. I will demo them on Wednesday. Return shipping is only $10 to send back the 42's or 62's. I will sort the center channel after I finalize the floor standing ones.

I watched my first movie last night (MI). Wow! what an amazing set up! Cant wait for surround speakers. The sub was fantastic also

Got the system installed today. I had some issues with the Denon. There is a weird problem with the Blue Ray HDMI input.

You didn't say if this was a physical problem, or a hand shaking problem syncing the video.  Some devices Blu-ray devices don't hand shake well with every AVR, try turning off Deep Color (in either the BD or the AVR if this is the case).  This fixed my Sony BD which had a known problem with that, as I turned the Deep Color off in the Sony.

Some notes on audessey: both front speakers came out to about 11.5ft each and similar from the center. The Sub was measured at  about 31 ft. It is not that far away but I am using the SVS / Dayton wireless module.

I have Audyssey in my Onkyo 717.  I am physically 13 feet away from the L/R and sub, and Audyssey sets my sub at about 31 feet.  This is normal, because it is not really measuring distance, but time.  This is the time alignment which takes into account the characteristics of the entire room, sound bouncing off the walls, that sort of thing.  You can change that setting manually if you want, a lot of people do.

The sub is in the along the wall with the back about 2' from the wall...ok?

That sounds about right.  If it sounds OK, then leave it there.  If not, move it around a bit (some even fire them into a back wall) and see how it sounds to your ears.  The only thing other than nulls that would make me move a sub is if you get that 'one-note' boominess.

I am temped to order a set of RF 62's from Crutchfield....thoughts (+$200)? 

I saw further downstream you already ordered them.  Good call, that will be $200 well spent.  I like that 6.5 to 7" mid-woofer especially for male voices, and dialog.

Also while setting up audyssey I did not put the mic behind me like it showed on the screen. I put it in front of the couch. I do not have surrounds at this time it is just a 3.1 set up. SVS volume is set at 1/2, crossover all the way up.

That 3.1 setup will sound 90% as good as a 5.1 setup, IMO, others may (will!) disagree.  Some movies sound pretty cool with the surrounds, especially if you like gunshots and explosions, but you won't miss what you never heard.

The receiver has all speakers set to small with the crossover at 80hz. 

That 80hz XO point can be fiddled with depending on the speakers used, but most people come back to about that 80 mark using a sub.  The rule of thumb is take the lowest rating of your speakers and add 10, so if your L/R go to 50hz, the sub would be set to 60hz.  The differences will be subtle, and 80hz is a fairly solid setting.

Most of the settings as far as volume were all cut back about 6 db. I may bump the volume on the sub a couple notches on the receiver.

This was always the most puzzling setting for me to understand using my Audyssey setup, because I thought I wasn't getting all the sound the speakers had to offer.  The explanation is that Audyssey makes those settings relative to reference level, and your Klipsch speakers are highly efficient.  If you had smaller low sensitivity speakers, they might need a +6 boost to achieve reference level.  When my Onk hits reference level which is 82, to balance all speakers Audyssey sets my L/R at -6, while my smaller mismatched surrounds are boosted +2.

You can boost that volume a couple of notches if you want, it won't hurt anything.  Just know that when movies which are supposed to play at reference level hit that mark as set on your AVR, the sound will be "hot."

I upgraded from TV speakers to a nice modern AVR a couple of years ago.  The amount of features and the Audyssey settings were overwhelming to me.  It took months of experimentation and listening to figure out how all the Audssey settings, EQ, distance things works.  It took at least a year before I finally quit tweaking the settings, and I came back to 90% of where Audyssey put me to begin with. 

Everybody is giving good suggestions, but the best suggestion would be for you to set things where it sounds best to your ears, with your equipment in your living room.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

I actually had a faulty blu ray hdmi input. I would loose all video and sound. I tried a different hdmi cable and would get the same problem. I plug in directv in that same input and get no problem. Very weird! Crutchfield has a new one on the way. I just hooked the blu Ray in the Dvd input for the time being and all is well.

Edited by stygz

Just checked my hdmi cables. All except 1 is high speed. I will upgrade that to another Amazon high speed hdmi. It seems like my picture is better running through the denon also.

Most people just use the monitor out HDMI on their AVR anyway. It's the only input any of my TV's or projectors have going into them, a single HDMI into the AVR's monitor out.

AVR HDMI out (Monitor) ----> TV HDMI Input.

Edited by mustang guy

Just checked my hdmi cables. All except 1 is high speed. I will upgrade that to another Amazon high speed hdmi. It seems like my picture is better running through the denon also.

Most people just use the monitor out HDMI on their AVR anyway. It's the only input any of my TV's or projectors have going into them, a single HDMI into the AVR's monitor out.

AVR HDMI out (Monitor) ----> TV HDMI Input.

I did just what you said. I was not getting any sound at all. I have one HDMI (monitor 1 out) hooked up to my HDMI / ARC input on my tv. I also have two HDMI's from the Blu-Ray and Directv to the AVR.

Anyway, I got my manuals out last night and it was a setting in the TV menu I overlooked. The TV menus/settings are a pain to set up. I got it fixed and now get Netflix (TV sound) through the AVR.

The replacement AVR will be in today as will the RF62's. I will rerun the Audyssey with the 42's and listen. I adjusted the xover to 80hz while Audyssey suggested 100hz. When trying to listen to the RF42 vs 62's without the aid of a sub do I just set the AVR (Denon 2100) to direct mode? I believe I have direct and pure direct mode.

Can someone explain MultiEQxt? I see settings such as Flat and Reference in the AVR menu.