Projector or LED TV - your thoughts?

Guest Steven1963

I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with a projector instead of an LED TV. Mostly because I've never owned one and want to go in a different direction.  I'm probably going to get the Epson 5030ub and just have it projecting on the wall.  This will allow me to determine what screen size I would feel most comfortable with before taking that plunge. Once I figure that out, I'll probably build my own screen.  Saw this and really liked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxd7apF7NOk

I know I won't get screen material of that high of quality, but good enough to satisfy me. a wood frame and some LED rope lights and I've got a similar setup for about $4,200 less.

I have the 6030ub which is basically the same model with a few extras and in black. It's a great projector for a room that isn't completely light controlled. Have you considered doing a tv and a projector? Best of both worlds having a drop down screen for night and TV by day.

here's a lot of info on the 5030ub if you do go that route.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1490301-official-epson-eh-tw-9200-5030ub-owners-thread.html

Guest Steven1963

Thanks for the link. I've done a lot of research on the Epson 5030ub and I think it'll be the perfect fit for my room.  I don't have the budget for both a TV and a projector in the same room.  It would definitely require a drop down screen and I'm trying to avoid anymore costs than necessary, not to mention another TV. That's why I'm thinking about building my own screen.

• Like 1

I blast mine onto a wall painted with flat white celing paint.

I will admit I had to photoshop this picture because you can either use the flash and get a good shot of the speakers or you can not use the flash and get a good shot of the picture.

post-57173-0-19120000-1427513655_thumb.j

Edited by cradeldorf

I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with a projector instead of an LED TV. Mostly because I've never owned one and want to go in a different direction.  I'm probably going to get the Epson 5030ub and just have it projecting on the wall.  This will allow me to determine what screen size I would feel most comfortable with before taking that plunge. Once I figure that out, I'll probably build my own screen.  Saw this and really liked it:

I know I won't get screen material of that high of quality, but good enough to satisfy me. a wood frame and some LED rope lights and I've got a similar setup for about $4,200 less.

Semour will sell you fabric (the same fabric as in their ready-made screens) for your frame, cut it to size, and coach you.  I think it would be less than $2,500 for a 2.35:1 about 130" wide, and they have great image quality.

• Like 1

there are a lot less hasstles with a TV - once it is installed - and less lighting issues than a projector -

-projectors  need ceiling brackets - there is a cool down and heating process - you need to add a battery to the outlet in case the power fails as that can burn a bulb  -

-the advantage of the projector is the bigger size - but you have to have very low lighting -

Ours is bolted to a high shelf ~~~ 24 feet from the screen.  There are no shelves above it, so ventilation is good.  It's very bright and sharp.  The warm up is about as long as it takes to get my other equipment set properly for movies -- shorter than the previews, by far.  The cool down only takes a few minutes.  The fan is very quiet.  We do turn off all of the room lights, but, with a big screen the light from the screen itself lights up the room enough to make it safe to move around the room, if necessary, except for when the screen goes black.  We are prepared for that because we take a flashlight to the seats with us.  The projector is plugged into a UPS which protects it if the power fails, but the sound system is not plugged into it, so if the sound suddenly goes off we know the power has failed, so we turn off the projector bulb, and the UPS runs the fan for more than enough time for the projector to cool.

As others have said, there is nothing like a 2.35 image on a big, big screen.  Watching something like Lawrence of Arabia on a screen that size is, well, epic! 

Semour will sell you fabric (the same fabric as in their ready-made screens) for your frame, cut it to size, and coach you.  I think it would be less than $2,500 for a 2.35:1 about 130" wide, and they have great image quality.

The material for my 15' wide 2.35 screen was only a few hundred with grommets.