Epic CF-3 Single $200 Cancelled!

ZEUS121996

From a CF-3  with a bad crossover and woofer, the 2nd woofer and horn work great. I'm asking $150 for both. These are SOLD

If anyone's interested, I have the orphan CF-3 in medium oak for sale for $200+ shipping. There's a 3/4 inch cig burn on the top of the good speaker. I also have the cabinet from the bad CF-3 FREE to members with at least 200 posts. Shipping is on you, I'm north of Chicago

After the feedback I've received, I'm going to keep the orphan and use it as a center. I just have a little work to do, longer ports

TY

Mark

post-48599-0-02280000-1427300830_thumb.j

post-48599-0-51880000-1427300871_thumb.j

post-48599-0-80200000-1427300889_thumb.j

post-48599-0-38320000-1427300946_thumb.j

post-48599-0-69280000-1427300967_thumb.j

post-48599-0-97120000-1427335776_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

ahh, the infamous cig burn!  cant beleive what people did to these speakers.  :angry:  :(  :unsure: 

how do you pay thousands of dollars for speakers with real wood veneers & then put plants or glasses or cigs on them?  & klipsch seem to be a magnet for idiots that do this. 

IDK, The guy I got them from had them in his bedroom about a foot apart. He had a wire running from 1 horn to the other like a jumper cable. When I opened it up, the negative wire was cut in half and the jumper cable was his solution. The grills are available but broken in half.  Another project I really dont want to pursue, pickup is obviously preferred

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

How would that CF-3 work as a center channel? I've got CF-4s as my mains in my HT setup. This could be an interesting match. Would having the CF-3 lay horizontal present any problems, like dispersion from the horn? 

Mark, do you know by chance what series these CF-3s are?

Thanks

G

How would that CF-3 work as a center channel? I've got CF-4s as my mains in my HT setup. This could be an interesting match. Would having the CF-3 lay horizontal present any problems, like dispersion from the horn? 

Thanks

G

it would work great & be a massive center able to do full range.  people have modified many other speakers to be a woofer/tweeter/woofer arrangement, the good thing about the epics is they are already set up that way (d'appolito) & make for a excellent center.

i dont think dispersion will be an issue at all, yes the horn is more vertical laying on its side, but for teh sound this will put out you will never notice a difference.  for the price hes asking this will make an amazing center & a perfect match to cf-4's. 

Edited by klipschfancf4

Thanks

G

Yes, it make an audible difference, the horizontal dispersion is clearly more narrow.  I am working on modding my CF-4 so I have one upright, one on its side to listen to at the same time.  Because the horn is not screwed in I have rotated it both ways because I was interested in the question you asked.

I think you could work it out rotating the horn by putting a cover or plate in the center to plug the opening and placing the horn on top (side if horizontal)

+++

EDIT:  I just changed my mind.  Because you asked, I just now did a more critical listening test, blind, both sitting and standing.  There is far less off-axis problems than I remembered when I wrote the above.  In addition, I don't know if it's because I have the horizontal speaker on a pedestal, but it sounds really good on its side.  I know "the book" says the opposite, but that is what my ears are telling me,

My conclusion is still the same, the CF-3 which shares the same CD and horn would make a tremendous matched center.

post-58280-0-67240000-1427394258_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

My conclusion is still the same, the CF-3 which shares the same CD and horn would make a tremendous matched center.

that has been my experience. my 3channel HT setup uses 3 CF3's, the center is laying on it's side, atop the 4th unused speaker. i have no complaints with how it sounds. FWIW i have the L&R speakers jammed in corners and toed in to the sweet spot. for HT i use the center for a better center image for multiple listeners. for most music, i only use 2 channels and sit in the sweet spot. having the center as an option makes the CF setup very versatile, and phenomenal either way it's configured. the wide spacing works well with most music, but some poorly engineered tracks really benefit from having the center channel available, for example some pop/rock with a hard L/R mix with little mono content. anything can be made to sound good in this room. i could not say that when i only had 2 channels available in the past, and still cannot say the same about my Khorn 2ch room. my humble advice to gmjungbluth would be to go for it.

• Like 1

Zeus, I don't know where my brain is.  Have you considered doing the opposite, picking up a used CD and woofer, then sending the XO off for a quick fix?  I will have a pair of CD's available shortly as I am upgrading my CF-4 CD's to EV DH-1506.

It's kind of unusual for three things to go wrong at the same time.  Any idea what happened to the XO?

+++

Serial Number.  The CF series ran three years, 94-95-96

222 (Day of Year, 222)  59  (reverse the numbers for the year, so '95)    and the unit number 4223

Edited by wvu80

What a great thread! Zeus, thanks for running the serial numbers. Unfortunately I measured the space I have under my projection screen and a CF-3 wouldn't fit. My wife wasn't enthused about the idea either. So I'll be staying with my Boston VR-12C center for now. Which I really do like, but upgrade-itis is setting in!

G

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly did you sell?  A single CD+horn, and a single woofer?

+++

That should leave you a complete CF-3 with some minor cosmetic damage on top, which somebody should grab as a center.

And you should have one empty cab, no drivers, and no working XO.  That should also be scooped up for transformation into a center.

Dave

You have it correct. the woofer went for $79.99+ $25 shipping and the horn went for $104.99+  $25 shipping. And that leaves me with one very nice sounding CF-3 with a 3/4 inch cig burn on the medium oak cabinet.I have the empty cabinet on CL FOR $75, or its free to members with at least 200 posts, they pick it up or pay the shipping. You actually had me thinking about keeping it for a center as I am selling my KLF C7, which will be replaced by another Belle. The Belle won lol

Mark