Projector or LED TV - your thoughts?

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I have to buy a new television for the new house - oh darn!  The room I am setting up to be the theater room is actually a loft with 12 x16 dimensions, with one smallish window on one of the long walls, two smaller and up high windows on the opposite long wall, and one very large window centered on the short wall, which is also the front of the house. All of them will have 2” wooden draw-blinds in them. The other end of the room is open – the photo is of the actual room. 

Now, I’m not a theater room junkie. I like to watch movies but it isn’t my live-and-die-for activity. Just keep that in mind.

I've been investigating LED TVs lately in the 70" size.  The pictures look amazing and while I am sure it would fit the bill just fine, I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider projection TV?

If I went with a LED TV I was thinking I could wall-mount it to the long wall between the two smaller up-high windows that you can see in the picture, but that's about it. I wouldn’t want it on the opposite wall because the window on that wall is offset and it wouldn’t fit my idea of symmetry – that and I wouldn’t have a convenient spot to put the LF speaker without it being in the way of entering the room. And I don’t want to block the big windows that face the front of the house, so it can’t go there either.

If I went with the projection TV I could mount the screen between the two small windows also, or I could mount the screen above the very large windows at the front of the house and keep it rolled up so I still have the window view, and bring  it come down during showings to effectively block any light coming from it - IF the screens are designed to keep light from coming through behind them. If not, I’d have to devise something. This configuration also allows me further viewing distance away from the screen, which if I went the projector route, I would want to be upwards of 120", and could be sitting about 16’ away. It also effectively eliminates light coming in from the largest windows in the room.  If I put that 120” on the long wall between the two small windows, I’m only about 12’ away.

I’ve done just a little bit of research this very morning about projection TVs and that’s it. Otherwise I know almost nothing about them. I have seen them setup in Best Buy, but I have not paid any attention to them.  I know all I need to know about LED TV’s so don’t waste your breath on giving me any advice about those.

What I’d like to hear from all of you that have projectors is what you like about them and what you don’t like about them. And if you think I’ve got a pretty good plan for one or if it wouldn’t work in that room and why.

My budget is $3,000 for screen and projector.

Here is what I’ve got on my buy list for now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGWH0AY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1SHCUKKQ5OIE1&coliid=IM6ECEPIVS1EB&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F144HYA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1SHCUKKQ5OIE1&coliid=I16668J5FBZBOR&psc=1

I’m also interested in what you guys might think about those units.

post-58311-0-81660000-1426876496_thumb.j

Edited by Steven1963

What I’d like to hear from all of you that have projectors is what you like about them and what you don’t like about them.

I'd have a real hard time going back to a TV myself.  

What I like about them in general...

1. size of course, much harder to get lost in a movie with a TV, plus if you get a big sounding audio system it just sounds awkward with a dinky TV.  

2. Details come to life, you notice stuff much more than with a TV.  You'll know if your favorite actor has a blackhead problem on his nose for example.  Intricate emotions are more obvious.  

3. Any screen looks much more badass sitting on the wall than a tv.  No matter what size it is, the TV crowd will come in and be like "you have a movie theater??!!?"  

What I don't like about them...

1. Unless you spend a bunch and have a dark room you may have "less than perfect" black levels.  To get great blacks it takes some effort and money.  I like mine but I have seen some setups where the best black you can hope for is a dark gray.  I like my blacks to look like you spilled ink on the screen and am even critical of mine sometimes.  Ambient light in the room can ruin it.  

2. There is quite the learning curve.  You need to be a tinkerer.  There are lots of settings that you'll find the need or at least the desire to play with, it's not totally mindless, can't exactly take it out of the box and it is seemingly perfect like a TV.

3. Some movies really get on my nerves with dark scenes that are just non-stop earth tones, dark shadowy browns and whatnot. I can't seem to find a setting where this kind of material is always totally pleasant.

4. I don't like 16:9 aspect ratio anymore. Works great on a TV but on a projector I feel that it is either too tall if I display it at the same width as 2.35:1, or it is too narrow if I display it at the same neight. 16:9 movies have become a big pet peeve of mine after getting a projector. 2.35:1 is much more pleasant.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 3

What I’d like to hear from all of you that have projectors is what you like about them and what you don’t like about them.

I'd have a real hard time going back to a TV myself.

What I like about them in general...

1. size of course, much harder to get lost in a movie with a TV, plus if you get a big sounding audio system it just sounds awkward with a dinky TV.

2. Details come to life, you notice stuff much more than with a TV. You'll know if your favorite actor has a blackhead problem on his nose for example. Intricate emotions are more obvious.

3. Any screen looks much more badass sitting on the wall than a tv. No matter what size it is, the TV crowd will come in and be like "you have a movie theater??!!?"

What I don't like about them...

1. Unless you spend a bunch and have a dark room you may have "less than perfect" black levels. To get great blacks it takes some effort and money. I like mine but I have seen some setups where the best black you can hope for is a dark gray. I like my blacks to look like you spilled ink on the screen and am even critical of mine sometimes. Ambient light in the room can ruin it.

2. There is quite the learning curve. You need to be a tinkerer. There are lots of settings that you'll find the need or at least the desire to play with, it's not totally mindless, can't exactly take it out of the box and it is seemingly perfect like a TV.

3. Some movies really get on my nerves with dark scenes that are just non-stop earth tones, dark shadowy browns and whatnot. I can't seem to find a setting where this kind of material is always totally pleasant.

4. I don't like 16:9 aspect ratio anymore. Works great on a TV but on a projector I feel that it is either too tall if I display it at the same width as 2.35:1, or it is too narrow if I display it at the same neight. 16:9 movies have become a big pet peeve of mine after getting a projector. 2.35:1 is much more pleasant.

i feel the exact same. I Hate 16x9 content now. Can't tell you how many movies i have three in recently downstairs and I immediately take them out and watch something else or watch upstairs on the tv Edited by Scrappydue

It's not a masking issue for me. It's a I hate 16x9 content. Lol. It's so skinny

I agree... I have been trying to figure out how to have my internet browsing be at 2.35 too, because I want to be able to utilize the full screen.

Anything over about 80" or so is not nearly as economical with a TV. How large you want your screen is the real question. I see 80" for around $3k and 75" at around $2.3k  65" have hit the $1k mark. 

I don't have much personal experience with a projector, but my Brother had one, and to watch it, we always had to darken the room and stuff. He had to replace the lamp a couple of times as well. In that size room, I would probably go with a TV, but that is just me. 

http://www.hhgregg.com/sharp-80-full-hd-1080p-120hz-aquos-led-smart-tv/item/LC80LE650U

Bryant

there are a lot less hasstles with a TV - once it is installed - and less lighting issues than a projector -

-projectors  need ceiling brackets - there is a cool down and heating process - you need to add a battery to the outlet in case the power fails as that can burn a bulb  -

-the advantage of the projector is the bigger size - but you have to have very low lighting -

there are a lot less hasstles with a TV - once it is installed - and less lighting issues than a projector -

-projectors need ceiling brackets - there is a cool down and heating process - you need to add a battery to the outlet in case the power fails as that can burn a bulb -

-the advantage of the projector is the bigger size - but you have to have very low lighting -

10 years ago maybe. New projectors are easily watchabe with lights on. I have football games on Sunday's and when people are eating downstairs I leave lights on and windows all open and game is easily watchable
  • Like 2

10 years ago maybe. New projectors are easily watchabe with lights on. I have football games on Sunday's and when people are eating downstairs I leave lights on and windows all open and game is easily watchable

I can't do that, at least unless I want my black levels to suck and everything to look washed out. I can watch stuff but it doesn't exactly look all that great. All it takes is one tiny blinking LED from a laptop or something like my PS4 remote being aimed in the general direction and I can see the screen light up and the black levels suffer. I won't even turn mine on until it is dark outside as I don't have curtains yet.

For colors and whites yeah you can just blaze out a light cannon like an office projector and it is plenty viewable, but blacks never will be right. Ideally, your scenario is what gray screens are for. Those used to be needed all the time but nowadays its only if you have a bunch of ambient light. Get a light cannon and fire it at a gray screen and its supposed to look great with ambient light.

I don't think its the overall quality of the projector that makes or breaks this. You can get a cheap portable but high powered office projector and watch stuff just fine with ambient light. Mine is a high end JVC and I don't like it at all with ambient light. Go figure.

Speaking of Blacks, if you do go the TV route is is best to have an LED or Florescent light hanging on the back and illuminating the wall behind the TV. This will make the blacks more pronounced on your TV and it will greatly help reduce eye strain because your pupils wont have to constantly expand and contract throughout the movie.

Here is some more info on the subject:

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htmhttp://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm

I'm happy with the picture I get from my delivered to my door for $720 Optoma HD131xe projector. I actually have it set on economy because regular is too bright. It shuts down really fast. and I have it set to roughly 130" and It sits about 20' back from the front wall.

I missed something huge on the "what I like list"... animated movies are insane on a projector, especially in 3D. You get some of the new animated 3D movies in 2.35 aspect ratio and I don't care what kind of TV you've got, it's not going to be able to hang. Some of the better ones:

The Book of Life

Rio 2

The Lego Movie

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Turbo

Epic

Tangled (16:9 but 3D is still amazing)

Big Hero 6 (3D not available yet even from overseas but 2D is still real nice)

Cars 2

These movies are pretty jaw dropping on a projector especially in 3D.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with a projector instead of an LED TV. Mostly because I've never owned one and want to go in a different direction.  I'm probably going to get the Epson 5030ub and just have it projecting on the wall.  This will allow me to determine what screen size I would feel most comfortable with before taking that plunge. Once I figure that out, I'll probably build my own screen.  Saw this and really liked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxd7apF7NOk

I know I won't get screen material of that high of quality, but good enough to satisfy me. a wood frame and some LED rope lights and I've got a similar setup for about $4,200 less.

• Like 2