Klipsch KLF30 with Sunfire or Rotel

Thrasher

I am going to be pairing up my Klipsch KLF30's with a decent amp in the near future. I have ran the search feature on this site and ran random Google searches to see what is the better choice. Choices are Sunfire 225x5 Cinema Grand II (completely refurbed) or nice used Rotel 1085. I am MAINLY going to be listening to this setup for music and the occasional movie, but mostly for music. (rock, grunge, alternative, hip hop..)

I personally haven't heard any of these setups and I am merely going by others opinions, and/or topics I have searched on the interwebz and with guys that are kind enough to take time to email and help educate me.

Is it more than merely personal preference? I have read that the Sunfire's run cooler than the Rotel. I have read that the Sunfire's have a low level hiss or hum. I have read that the Rotel's notoriuously heat up. I have read that the Rotel's have a warmer cleaner power. I have read that the power in the Rotel isn't even in the same class at the Sunfire, as it is far superior. Or the other camp gives all the nods to the Sunfire...

So many different opinions on these two high end amps. I am merely hoping to understand before diving in and grabbing one when they both sound more than capable at producing the quality sounds I am after.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Corey

• Like 1

two good stereo block amps would serve you better. A pair of matching solid 50 watt per channel stereo amps (will do 50 watts into 8 ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms) or Higher wattage(there are all kinds of decent 100x2 stereo block amps out there. Then vertically bi amp on stereo block per speaker. This will work much better than one big or even bigger stereo am ever co for a bunch of reasons. Plus having a pair of stereo block amps is very handy to have for an assortment of reasons.Once you have a pair of stereo amps at home and start to see all the possibilities you won't ever want to be without them ever again. Best regards Moray James.

Wondering if you have looked at any of the Emotiva gear?  I have owned several of their amps in the past, and felt that they were a great value.  I have since moved on to mostly tube amps and vintage receivers, but was happy with the Emo equipment when I had it installed.

• Like 1

Wondering if you have looked at any of the Emotiva gear?  I have owned several of their amps in the past, and felt that they were a great value.  I have since moved on to mostly tube amps and vintage receivers, but was happy with the Emo equipment when I had it installed.

I have not actually and wouldn't really know which models to focus on.

Edited by Thrasher

Well, since you are looking at 5 channel, there are really only two from Emotiva to consider in the higher end range, the XPR-5, and the XPA-5.

https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

Well, since you are looking at 5 channel, there are really only two from Emotiva to consider in the higher end range, the XPR-5, and the XPA-5.

https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0

I was looking at 5 channel, but wouldn't be opposed to a 2 channel if I understood the potential benefits, I suppose.

Both amp will most likely work well for you.  The sonic benefits will reside largely in the preamp.  Using multiple stereo amps is an option but, IMHO no real benefit when I tried it.  They also takeup a lot of room.  The only caution is that if older amps malfunction the repairs can be costly since there is no warranty.

Corey, I run both Rotel and Sunfire with my KLF-30s.  My Gear is the Rotel 1066 (pre-amp), Rotel 1077 (amp), and the Sunfire Theater Grand II (pre-amp), Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig, and a Sunfire Sig. Sub.  I in fact have them both still and migrate between them from time to time...  Here is my humble opinion although my gear is not the exact same models...

I like the Sunfire a lot.  In fact I have really grown to respect it the longer I have it and the more I try it against other amps.  I have yet to have anything come through my house and beat it (excluding my McIntosh gear).  It does have a slight hiss if you put your ear next to the tweeter, but you would never hear this at any listening level.  I really like the current source and voltage source taps as well, they work very well with the bi-wire able capability of the KLF30.  Almost as if it was made for Klipsch.  I ran mine for years with current up top and voltage for the woofers.  Though I have read, not to bother with grand go for the signature like I have.  I can also say that I have not even a single hiccup in the 12 years I have had it.  Solid unit.

My Rotel will not keep up with the Sunfire, it doesn't sound as good, and is not as dynamic as the Sunfire, seems a bit more grainy or gritty.  Especially for movies.  It sounds great and I don't have anything really bad to say about it, but right now the Rotel is unused in my home.

With that I will say that there are better amps then either of these.  I have been really happy with my recently acquired McIntosh MC2205 and would suggest looking at these as well.  A NOS VRD amps are also on my lust list.

• Like 2

For multi-channel applications (which I am assuming is the case), any discussion of amping KLF's should include Marantz. I use a Marantz pre/pro and 5 channel power amp on my all KLF setup and it's fabulous. May want to check into it. Good luck.

The RB-1090 is Rotels only decent offering , I had 6 of them in my HT system at one time , now down to just a pair .

Sold off a 1090 With a pair of Scala's , and another one with a gassed out set of k-horns and 2 more with some speaker lab clones .

Picked up a dozen or so RB-1090's at auction from a freight claim ...

I had read that the Sunfire's had a minor hiss if you listened closely. However, this was due to some inferior pieces that were being used. Several people had their caps upgraded and this problem went away. Others complain about Rotel having a heat issue compared to Sunfire....So, what is better? Rotel or Sunfire? Seems almost like a Ford, Chevy and Dodge conversation. It all comes down to preference but there is no clear answer it seems.

So, what is better? Rotel or Sunfire?

All relative.

It all comes down to preference but there is no clear answer it seems.

So true.

Like when I switched from B&K 200w/ch amps to Acurus 200w/ch amps.  Neither is really "better", I just preferred the Acurus amps with my Reference Klipsch.

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the only true way of knowing is to hear for yourself. If you can find a good used amp, from a reputable source, I'd say buy it and try it. You can always resell. Its a pain the arse but like others say, there is no right answer. Kinda like asking how long is a rope? I did the same with AVR's and right now I have a Denon, Pioner and Yamaha being used as a pre. So far, I like the Yamaha better but that does not mean in any way the Denon and Pioneer are bad. 

I just bought a used Sunfire Architect series II but havent had time to hook it up yet. I am using my Outlaw 7125 now. I did exactly what I'm recommending you do. Buy used, try em out and resell the one you dont want to keep. There is a risk buying used but there are also advantages.

• Like 1