Under $20K basic 2-ch audio system

John Warren

My dentist asked me what I'd buy if I was to spend $20,000 on a basic 2-ch setup that includes CD and FM radio sources:

My suggestion:

Amplifier-Preamp: McIntosh MA6600  $6500

• Autoformer outputs allows to use any speakers he decides to "upgrade" to in the future.
  • Plenty of power
  • Great re-sale if he decided it's not for him.
  • Remote Control
  • Super, super quiet
  • Optional AM/FM tuner module (turns the MA6600 into a receiver): $1000

Speakers:  B&W Diamond 804  $7500/pr.

• Sound great in both near and far-field
  • Solid bass extension
  • Small footprint
  • WAF very high (and they like the sound too)

CD Player: Pioneer PD-D6MK2-K $700

• 192 kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown D-A converters
  • extremely low jitter
  • High frequency extension is amazing
  • Massive amount of technology for the price (only folks like Pioneer can do this)

Total $16,700.

How did I do?

post-864-0-99120000-1427035170_thumb.jpg

post-864-0-43360000-1427035382_thumb.jpg

post-864-0-34920000-1427036010_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I heard some of the larger b&w speakers at are local hifi spot with my wife with large dual mac mono's and a mac cd player, the system was about 75k. I popped in take five.... My wife and I couldn't believe our ears, it was lifeless and sounded colored. Maybe it was the room?

• Like 1

A walnut Cornwall III comes to mind ($4,000 MSRP and so-so WAF).  New K-Horns also come to mind, if he has a room that they will work in ($9,000 MSRP and high WAF). With either of these speakers, you could save money by picking a smaller Mac integrated. 

Both are old-school like the McIntosh you picked out, and best of all, designed by PWK.  :)

I like all of your comments. If someone asked me the same I would say, "Lets spend a day or two, and go to some local shops and listen to gear together and talk about gear". If he is serious about spending that kind of money he really needs to listen. That's my feeling because I really like interacting and talking with people.

Bob

• Like 1

Khorns, Cornwalls or RF7-IIs depending on wife factor 

VRD's

NBS Preamplifier if at some point he might use Vinyl

Decent CD player as a transport

Decent quality DAC with extra line level inputs and remote control

Countless reasonably good tuners...

Would easily be less then 20K and sound like 50K or better of course my opinion might be a bit slanted!

Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 3

Khorns, Cornwalls or RF7-IIs depending on wife factor 

VRD's

NBS Preamplifier if at some point he might use Vinyl

Decent CD player as a transport

Decent quality DAC with extra line level inputs and remote control

Countless reasonably good tuners...

Would easily be less then 20K and sound like 50K or better of course my opinion might be a bit slanted!

Works for me!

Going with the basic theme you might go B&W 802d for speakers and a vpi classic or the new pioneer direct drive sl-1200.

Other thoughts would be mc c22 and mc75s that just came out and the new la scalas for w retro looking throughly bad *** setup. The cd sugested CD player and then a Mac mini with cd drive for digital library.

Speakers:  B&W Diamond 804  $7500/pr. Sound great in both near and far-field Solid bass extension Small footprint WAF very high (and they like the sound too)
Maybe I haven't heard that particular model, but B&W's tend to sound withdrawn and lifeless to me.  The quality, fit, and finish of the materials are terrific and may be worth that kind of money..