what could a Quarter of Forte look like up on four post stands?

moray james

First let me apologize for not having a digital camera otherwise I would post a picture of my Forte ll up on Skylan Stand four post stands. To further aggravate things I gave them to my son so I wont have access to them anytime soon. So here is a nice picture I just found of a pair of Harbeth M40 which also have 12" woofers and are similar in size to the Forte ll with the old dated looking and useless factory risers removed. The result is a powerful and bold looking monitor with the centre of the mid driver at exactly your seated ear level for perfect stage and image. Best regards Moray James.

PS: I have my two sets of Heresy 3 up on 21 inch high versions of the same stand and they look excellent and sound even better.

post-44375-0-97240000-1427283291_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

C'mon, Moray, it's almost the 21st century.  Don't you have a cell phone with a camera in it?  :P

Those 4-post stands look strong, simple and elegant, and easy to build.  :emotion-21:  

+++

I would need something like that with a 12-14" rise to get my CF-4 horn to ear height.  I'm currently in the process of upgrading the stock K-63 CD to the Moray James Recommended EV DH-1506, and after the upgrade I'd like to put the speakers somewhere semi-permanent and get the speaker placement somewhat dialed in.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the current setup (with the DH-1506 installed onto the horn lens) would be considered ideal.   B)

post-58280-0-80200000-1427289774_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

"what could a quarter of forte look like up on 4 post stands??"

about 25% of a forte.  but who wants to cut their fortes into 4th's?  :P

sorry, couldnt resist.

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

How high are you guys sitting.  18 inches is a lot.  I did six and that puts the midrange driver at ear height when I am sitting.

My Ht seating is elevated on a platform. It is slightly too high, but a lot better than sitting on floor.

• Like 1

How high are you guys sitting.  18 inches is a lot.  I did six and that puts the midrange driver at ear height when I am sitting.

Most peoples ears are about 39 41 inches off the floor. You want the centre of the mid horn or driver to be centred on your ear whan listening.

Most peoples ears are about 39 41 inches off the floor. You want the centre of the mid horn or driver to be centred on your ear whan listening.

But the center of the K400 in Khorns is 45 in. to the floor. Barstools?

But the center of the K400 in Khorns is 45 in. to the floor. Barstools?

That is one of the problem with big loudspeakers. Don't get me wrong the big stuff does amazing things but you have to be able to accomodate it I cant see how a pair of Big cenima cabinets with K402 up on top can show you what they can do in the average living room and I an not saying they would not sound fine just that they need more to shoe the very best they have. Kind of like having a Lambo for the daily bumper to bumper rush our commute.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I cant see how a pair of Big cenima cabinets with K402 up on top can show you what they can do in the average living room

Me either, but I'm sure those who have them don't put them in average size rooms.

18' wide and 34' long, but they are still big cabinets in any room.

Moray, this is an old pic before the MWM's, I tried the forte's (for HT) on tall stands to reach above the Cornwalls , it was a test as we were remodeling the room, It only lasted a couple of months on these stands.

post-9700-0-53720000-1427423183_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• Moderators

New improved stands, not perfect placement by far but we rarely use the HT, it's 2 Ch  99.9% of the time. No WAF here, the wife and daughter picked these speakers out after hearing them, I thought they were kidding, nope.

post-9700-0-34520000-1427423693_thumb.jp

• Like 1

when i raise my fortes on stands they seem to lose some bass output, or the bass sensation you get when they are on the floor.  at 10-12' away on a standard couch my ears are just above the tweeter center & they sound great.  rasied up they lose bass which can make them sound "unbalanced" with my room/setup.

& at 11' back sitting on a couch my k-horns my ear is pretty close to centered in the mids, which in a smaller room like mine can exagerate the already exagerated mid on the k-horn. 

i feel centering your ear in the mid is not worth it on fortes if they lose some of their bass output.  i like my fortes just how klipsch designed em, on the floor with the 4" risers.  the sound field they throw is so full & balanced i see no reason to raise them.  but yes at ear level they will obviously have stronger mids. 

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1