Considering Preamp for 2ch Setup....Need Suggestions

Youthman

Nothing magic about separate preamps.  If you like the current sound, you don't have to change anything.  I use only a few channels of amplification from my Pioneer Elite and power the other speakers with the Acurus amp.  Personally, I like the avr/amp combo.    Some people like the look of separates and that is also fine.  It is truly better than the avr/amp combo, that is debateable IMHO.

Thus is my approach also... but have often wondered if a good quality tube pre might impart a sound to the signals.

My tube hybird has SS rear and tube in the front.  The Fortes are on that amp and the RF 7 on the Pioneer.  The two speakers SQ is so close that it is a toss up if one system is truly better.  At our next Chicago land meeting I will see if the guys want to bring different preamps, some high end and some middle of the road and see it we can tell a difference.

• Like 1

One of the most super high end setups Iv seen had a tube pre and solid state amp but the cables alone were worth more than a pair of nib khorns and the tt was $100k+. The mansion was built around the music room.

Anyhow I know there has been mixed emotion around here with tube pre and solid state amplification mixing but it happens to be a nice choice in many situations even if its for the glamour of the warm tubes.

All in all In comparison with anything moving into something other including the 3490 for sq the difference would likely be minimal. Although some trial and error may prove otherwise. If your minds set on even a lateral change in pre the change would likely prove itself.

I would possibly consider a rotel 7.1 pre for about $200-250 and run it 2 ch. This yields wonderful results and I know of others running a 1076(I believe) and love it for there 2 channel. Or hold out and get an acurus or find a juicy music pre. I use a Marantz 1403 primarily for 2 ch and or 2.1/2.2 music and love it as a pre, and there $250 with warranty and even less used.

I had been using an old Harman avr430 for a pre with a tube amp for 2ch&2.1/2.2 and it sounded absolutely great and comparing it to the 3490 pre section imo they are equal...so I would say hold tight until you could find the matching acurus pre or a nice tube pre or maybe just pass. The 3490 is very nice

Youth, I have and Adcom preamp I hardly use but not sure I want to sell it. I will however, offer to let you borrow it for a while so you can get a true sense of what it will sound like in your system. Its just sitting idle anyway. Maybe I can give it to CECAA and he can bring it to Hope? I really dont even remember the model number of it but if your interested, I'll look at it tomorrow.

Hey Youthman, I use the Emotiva XDA-2 preamp in all of my two channel systems. It only accepts digital inputs so I am not sure if that will work for you. I love the way it has a built in DAC and headphone amp and allows for dual amplification via dedicated XLR and RCA outputs. I run a pair of first gen Heresy's via my Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier while I enhance the low end with two powered subs hooked up via RCA. Sounds amazing......they are also super affordable. Only about $250 brand new and warrantied for five years. Worse case scenario try one out for free for thirty days. Really nothing to lose!

• Like 1

• Moderators

The XDA is a DAC, that can be used as a preamp, and I agree it's a good choice to try for the price. I use the first version, I tried it cheap and love it, and is a big improvement in sound over the AVR I was using.

I would possibly consider a rotel 7.1 pre for about $200-250 and run it 2 ch

My experience:  I am strictly 2-channel (well, 2.2).  Prior to the my current RC-1070, I was running the RSP-1068 in "stereo" mode.  Hands down, in every aspect, the 1070 wins !!!  Much better sound, extremely user friendly, very sleek and simple.  If you do not need a processor, my advice, don't buy one!  They are a pain!!!  Once set to your liking they are fine.  However, initial setup of the RSP took me over 1/2 day, and that is just programming it...   Don't get me wrong, the RSP was nice and did sound wonderful, just not my cup of tea.

Keep it simple :D

♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

If you are patient, I would look for a pilot sp210. I read an article on six moons about a group that in a listening test preferred it to a an Arc reference one which I think were around 10k new. You would have to build a power supply though. I have been through a lot of well regarded gear its one of my favorites so far...

I would possibly consider a rotel 7.1 pre for about $200-250 and run it 2 ch

My experience:  I am strictly 2-channel (well, 2.2).  Prior to the my current RC-1070, I was running the RSP-1068 in "stereo" mode.  Hands down, in every aspect, the 1070 wins !!!  Much better sound, extremely user friendly, very sleek and simple.  If you do not need a processor, my advice, don't buy one!  They are a pain!!!  Once set to your liking they are fine.  However, initial setup of the RSP took me over 1/2 day, and that is just programming it...   Don't get me wrong, the RSP was nice and did sound wonderful, just not my cup of tea.

Keep it simple :D

♪ ♫ ♪

I used a 1068(it had to be) for a short time last year and it was overall better imo than 3 adcom preamps Iv owned, plus had sub output...sq for my buddy with his planars was very good for him as well in 2ch, at least with planars and he's still using it. I always had at least 1 adcom preamp until about a year ago. Just real solid simple 2ch preamps. Still like 1 sometime or grab a rotel 1070. I have an old tube amp my buddy wants to trade for that 1068 and I just cant let go yet.

Another great thought is watching for a killer older 5.1 pre(non hdmi) for 2ch or 2.1. I had watched for McIntosh gear for a few months to buy for the long haul and nothing popped up. That said theres a huge range of super high end 5.1 preamps around. Older mac gear is through the sky though but never know.

If I were you youthman I would hold tight and wait til all these tax money people quit sweeping everything up and watch for a crazy even possibly mac 5.1 pre...I was watching in the 5-600 $ range and ended up keeping along the same route I was and staying surround avr for main room listening(mxr dad hooked me up real nice).

• Like 1

Thx Bill.

Michael,

Did you take a look at the suggestions I sent in a PM?

A B&K PT-3II, PT-5, or Reference 5 S2 would sound awesome with your Acurus A200.

P1000580.JPG

All have subwoofer options if you choose that route later.

Bill

• Like 1

I used a 1068(it had to be) for a short time last year and it was overall better imo than 3 adcom preamps Iv owned

:emotion-21: agreed, prior to my 1068 I was running an Adcom 502 pre.  Again, hands down, the Rotel won out!!!  For lack of a better imagery, the Rotel put a sock in the Adcom's mouth :)

My opinion, you really can not go wrong with Rotel gear

Youthman, the 1070's do come up occasionally on eBay as well as Audiogon at around $350 or so.  The black face model seems to catch a few more dollars than the (IMO) ugly silver ones. 

Good luck friend :smile:

• Like 1

• Moderators
Youthman, the 1070's do come up occasionally on eBay as well as Audiogon at around $350 or so. The black face model seems to catch a few more dollars than the (IMO) ugly silver ones.

I'm watching a silver 1070 on Ebay.  I actually prefer the clean look of the silver vs the black.  There is a guy on CL that I'm considering as well.  Will keep everyone posted in a few days.

• Like 2

Youthman, the 1070's do come up occasionally on eBay as well as Audiogon at around $350 or so. The black face model seems to catch a few more dollars than the (IMO) ugly silver ones.

I'm watching a silver 1070 on Ebay.  I actually prefer the clean look of the silver vs the black.  There is a guy on CL that I'm considering as well.  Will keep everyone posted in a few days.

Which one, so I can go in and bid against you :P . Just kidding, I would hate it if someone did that to me.  Good luck with the auction, but if you could get a good deal on one locally where you could check it out. I would go for it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Which one, so I can go in and bid against you :P

It's the one that says "For Working Parts Only".  It's missing the front knob, doesn't turn on, face is scratched, has cat spray on the outside case and came from a smoker.  You are more than welcome to bid on it.  :lol::P:D

Good luck with the auction

I'm thinking it will go above what I'm wanting to spend on it since some of them have sold for $300 - $400 but I'm watching to see.  $250 and I would bite.

if you could get a good deal on one locally where you could check it out. I would go for it.

It's not local, found it in another state.  Not even sure the guy is willing to ship.  Waiting on the Ebay Auction before I ask him.

• Like 2