LaScala Help

nickmang

Hi,

This is my first post. I checked other post to see if I could find an answer. I didn't see one so I thought I would ask.  I have a pair of LaScala industrial speakers installed at my church. Recently one speaker started losing the lows.  At first I thought it completely quit working, but upon further inspection I could hear sound out of the high/mid speaker.  This pair has a separate high/mid cabinet and a woofer cabinet.  The problem is also intermittent which made it really hard to chase down at first.  I am powering them with a QSC RMX 1450 amp.  I believe the problem is in the crossover but not sure.  I a little over my head.  Nothing looks like it has gotten hot or going bad.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Nick
post-61010-0-77680000-1427158154_thumb.j
post-61010-0-27360000-1427158176_thumb.j
post-61010-0-40320000-1427158251_thumb.j
post-61010-0-25520000-1427158207_thumb.j

Welcome to the forums. Since it is easy to get to the crossovers, first, check the fuses. Second, would be to loosen and re-tighten all the screws on the terminal strip on the crossovers. If that doesn't help, you can get into the cabinet and check the leads on the woofer and make sure it is still connected. You could also check this by removing the two leads from the woofer on the crossover and checking the DC resistance with a digital multimeter.

Bruce

You might also want to check the wires/connectors which run between the high and low bins.  The input from your amp comes in to the high bin, which then feeds the low bin.  Obviously, loose/broken connectors/wires between the two will cause issues.

Failing any kind of resolution, let me know where you are located, and I'll come and pick them up this weekend... ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Thanks for your replies.  I checked all the wiring on the outside of the speakers . When I took the cross over out and undid the wires from the terminal strip, none of them where loose.  I will check the wires in the woofer cabinet.  All of the wiring from the amp is new with fresh banana  plugs. I checked the banana plugs to make sure they where all tight.  Outside of a loose wire, the intermittent nature is what is confusing.
Thanks,
Nick

Hi Thanks for your replies.  I checked all the wiring on the outside of the speakers . When I took the cross over out and undid the wires from the terminal strip, none of them where loose.  I will check the wires in the woofer cabinet.  All of the wiring from the amp is new with fresh banana  plugs. I checked the banana plugs to make sure they where all tight.  Outside of a loose wire, the intermittent nature is what is confusing.

Thanks,

Nick

You have a problem with a La Scala?  Wow, did you ever come to the right place for advice!  There are many here who are genuine experts with LS and know them inside and out.  I'm sure this issue will get resolved.

I am not one of those experts, but I have a question for you; are you saying the LS was working fine BEFORE the new/upgraded wires with the banana plugs?  I'm just trying to eliminate the variables in the trouble shooting process, so you can go to the more complicated steps later.

Also, change the speakers wires from L to R, to see if the bad sound stays with one speaker, or if it moves with the wire change.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Try switching the top sections. If the intermittent woofer disappearance follows the switched top to the other bass bin, the problem is likely at the crossover. If the problems stays with the bass bin, the problem is the woofer or a connection to the woofer.

Good luck.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help,
  I will swap the tops tomorrow.   As for the cable, my thought there is that if it where the cable, or at least the main cable from the amp, I wouldn't get any sound out of the speaker.  As it is I am getting sound out of the top. 

Hi Guys,
So it appears I over looked something simple. After swapping the tops the problem didn't follow. As I was diagnosing things I hard wired around all of the out board gear between the console and the amps to make sure that I didn't have a piece of bad gear. I have a DBX compressor in in the inserts for the main channels L&R. I forgot that, so as I was eliminating things, it was always in the mix. It is the culprit.
Thanks for all of your help.
Below are some photos of how I have them installed
Blessings,

Nick
post-61010-0-34680000-1427246125_thumb.j
post-61010-0-10800000-1427246050_thumb.j
post-61010-0-20560000-1427246106_thumb.j
post-61010-0-63840000-1427246089_thumb.j