SVS Decision; 2Hz

badbob

I am torn between getting a 20-39PCi and a 25-31PCi tuned to 22Hz. Aside from the obvious physical size difference (39in vs 31in), is 2Hz something to get all worked up over?

I realize that the difference in price is only $50, but the WAF on the smaller sub would be better!

Thanks in advance.

ROCK ON!

bb, it would be auto for me for $50. i look at the sub to mostly work w/ that below 40hz. so given most low bass material & the room size works mostly for the 1st octave of hearing, 20-40hz, get the most you can in at least in that range, if not some below. i like having the capability & feel down to 12.5hz flat w/ the hgs-18.

iow, given the narrow range where a sub should really do the work, 2hz is signif. at least to get to 20hz flat, squeeze that budget & waf til it hz. Smile.gif sub is really for the 1st octave; not for the 2nd octave as long as one has bigger speaks that work better to 40hz & the right crossovers & power. but that's the other direction. jmo Smile.gif

i'd get the 20 & have 'em tune THAT lower. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-09-2002 at 05:03 PM

I mean, would your wife really get worked up about 8 inches Smile.gif...

You can always get the bigger one and get her somthing nice in return, you know, a trade if you will?

Also, either way, it is going to be big, so I can't see there being a HUGE difference in size after all is said and done. 8" is not a HUGE difference. But really, for your sake, I wouldn't be too upset if I were you and got the smaller of the two. Both are going to give you uber bass, so just see how it works out.

Good luck!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

You welcome!!!

Have you made any progress yet?

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Badbob -

I would get the 20-39's deeper is always better. I have them and they are great but when I go over to friends houses that have the 16-46's I say Damm that is what I should have gotten.

BTW did you get the e-mail I sent out about a Klipsch gathering here in DFW. I don't know if you have changed your e-mail recently or not.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Bigger!!!

------------------

Hmnmmm, badbob, why not acquaint the WAF with the deep-dredging 16-46... but allow that you will give up those low organ notes to cut the 46" height down to only 39"... nice guy that you are! cwm16.gif

Dolby Digital's reference level for commercial theaters is measured at 121.5 dB at 20 Hz. If you can hit that, you can produce every bass note on a Dolby Digital DVD that has been recorded for your potential enjoyment. Of course, it usually takes two Ultras in a corner to make that number in most listening environments.

It's a lot easier to make $50 than it is to live without the bottom-thrilling lost two Hz... particularly if you have quality leather seating! Go for it! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-17-2002 at 01:20 PM