Considering Preamp for 2ch Setup....Need Suggestions

Youthman

• Moderators

I've always enjoyed the sound from Harman Kardon and bought a 2ch receiver that could sufficiently drive the RF-7ii's.  Later, I purchased an Acurus A200.  So now that I have the Acurus and I'm not using the internal amps of the HK, I'm considering the possibility of selling it and buying a preamp. 

I wouldn't need any bells and whistles.  Currently I have the Rotel DVD as my CD transport.  It is hooked up via digital coax but could be connected to a pre-pro via analog.  The only other input I would need is an RCA for my Apple Airport Express which allows me to stream music from my phone through the 2ch system.

Other than that, I just want it to sound great with the RF-7ii.

Any suggestions for a used Preamp in the $300-$350 range?

Edited by Youthman

Nothing magic about separate preamps.  If you like the current sound, you don't have to change anything.  I use only a few channels of amplification from my Pioneer Elite and power the other speakers with the Acurus amp.  Personally, I like the avr/amp combo.    Some people like the look of separates and that is also fine.  It is truly better than the avr/amp combo, that is debateable IMHO.

• Like 1

I used to have a Classe 6 preamp which was an awesome Preamp.

I would highly recommend a used Classe preamp.

The Classe 4 is another great preamp... I had one before I got the 6, and I think you should be able to get one for what you are looking to pay.

Edited by ellisr63

If you have to have solid state, here is a great one for not a lot of money.  I've had this one before and have nothing but great things to say about it:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649166235-audio-research-ls-3/

This is an old ad so probably no longer available, but keep an eye out for them.  They will likely be just a bit above your budget but definitely worth the extra $150 or so.

Another solid-state I can recommend on the cheap would be a PS Audio 5.0 which comes with a separate power supply and includes a phono section.  This should run $200 or less.  The PS Audio 4.5 would probably be similar.  These would obviously not be as nice as the ARC but still are solid performers nonetheless.

Edited by JMON
  • Like 1

For solid-state, I like Classe a lot!

The one I owned was the actual unit that was used by the magazines for review... It was the best preamp I have ever owned.

• Moderators
Nothing magic about separate preamps.

Maybe that's part of my question.....is there a preamp that would offer an audible difference in sound quality?  If not, there really is no benefit for me "upgrading" to a dedicated preamp.

If you like the current sound, you don't have to change anything.

I do like the sound of HK with Klipsch....always have.  Guess I was just curious if I can improve the sound even more since I don't need the amplification in the receiver.

Some people like the look of separates and that is also fine.

I do not find any "appeal" to separates.  I'm more concerned with how it sounds.  With that said, I'm not into vintage gear.  Owned an old HK AVR430.  Sounded good, just too old for my taste.

It is truly better than the avr/amp combo, that is debateable IMHO.

Yeah, that's probably true.

Any models in the < $350 range? 

I simply love my Rotel RC-1070. Zero bells, zero whistles. Volume knob, a few switches and sweet magical sound. -merely a suggestion, right in your price range...

Ok I said I didn't care about the look but I REALLY like the clean look of that Rotel.  :D

• Like 2