Hummingbird Migration

oldtimer

We've had them here for a while.

One day, years back I seen 2 white ones at the feeder.  No camera.  Sure were pretty.

Pic's of white hummer

dailypicksandflicks.com/...albino-hummingbird-in-virginia...

• Like 1

Hummingbirds are awesome. Last summer I witnessed an air battle between 5 or 6 of them for about 10 minutes over a large patch of minardi flowers. They would disappear then attack, it was like they were everywhere and nowhere. Being that it was happening 5 feet away from me and they were buzzing my head it was spooky.

• Like 1

Recommend planting natives for hummingbird and butterfly attraction.

Brazilian verbena is my favorite perennial - same year it was planted had butterflies I've never seen before and hummingbirds! Tall and wispy- fills in anywhere. And about $2.00 online for a bag of 50 seeds! Just can't beat it.

It depends how many birds are visiting the feeders as to how long they will last. In the height of summer we can go thru 4 quarts a day.Mom is disabled now so I feed them for her she had been doing it for 10 or more years.She says its important to keep the feeders clean (no chemical cleaners hot water) and fresh food.May have to change the liquid every three days or so.Once the first batch of young start hitting the feeders they keep the feeders low enough I fill them every eve. Then put fresh feeders out every three days or so. As long as there is clean food available they will come to them all summer.If I can figure how to post videos this evening I'll try to add them. Just after sun up or before sundown looks like a hive of bees.

Food recipe -

1 quart water

1 cup sugar

Bring to a boil and let it cool.

jerol

That's it?  How often do you have to do this to keep them around?  How long does it take for them to go through a quart?

It depends on how many bird feeders and birds you are feeding.

jerol

I changed from a 4 cup water : 1 cup sugar ratio to a 5:1 ratio many years ago.  I don't remember where I read about that but the argument had to do with the 5:1 ratio being closer to a natural approximation of sugar content.  Certainly seemed to cause no harm and the sugar water doesn't ferment quite as quickly when the food lasts longer because they are feeding less and from the hot summer sun.  I also try to keep them in the shade when I can.  

If they are emptying the feeders in a single day I don't think I would change anything you are doing!

I heard about putting alcohol in the mix in high school,  So I added a touch of rum.  All the Hummers but one avoided that  Feeder  except one.  The one was very defensive of it's new found liquor.  I have heard of them getting falling down drunk.   err     Falling off the perch, drunk.