Considering Preamp for 2ch Setup....Need Suggestions

Youthman

• Moderators
Good luck, Youthman :emotion-21:

Thx.

...and the elusive 1072 http://www.ebay.com/...=item5b0f3ebf74

That would look nice with the Rotel 1070.  I PM'd the seller to see if he might be interested in trading my Rotel RDV-1080 for it since I only need a CD player since their is no longer a TV in the living room. 

That would look nice with the Rotel 1070

Yes Sir :emotion-21:  

I have the RDV-1040 and the RCD-1072.  They are nearly identical in size and looks.  That, however, are the only similarities.  The 1040 is as though it was built with mere feathers.  The 1072 on the other hand, as if it were built with lead!  One SOLID unit!!!  ...and it sounds fantastic

The 1070 matched with the 1072 are an awesome pair...

• Moderators
Somebody had a nice NAD 1700 preamp here in the for sale section for a reasonable price, its a good sounding piece.

I had an NAD that had a similar style to it.  Not too fond of the look of it. To old looking.  Would much prefer the style of the silver Rotel that has been mentioned.  Would love a piece that looks great, has nice build quality and sounds great.  Oh yeah, I want it to be inexpensive too.  :lol:

If things do not work out with either the Rotel or the other item, you are welcome to give my Cambridge Audio 640A V2 a test drive.

Thanks Bill.  Can you email me larger photos and how much you are asking.  Looks like a nice unit.  Still love the look of the silver Rotel but if it doesn't work out, the Cambridge maybe an option.

• Moderators

Just pulled up some larger images on google.  Smart idea to put the text on the back right side up and upside down.  Would come in handy when you are leaning over the top and looking upside down at the connections.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed the sound from Harman Kardon and bought a 2ch receiver that could sufficiently drive the RF-7ii's.  Later, I purchased an Acurus A200.  So now that I have the Acurus and I'm not using the internal amps of the HK, I'm considering the possibility of selling it and buying a preamp. 

I wouldn't need any bells and whistles.  Currently I have the Rotel DVD as my CD transport.  It is hooked up via digital coax but could be connected to a pre-pro via analog.  The only other input I would need is an RCA for my Apple Airport Express which allows me to stream music from my phone through the 2ch system.

Other than that, I just want it to sound great with the RF-7ii.

Any suggestions for a used Preamp in the $300-$350 range?

Whichever pre-amp you choose, make sure that it matches impedence of Acurus amp channel. Sometimes, it causes unforseen issues. This is where, Pre-Post from same manufacturer and product series comes in play for which they typically want you to go bankrupt.

http://www.hbassociates.us/Acurusamps.pdf

A200

200 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into B Ohms

20 Hz to 20,000 Hz at no more than 0.06% THO

300 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 4 Ohms 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz

Input Impedance 20K Ohms

Input Sensitivity 1.1 volts for full output

Signal to Noise Ratio: 

110dBAweighted

17"x5"x131/4"

321bs.

I figure, Rotel is going to get connected to Preamp and then Preamp is going to be connected to Amplifier which will be Acurus A200. 99% there won't be an issue between Rotel's digital or analog output matching with preamp's input.

The matching is more of a question between preamp and amplifier.

• Moderators

You lost me.  :lol:

You mentioned matching the impedance of the Rotel Preamp to the Acurus impedance.

I figure, Rotel is going to get connected to Preamp and then Preamp is going to be connected to Amplifier which will be Acurus A200.

Yes, the Rotel DVD player in my signature would be connected to the Rotel preamp, then to the Acurus A200 amp.

The matching is more of a question between preamp and amplifier.

Isn't that the two impedance that were in question to begin with?  Sorry for my confusion.

No worries, Youthman

The Rotel is very simply, "sending a signal" to your amplifier.  Impedance has much more do with your speakers.  The higher impedance of a speaker, the more power it takes to drive them.  It takes twice as much power to drive a 16 ohm speaker as it would to power an 8 ohm speaker. 

Are you running the Acurus now?  If so, no worries friend :)  (unnecessary confusion)

Yes I currently use the HK AVR3490

eww!  I ran an HK 3490 on a pair of the original 7's.  That lasted no more than 2 weeks.  -HATED IT !!!-  (sorry, hate is a very strong word)

Good luck on the auction, Youthman !!! 

You will love the RC-1070 :D

You lost me.  :lol:

You mentioned matching the impedance of the Rotel Preamp to the Acurus impedance.

I figure, Rotel is going to get connected to Preamp and then Preamp is going to be connected to Amplifier which will be Acurus A200.

Yes, the Rotel DVD player in my signature would be connected to the Rotel preamp, then to the Acurus A200 amp. 

So, in that case you'll have to make sure that Rotel Preamp and Acurus A200 amp impedences are matching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I was really looking forward to coming home tonight from church to find a present from Fedex at my front door.  Instead....I receive this email......

We were unable to complete delivery of your package  

Delivery requires a signature from someone at delivery address

Super bummed.  :(   Tomorrow will be a better day.  :lol: