what could a Quarter of Forte look like up on four post stands?

moray james

you can in my experience position the speakers when on stands to compensate for any decrease of low end.

& how does one do that? 

every mid size speaker i have ever owned from 1980's & early 90's 12" woofer MTX home speakers, cheaper sony/kenwood/pioneer 10 &12" woofer speakers etc etc,  they all lose bass when on stands, & the higher you go the more you lose.  most speaker companies even say, for best bass output put the speaker on the floor &/or in the corners of the room. 

dont confuse what im saying, obviously the speaker still puts out the bass freq its rated for whether its on the floor, raised on 18" stands.. or mounted to the ceiling.  but what you lose is the sensation of the bass you feel when its on the floor, bass carries & transfers through the floor, especially on raised floors, maybe not quite as much on a cement slab or basement floor.  

on the same note, if anyone ever feels their klipsch, or any speakers, are "too bright" like i hear many people say quite often, raising the seaker so the bright mid is at ear level just exagerates that fact.  when you look at klipsch horns, especially tractrix horns, they are angled such that they throw the sound field upwards & outwards towards your ear by design. i see no real need to raise them with all things considered. & actually heresy risers tilt the speaker back a bit, effectively raising the mid to point towards your ears more.

unless you are an over critical low level listener or have hearing damage & need the increased mids, or they are in very large rooms & you are sitting 20+' back, raising them isnt usually needed.  for a somewhat large speaker like a forte & in a "average" size room, the floor works just fine IMO.  & for very large speakers like epic cf-3/4, klf 10-30, kg 5.5, etc, they are already up at almost perfect height,  raising 4ft tall,108lb speakers on stands is overkill & just asking for trouble if they get bumped.  

not doubting your expereience or preferences moray, just stating my own, & a little fact as far as exagerating brightness some klipsch can have for some listeners....  plus i like all the bass sensation i can get.     

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

Very simply with boundary reinforcement. When a woofer is close to the floor it has boundary reinforcement (the floor is close and reflects sound) so all you need to do is to replace the missing or the diminished boundary reinforcement with a different boundary ie the wall behind the speaker or the wall to the outside of the speaker ie move the speakers toward the corners. I assure you that you would be stunned to hear the depth of bass extension and the level of bass output that I achieve with my very modified Heresy 3 speakers mounted up on 21 inch high four post (open) Skylan Stands. Best regards Moray James

Very simply with boundary reinforcement. When a woofer is close to the floor it has boundary reinforcement (the floor is close and reflects sound) so all you need to do is to replace the missing or the diminished boundary reinforcement with a different boundary ie the wall behind the speaker or the wall to the outside of the speaker ie move the speakers toward the corners. I assure you that you would be stunned to hear the depth of bass extension and the level of bass output that I achieve with my very modified Heresy 3 speakers mounted up on 21 inch high four post (open) Skylan Stands. Best regards Moray James

When placed on the floor there are two boundaries in play, the wall and the floor. When raised off the floor there will be a notch in the frequency response caused by boundary cancellation created by raising the speaker away from the floor boundary. For a 21 inch speaker stand the notch frequency will be approx. 141 Hz. A small box such as the Heresy has little forward directivity at 141 Hz, and is essentially omnidirectional. A bass horn that is operating in that frequency range has enough forward directivity to be essentially immune from boundary effects. Here's a writeup that explains this effect:

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/new%20boundary%20cancellation.pdf

These notes are written for PA system users where the larger direct radiator bass cabinets, often stacked in multiple box arrays, are employed. Such an array of subwoofers have greater forward directivity than a small box like the Heresy. For that usage, the general advice is to locate the subs closer than 2 1/2 feet and farther than 8 feet from any boundary. For a Heresy, I think the best way to use these speakers is the way PWK intended them to be used, on the floor with slanted risers aimed toward the listener, close to the wall.

Edited by Don Richard

ok but, you are still at a loss compared to being on the floor since you still have those 2 walls in the first place....  if you did what you explained while on the floor the same increases would happen.  hence, the better bass when placed in a corner & ON THE FLOOR. 

my point & the fact is, that when raising the speaker 12-18+ inches off the floor you lose bass (or "boundry reinforcement") compared to being on the floor.  plain & simple.  

ok but, you are still at a loss compared to being on the floor since you still have those 2 walls in the first place....  if you did what you explained while on the floor the same increases would happen.  hence, the better bass when placed in a corner & ON THE FLOOR. 

my point & the fact is, that when raising the speaker 12-18+ inches off the floor you lose bass (or "boundry reinforcement") compared to being on the floor.  plain & simple.

I have the Heresy 3 raised up but move it closer to the wall behind and or toward the corner. If you take some time and experiment I think that you would learn a lot. I have found that woofers and reflex vents (especially vents) mounted very close to floors or walls can generate a lot of turbulence and don't sound very good. We are getting rather off topic. I did mention that my Heresy 3 are modified and they do make more bass than the stock cabinet do. I did not intend this to become some debate on the technical aspects of cabinet bass loading but rather one of visual esthetics I simply wanted to show folks how nice a set of Forte size speakers could look with the stock risers removed and placed upon some quality four post stands. Thanks for looking. I am done now. Best regards Moray James.

oh, ok....  didnt intend it to be a debate either, just stating my experiences with raising speakers.  i have taken some time,  25+ years of playing around with speakers, not much left to learn about raising them on stands. 

you stated your experience/opinions, i stated mine.  thought thats what this forum was for, an exchange of ideas.  didnt mean to upset you sir.  :unsure: