Refurbing my cornwalls? Besides the X over- what else should I do?

jhoofard

I finally am getting around to sending my X-overs to getting the Crites refurb and was wondering while I am doing it is there anything else I should do. They are Cornwall 2's from 1968 and I bought them from the original owner (I have the receipt and all the paperwork!) and they had not even been moved since he bought them. I opened them up expecting cobwebs and who knows what else as it is my understanding he never opened them up. When opened they pretty much look new and pristine inside!  

So while I am waiting to get my x-overs back is there anything else I should do inside? The speakers sound great and have zero problems- they are mint  and look new. 

Any suggestions?

Jeff in PDX

Jeff, congrats on your speakers.

the wires might not be long enough to rotate the woofers and re-connect them to the crossovers so just leave them where their at

WE WANT PICTURES

Edited by Budman

I'd replace any and all gasket material.  Some would also suggest to rotate your woofers 180 degrees.

Also it is well past time to replace the rubber washer between the K55 driver and the K600 mid horn, Bob Crites has stock of those for very little they are an odd size you are going to find elsewhere easily. I third rotating you woofers 180 degrees as well. Fresh caps are also in order at this age. By the way the CW2 did not come out until the mid 1980's so you have Cornwal of some version, there were a lot of little differences. You might want to talk to Bob about swapping out your old K77 tweeters for a brand new and much better sounding set of his CT125 tweeters which are a perfect drop in with no network changes or anything else for that matter. Hope that this is of interest. Best regards Moray James..

Edited by moray james

"the CW2 did not come out until the mid 1980's"

The 1968 version he mentions was designed to lay on it's side (as a low-boy), and has the horns rotated 90° from usual.

1_0ca865eee633f5c051a3ce3e3502f8be.jpg

Edited by djk

The 1968 version he mentions was designed to lay on it's side (as a low-boy), and has the horns rotated 90° from usual.

the second version of the cornwall came out in late 1985 and after they named it the 11 they realized they already had one back in the 60's so he is correct his 68's ( with pictures to verify ) should say Cornwall 11's on the rear label

we call the above speakers verticals as they were designed to lay on their sides to fit under a window in the home.

Edited by Budman

the second version of the cornwall came out in late 1985 and after they named it the 11 they realized they already had one back in the 60's so he is correct his 68's ( with pictures to verify ) should say Cornwall 11's on the rear label

we call the above speakers verticals as they were designed to lay on their sides to fit under a window in the home.

thanks for that I do remember now seeing a old CW with ll on the back label but I had forgotten. I guess for most readers though a CW ll has a K79 tweeter and Prior CW has either a Alnico round magnet K77 or a Ceremic square magnet K77. Thanks for posting. Best regards Moray James.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great info! My crossovers came today (awesome turn over time with Bob Crites!) and now I am trying to figure how to replace the gasket that goes between the horn and the midrange. I see 4 screws that appear to be what I need to take off. Is that the correct way of doing it? Sorry I am all thumbs when it comes to this stuff!

Jeff  

Thanks for all the great info! My crossovers came today (awesome turn over time with Bob Crites!) and now I am trying to figure how to replace the gasket that goes between the horn and the midrange. I see 4 screws that appear to be what I need to take off. Is that the correct way of doing it? Sorry I am all thumbs when it comes to this stuff!

Jeff

Please post a picture of your mid horn/driver. All the older CW have screw on horns (the driver has a throat like a Coke bottle and it simply screws into the horn)The later ones the horn connects with four black Philips (star)screws. Lets have a loo at what you have there. Post a snap of the tweeter also. Best regards Moray James.an K55 drivers newer ones have K52 drivers and

" I see 4 screws that appear to be what I need to take off."

Then there is no rubber washer to replace.

An Atlas K55V has six screws on the top plate.

The ferrite Klipsch drivers have four screws.

Edited by djk

I have 1968 Cornwalls too.  Its not the black rubber gasket you see at the outer edge of the K55 driver if that is what you are thinking.  You unscrew the whole driver (gray) from the horn (black) and you will see a smaller rotten old gasket inside the horn.  

I prefer the K77 to the CT-125 as well but this is an issue of taste mostly.  

I was able to get separate them (just had to spin them) tonight with little problem. The gaskets in there appeared a bit dry but considering they are 3 years older than me it is amazing the shape they are! I am finishing up the rest of the job tonight and can't wait to see what they sound like tomorrow when my kids are awake. Unfortunately I have to wait another week to get my 2270 back from getting Led's installed and the general service. I feel like a kid at Christmas! 

Thanks Guys for the help!

Jeff