McIntosh MC 352 dead! Ugggg!

marems

Well, if you are blowing fuses on the amp, then you probably do have a short somewhere. If the short was in the power cord, you would probably be tripping the circuit breaker on your main panel.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the tech will look inside the amp and spot the problem in about 3 seconds. There is a good likelihood that your amp has not suffered any serious damage.

BTW, when you connected the new power cord, was it an easy fit  or did you need to muscle it  (I assume this was an IEC plug and you did not "wire" anything)?

It sounds like the cord was hooked up incorrectly and shorted out the ground to power and in the process melted the ground wire so it now has no continuity through the cord.

Mac amps are pretty bullet proof.  It sounds like a serious mistake was made.

Edit:  Sorry.......I see it worked correctly at first.  So I am certainly wrong here.  :)

Edited by mark1101

There are plenty of people that float grounds on audio gear , if the cord had an issue the breaker would of popped and you Mc wouldnt of worked for over an hour , maybe the pc was just that good and sent to much current I wouldnt be so in a rush to blame the pc

If someone has the schematic, see what the little green grounding pin on the connector connects to inside of the Mac amp.

If it's a null aka no connection, then the amp floats.

If it connects to something in the amp, then it may not float.

If it is supposed to connect to something inside of the amp and it does not, that may cause a fault condition inside of the amp triggering a protection of some kind designed to keep you from killing yourself or the the amp of both.....something like a GFI breaker.

It could also be that the green ground is a null, and one of the two conductors either  the hot or return-ground was damaged and the amp went into a protection mode since it sensed the cord was damaged, and it won't come out until a tech resets it.

Speculation on my part, but they do seem to do more with the safety and grounding than they did in the 1980s

Forgot, it could be that the amp failure is completely unrelated to the cord..

Edited by Bubo

rgot, it could be that the amp failure is completely unrelated to the cord..

My money is on this..... Hard to believe a power cord failure, even if all the wires shorted together, would cause the amp to fail. I very seriously doubt that a lifted earth would cause this either. I think the amp just decided to crap out.

Edited by paul79

The Mac is at the dealer now to have diagnosed. They gave me an argon 8008 amp for a loaner till the Mac is repaired. Here's part of the service manual that shows the power input schematic, anyone know if the ground floats or not?? post-13945-0-94060000-1427684444_thumb.j

post-13945-0-40820000-1427684728_thumb.j

post-13945-0-03100000-1427684759_thumb.j