Palladium crossover networks...

ninjai18

My take on them is this. In an HT environment where there is explosions and noises and all this going on the RF 7II can be just as fantastic but in a 2 channel critical listing environment the Palladiums are going to win. I was running mine with a decent tube pre-amp and amp so maybe my experience is different from others.

But of course it depends on what you mean by "hold it's own".

I had P39's and they were fantastic but I sold them and replaced with a 32 year old pair of bone stock Cornwalls and am just as happy.

its hard to say without side by siding those two but I bet they would sound different for sure. This isms great example of just forgetting about the gear and enjoying the sound. Happy for you Strickland. Love my Cornwalls. Wish they weren't just sitting in storage

Exactly Scrappy. My wife and I (and my 14 year old daughter!!) are just enjoying the music and not the gear, however my wife said to PLEASE not sell the McIntosh amp/preamp. I was ready to do that too but I guess I can't now....

You know, I've been wondering, could Klipsch RF-7 II's with fully upgraded DeanG mods hold their own against stock Palladium P-39F's? Anyone care to speculate?

As stated above, drivers, horns and enclosure all make a difference as well.

I believe Youthman has a pair of 7II crossovers that Dean reworked.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Correct, I have the first pair of DeanG RF-7ii's.  He may have done others by now.  If anyone has Palladiums nearby, I would be willing to bring over my RF-7ii to do some A/B Comparisons with them.

Correct, I have the first pair of DeanG RF-7ii's. He may have done others by now. If anyone has Palladiums nearby, I would be willing to bring over my RF-7ii to do some A/B Comparisons with them.
come on over

You know, I've been wondering, could Klipsch RF-7 II's with fully upgraded DeanG mods hold their own against stock Palladium P-39F's? Anyone care to speculate?

As stated above, drivers, horns and enclosure all make a difference as well.

Just imagine how good the Palladiums would sound if DeanG reworked their crossovers, that I'd LOVE to hear. :D Why on earth has Klipsch not hired him?? :P

Edited by ninjai18

What are you hearing that is a problem with the Palladiums?

Edited by Don Richard

It's just a hypothetical.

• Like 1

It's just a hypothetical.

when has that ever been sufficient on this forum?

• Like 1

I don't think so.  I can easily hear the difference between the reference stuff I've had (even my wife can).  The three way design has a much better sounding mid-range.  Everything just sounds more real through these speakers compared to the RF-83's I've had in the same room on the same equipment.  The LS II's have a great mid-range too, but the Palladium mid-range has more detail and just sounds more real than those too.  I still love the La Scala sound though.

I am curious about going active to properly time align my P39f's drivers, but I am highly satisfied with my used P39f's as is.  I can't say they are worth the retail price, but they very well could be to a rich person (of which I'm not).

DISCLAIMER: I've only lived with the RF-83 and RC-64 so I can't directly compare the Palladium's to the RF-7ii.  I also believe in going active over using an improved crossover (there are technical reasons to support my viewpoint too), but I don't want to start a war as I know this is a hot topic.

Edited by etc6849

I doubt that since one is 2-way while other is 3-way design. Crossover is one aspect while individual transducers (speakers) for each range is another. That said, either system if not designed properly will show the deficiency. e.g. every time when you deal with the crossover point, there is a huge chance of loosing a frequency band, while on the other hand trying to produce all frequencies with one or two speakers produces other challenges.

• Moderators
Everything just sounds more real through these speakers compared to the RF-83's I've had in the same room on the same equipment.

The 83's have a very laid back sound.  Somewhat not your typical "Klipsch sound" so I'm not sure how much you could compare 83's to Palladiums. 

Everything just sounds more real through these speakers compared to the RF-83's I've had in the same room on the same equipment.

The 83's have a very laid back sound.  Somewhat not your typical "Klipsch sound" so I'm not sure how much you could compare 83's to Palladiums. 

Probably, from that aspect, Klipsch did a fantastic job with RF-7 II. Took care of most of the "cons"... I love both RF-7 IIs and P-39Fs... Kind of unique in their given price range.

• Like 1

The 83's have a very laid back sound. Somewhat not your typical "Klipsch sound" so I'm not sure how much you could compare 83's to Palladiums.
laid back compared to rf-7 maybe but to me the 63's I had were one of the clearest ones I've had. Out of Klipsch the only thing to beat it I've owned so far is the 904 and palladium stuff. The Cornwalls are right there but not better or worse

Here is a photo of the P-17 crossovers.

http://www.mediaelectronics-blog.be/klipsch-palladium-p17-review/

Bill

Hmm, the caps and coils look pretty nice. The resistors look lower end quality though (of course, I could be wrong). Would love to see some Palladium tower XO's, :D
the caaps are probably decent sounding ones but I agree those ceramic resistors are not to write home about. Poor showing as far as I am concerned.

Ps: in just seeing the picture above and for balance those inductors do look to be a decent gage but again no letters home but nice you have to keep in mind the sticker price.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2